I've always thought these looked cool.

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Lt. Bob

I've always thought these looked cool.

Post by Lt. Bob »

I'm sure getting a head for them is a nightmare and they prolly don't sound that good but damn they look cool!

https://voxamps.com/product/telstar/

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Re: I've always thought these looked cool.

Post by Greg_L »

I used to know a guy that had a vintage kit called a Trixie or something like that. It has a flattened kick drum just like that. It was also bigger on one end than the other. I have no idea where he got drum heads for that thing. It sounded like a normal kick drum.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:47 pm I used to know a guy that had a vintage kit called a Trixie or something like that. It has a flattened kick drum just like that. It was also bigger on one end than the other. I have no idea where he got drum heads for that thing. It sounded like a normal kick drum.
according to their website the purpose was to have basically two different sized kick drums in one depending on where you put the pedal.
Doesn't make sense to me since it seems like it would sound the same regardless however you can make different sounds on drums by hitting them in different places so maybe?
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

rdavidr did a few videos that featured that same kit. I thought it sounded pretty darned good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtnBemyaW_Y

My favorite comment below was "your kick drum looks a little low on air. Might want to inflate it" :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:54 pm
according to their website the purpose was to have basically two different sized kick drums in one depending on where you put the pedal.
Doesn't make sense to me since it seems like it would sound the same regardless however you can make different sounds on drums by hitting them in different places so maybe?
Interesting. Yeah maybe. I always just thought they looked like that because it was the 60s. :lollers2:

With most kick pedals you can alter the length and stroke of the beater. I like mine smacking dead center but a lot of guys like it shorter just lower than center because it's got a faster feel and a tighter quicker smaller bass drum sort of sound. I guess not everyone wants Bonham's bass drum sound. :drums:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:11 pm "your kick drum looks a little low on air. Might want to inflate it" :D
:lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2:

I was going to respond with very near the same thing. glad i didn't.

I think it looks pretty cool actually.
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:54 pm you can make different sounds on drums by hitting them in different places so maybe?
Seems like repositioning the beater would be the simpler solution.

Toting it around would also be more of a hassle than a regular kick.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:29 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:54 pm you can make different sounds on drums by hitting them in different places so maybe?
Seems like repositioning the beater would be the simpler solution.

Toting it around would also be more of a hassle than a regular kick.
Well that is what they do .... reposition the beat to the smaller or larger side.
And if you have a case I'm not seeing why it would be harder to move than any large kick.

I'm not arguing for it BTW ....... I think the relative unavailability of heads for it would make it a no-go all by itself.
But it's still a somewhat interesting idea.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I think it looks awesome @[mention]Lt. Bob[/mention] not being a drummer or knowing a good drum kit if i tripped over one i would likely buy that just becasue it looks cool as hell.

Same for this one.

Looks cool, probably sounds weird. But would be right at home in my room if i had room for it and the skills to play it.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

yeah that's a pretty set too!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

All I see is little toms and I just say NO!
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:33 pm All I see is little toms and I just say NO!
To be honest i thought the whole kit looked really small and compact. 100% All gimmick i suspect because it just looks cool. I think when these came out there were also seafom green, red and black versions of this kit. I can't help but wonder if the sizes got a bit bigger as well with the different colors?

Doesn't matter I likely won't chase it down.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:18 pm
And if you have a case I'm not seeing why it would be harder to move than any large kick.

I'm not arguing for it BTW ....... I think the relative unavailability of heads for it would make it a no-go all by itself.
But it's still a somewhat interesting idea.
Sorry, I meant reposition the beater on a normal, round kick to achieve the same effect.

That video said that earlier models had a divider down the middle, which seems like it would be good for emphasizing the drum's ability to handle it. Putting a double kick (or maybe just 2 pedals) on that could get you some real interesting possibilities.

Yeah, I hadn't really thought of cases. I guess if you're using a hard case, you can pack some of your other stuff around it. I wonder if you could make one custom that'd hold the kick and a snare and be nice and rectangular?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:33 pm

Sorry, I meant reposition the beater on a normal, round kick to achieve the same effect.

and that's what I'm wondering about and don't know or have any idea.

Could you get the same effect on a round drum?
On that thing if you put the beater to the small side you have, for instance , a quicker reflection from the shell because it's so much closer to the beater.
Do internal reflections impact the sound? I dunno.

Like I said my gut reaction is that it's gonna sound pretty much the same as far as resonance and such is concerned.
But it seems like the head might be tighter and respond quicker on the smaller side and the side reflections would certainly be quicker.

I just don't know ....... I guess Greg's gonna have to get one so we can find out.
:sherlock:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:16 pm

To be honest i thought the whole kit looked really small and compact. 100% All gimmick i suspect because it just looks cool. I think when these came out there were also seafom green, red and black versions of this kit. I can't help but wonder if the sizes got a bit bigger as well with the different colors?

Doesn't matter I likely won't chase it down.
Small toms really aren't a big deal. They often record easier than big toms. I just don't like them. I'd rather fight with big toms. Big toms sound better to me.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I think that weird drum kit looks great. Getting major drum lust now though, long way to go until my attic room is ready.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:36 am Getting major drum lust now though,
Mwahahahahahahaha
Rebel Yell