Vocal processing method

Not just a notorious prison, but the forum to learn everything you need to know about getting your vocal tracks down, from a whisper to a scream, and all stops in-between.
vomitHatSteve

Re: Vocal processing method

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:42 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:29 am
I'm just loading a reverb impulse into ReaVerb.
Reaverb won't do it. You need a different IR loader.
You could tack the pre-delay on the front of the impulse file itself, I suppose
Alison

Post by Alison »

JD01 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:52 pm Ok, I start with a take that I like.
Leaving it totally unprocessed I adjust the volume until its about right.
Check to see if could do with noise gating.
Hi pass it until I can really hear the effect then back off a bit.
Compression.
Sort out the amount of reverb and readjust the volume (should have started to sound like a mix by now)
Usually add a "vocal fattener " delay but then back it off bit so its not too apparent.
Once I've got this how I want it I'll add my final "shaping" EQ usually involving another hi pass and then working out where to shape it.
So the chain ends up as EQ(HiPass), compression, EQ(shaping), delay.

Then then its sent to reverb.

Often I'll add a distortion effect after the 2nd EQ.

What you think of this? What do you do?
So, again, chiming in a bit late but, I'm beginning to realize that it's never too late with this group so, on that note (pun intended). . .
I have recently fallen in love with the Nectar elements 3 on my vocals, one of the iZotope plugins I most recently started to use. The only thing that bothers me about it is I can hear my breathing more. Not terribly sure what to do about that. Then I add Eq and, finally, reverb. That's really about it.

I'm just starting to learn about Highpass filters but I'm not sure my vocals need it.?? I'd like to get a "warmer" sound with my vocals but I'm not sure how to go about that. Compression maybe?

Really liking the sound of your vocals lately, JD, I can hear them so much better!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

You might as well high pass your vocal. There's bugger all below about 125hz in your voice that will actually have any tonality to it. That'll just be mud.