Vocal Exercises.

Not just a notorious prison, but the forum to learn everything you need to know about getting your vocal tracks down, from a whisper to a scream, and all stops in-between.
CrowsofFritz

Vocal Exercises.

Post by CrowsofFritz »

What do y’all do? @L[mention]Lt. Bob[/mention]

Do you just sing hard songs or do you have any regimen?
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Re: Vocal Exercises.

Post by Greg_L »

I do nothing. I just sing and hopefully it doesn't take too many tries. I don't practice any instruments, and I practice on vocals even less than all the other practicing I don't do.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I took lessons as a teen to learn the basics (stop if it hurts, good posture, support with the diaphragm)

Otherwise, I just try to sing constantly. (Being in 5 bands prior to the 'vid helped)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I sing in the shower and sing along with kids tv themes.
I sometimes end up doing 10 takes on a single fucking line.

It takes me ages to record vocals. I'm shit at it.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Trick for me is knowing the words without thinking about them - only way to get there is to sing the thing a lot before attempting takes, thus developing some muscle memory along the way, but I don't do anything you'd recognise as a vocal exercise.

Later takes are always better than earlier takes, so the earlier takes end up being the exercise... 😲
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:28 pm Trick for me is knowing the words without thinking about them - only way to get there is to sing the thing a lot before attempting takes, thus developing some muscle memory along the way, but I don't do anything you'd recognise as a vocal exercise.

Later takes are always better than earlier takes, so the earlier takes end up being the exercise... 😲
Ah. Thats what I'm doing... learning the words. Its not my inherent shitness.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:28 pm Trick for me is knowing the words without thinking about them - only way to get there is to sing the thing a lot before attempting takes, thus developing some muscle memory along the way, but I don't do anything you'd recognise as a vocal exercise.

100% this ^^^^^

It's actually pretty easy to sing something when you know wtf you're singing.
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

I usually do some vocal warm ups on my way to school in the morning. For warm ups it is best to start easy and comfortable.

"Singing" through a plastic straw or with lip rolls helps with placing the sound correctly while keeping your larynx relaxed.

It is a good practice to sing scales and arpeggios throughout your range. I liken this to practicing chords or notes on a guitar. The more you play/sing them the better the muscle memory, and easier/quicker you can do what you are hearing in your head.

Also good to sing starting as low or high as you can go and drift through all of the different registers(chest/head/falsetto). This develops your mixed voice to make your voice sound smooth throughout your range.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Lol I’m the exact opposite, I write a song in 20 minutes, think, “oh this sounds promising,” and record it immediately. I sometimes ad lib lines when I forget it. In the latest song I did, I recorded it three times, and the third one sounds the best. I really need to be patient lmao
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:34 am

100% this ^^^^^

It's actually pretty easy to sing something when you know wtf you're singing.
Just slap some ramones lyrics on top of whatever other melody
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:45 pm What do y’all do? @L@Lt. Bob

I sing 4 hour gigs 3-5 days a week even doing 9 hours on Thanksgiving day ..... all the vocal exercise I need or want.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:14 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:45 pm What do y’all do? @L@Lt. Bob

I sing 4 hour gigs 3-5 days a week even doing 9 hours on Thanksgiving day ..... all the vocal exercise I need or want.
I’m about to attempt the Beatles medley. Something I wouldn’t have been able to try just a year ago. I’ve been singing songs out of my range in the car ride home every day since it’s a long drive and I’ve been trying to entertain myself. I sound shitty when singing them but it’s really paid off.

The only notes I can’t hit in the medley now are the “oh yeah! All right!” at the beginning of The End. I just won’t sing those.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:19 pm
I’m about to attempt the Beatles medley. Something I wouldn’t have been able to try just a year ago. I’ve been singing songs out of my range in the car ride home every day since it’s a long drive and I’ve been trying to entertain myself. I sound shitty when singing them but it’s really paid off.

The only notes I can’t hit in the medley now are the “oh yeah! All right!” at the beginning of The End. I just won’t sing those.
Jacobs Vocal Academy has loads of exercises on Spotify for extending range, etc. Might be good to work some of those into drive as well.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

musicturtle wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:11 pm Jacobs Vocal Academy has loads of exercises on Spotify for extending range, etc. Might be good to work some of those into drive as well.
Cheers, I'll look that up. Might be better than the YouTube narcissists who mainly want you to see how good they are.