Never seen / heard this before...

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Armistice

Never seen / heard this before...

Post by Armistice »

As we know, I know jack about actual real drums, but this was new to me... from about 12s - 15s in the vid, you'll see what I mean. Snare drum.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/L_XJ_s5IsQc[/BBvideo]

How I came to be watching a Snarky Puppy vid in the first place is another story all together. Thanks Facebook... :lollers:

Any other snare drum "attachments" actual drummers use?
Armistice

Re: Never seen / heard this before...

Post by Armistice »

Fuck, just realised this band has 4 keyboard players... :eep:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I've seen Louis Cole do that quite a bit, with a little cymbal on the snare or toms. Honestly I've always hated the way that sounds, but here it actually sounds cool. They got a really good mix out of this pretty large ensemble.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Yeah, I noticed he has a second un-cymballed snare there for most of the song. Would have got a bit much over a sustained period I reckon.
rayc

Post by rayc »

A LOT of drum kit for not much result...then again I'd say that about the band.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

For me it has interesting bits, where there's a theme / melody going on, but it's a bit noodly overall to listen to it in its entirety. I never got all the way through.

But I do enjoy seeing really good musicians doing their thing, irrespective of what genre they're playing - these guys are all pretty good. And I thought the drumming was some of the best of it. I like good complex drums. That and the horns. But 4 keyboard players? Serious underperformance issues there...

I'm sure any of them give a rat's what I think.

I ended up there since, clicking on something plug-inny on FB, I'm now barraged with the latest music tech. One of them was a ring that this guy playing a keyboard was wearing that somehow operated as a volume controller according to its proximity to presumably a blue tooth device controlling the volume on the keyboard. Interesting, but hardly life changing... and he said "Hi, I'm XXXXX (can't remember) and I play keyboards in Snarky Puppy, and so I googled...
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:50 am One of them was a ring that this guy playing a keyboard was wearing that somehow operated as a volume controller according to its proximity to presumably a blue tooth device controlling the volume on the keyboard.
Thermin technology replication I suppose.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:31 pm
Armistice wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:50 am One of them was a ring that this guy playing a keyboard was wearing that somehow operated as a volume controller according to its proximity to presumably a blue tooth device controlling the volume on the keyboard.
Thermin technology replication I suppose.
I didn't see that it was necessarily anything you couldn't do with a volume pedal but it did allow keyboard players to make more dramatic flourishes with their hands - something they sorely need to do to bring the focus of attention to themselves, and you only need one hand to play a keyboard anyway, apparently...
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I kinda like the cymbal on a snare sound. But I like percussion with very little ringing

If I were paying this band, the ancillary percussionist, two guitarists, and two keyboardists would be right out
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I've never personally seen the cymbal on the snare trick. I don't care for it.

I know this one drummer that's like maybe 26-27 years old and he's pretty much a virtuoso master drum prodigy. His training and education resume is pretty impressive. He is one of those extreme limb independence guys that can play a different pattern in a different time signature with each limb and still make it all come together. It's fucking wild. I actually hate the way he drums, there is not one single rock and roll thing about it, but clearly he's well beyond technically proficient. And he's a very nice kid. I like him a lot. Good kid.

Anyway, he has this thing he lays on his snare. It's like....a bunch of beads. A few strands of beads. Small beads. There's about 6 strings of small mardi gras beads. He flips these beads onto the snare while he's playing to tame the snare or make it more rattley. He'll just flip them on and off with a drumstick like he's flipping pancakes....all while he's playing wild ass tricky weirdo jazz syncopation beats. And you can hear it actually doing things. Pretty amazing.
Rebel Yell