Drum track....

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
rammer24

Drum track....

Post by rammer24 »

OK, so just to try and fill up a few forums, here's a drum track. Not really looking for critiques, but if you got any, I'll take them.

This is the drum track from the tune I posted in the Tone thread earlier today.

Feel free to download this, use it in one of your songs, chop it up, whatever you want. I can post it without any reverb, I can post the individual tracks, anything. Just ask. I'll do whatever you want with it.

https://ramirami.com/files/272255/deaf-and-drum.mp3
Greg_L

Re: Drum track....

Post by Greg_L »

Fuck, how did I miss this too? I'm terrible at this new forum. Lol. Will check this later. Definitely wanna hear this.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

You're not missing much. It's just the drum track from the tune I posted that you thought was in a wierd timing, but isn't.

Not sure if you know, but if you hit "View Un-read Posts" on the home page, you'll never miss a post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Damn Rami that sounds great. Is that the Supraphonic? If so, you go it sounding good. I like how since you're left handed it sounds like it's from my right handed perspective. :mrgreen:
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Thanx man. :cool:

Yeah, finally found the sweet spot on the Supra. I kept trying to tune it higher than it wanted to be tuned. I finally found its' sweet spot.

Funny about the panning. Unitl about a year ago, I always panned my drums the opposite way. Then, I did a video and realized that the sound went one day, annd the video went the other. I'm playing my hi-hat and it's coming out of the opposite side. So, I switched it to audence perspective for a lefty, which is really just drummer's perspective for a rightie. :)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote:Thanx man. :cool:

Yeah, finally found the sweet spot on the Supra. I kept trying to tune it higher than it wanted to be tuned. I finally found its' sweet spot.

Funny about the panning. Unitl about a year ago, I always panned my drums the opposite way. Then, I did a video and realized that the sound went one day, annd the video went the other. I'm playing my hi-hat and it's coming out of the opposite side. So, I switched it to audence perspective for a lefty, which is really just drummer's perspective for a rightie. :)
Hey Rambo, here's some of my righty perspective audience perspective for a lefty talking to a lefty about lefty vs righty perspective.

Drumbs

I pulled these right from a semi-mix. Pretty basic, no reverb, little EQ and compression on the drum bus.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

That sounds great, man. You must have a nice room because there's no way I can leave my drum tracks dry. I don't always add as much as I did to the track I posted, it has more than usual, but your track can go right into a mix. My room is too dry. Yours sound great.

Next thing I need to work on is my floor tom. When you ride on your floor, it doesn't rumble too mcuh, but it still has a nice low thump. On the track I posted, I ride on the floor at one point, and I get too much of a "vroom" under everything.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote:That sounds great, man. You must have a nice room because there's no way I can leave my drum tracks dry. I don't always add as much as I did to the track I posted, it has more than usual, but your track can go right into a mix. My room is too dry. Yours sound great.
Thanks dude. My room isn't that great to me. It's small and boxy. I've been fighting it for over ten years. Lol. I think I've just figured it out for the most part. I do usually add some plate or big room impulse reverb to my drum bus. I just keep it subtle. Just a hint of huge reverb.
Next thing I need to work on is my floor tom. When you ride on your floor, it doesn't rumble too mcuh, but it still has a nice low thump. On the track I posted, I ride on the floor at one point, and I get too much of a "vroom" under everything.
I do really like my floor toms. Not so much in that drum mix, but it's okay. They can sound better than that. My heads are old. I need to change them. Those are Remo Coated Emperors and Evans G1 bottoms. I've got a moongel exactly opposite from the mic spot. The floor toms will sometimes rumble too much without a moongel.

What I do like about my little clip there is the snare. That's a good capture of what my Supraphonic sounds like. I did a good job on that part of it. :D
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Greg_L wrote:I do usually add some plate or big room impulse reverb to my drum bus. I just keep it subtle. Just a hint of huge reverb
Yeah, I use the Lexicon impulses, too. Almost too many choices. I have the room, plate, and hall bundles. Almost never use the halls. In this clip, I used some kind of drum plate, but that was an exception. I usually only use plates on my vocals, and one of the rooms on my drums (and a smidge on the guitars just to put them in the same "room"). My favorite for the drums seems to be the "Big Boom Room" impulse.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote:
Greg_L wrote:I do usually add some plate or big room impulse reverb to my drum bus. I just keep it subtle. Just a hint of huge reverb
Yeah, I use the Lexicon impulses, too. Almost too many choices. I have the room, plate, and hall bundles. Almost never use the halls. In this clip, I used some kind of drum plate, but that was an exception. I usually only use plates on my vocals, and one of the rooms on my drums (and a smidge on the guitars just to put them in the same "room"). My favorite for the drums seems to be the "Big Boom Room" impulse.
I think you and I use the same impulse files. Maybe we swapped them with each other at some point? I don't even remember how I got them. "Big Boom Room" is definitely one of the ones in my reverb folder.

Some of those Lexicon impulses are really good. I like how real and natural they sound. I hate the fake metallic kind of reverb sound you get from most reverb plug ins. Unless something better comes out, I'm sticking with reverb impulse files.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah, me too. I have about 5-8 actual reverb plug-ins. But I never use anything but the impulses now. Come to think of it, I might have sent you a shit ton of those reverbs a long long time ago.

A few good plug-ins are the Glaceverb, Modern Flash verb, and my favorite is the Epic Verb (Variey of Sound). But I still go to the Lexicons now.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote:Yeah, me too. I have about 5-8 actual reverb plug-ins. But I never use anything but the impulses now. Come to think of it, I might have sent you a shit ton of those reverbs a long long time ago.

A few good plug-ins are the Glaceverb, Modern Flash verb, and my favorite is the Epic Verb (Variey of Sound). But I still go to the Lexicons now.
I have Glaceverb and used to use it, but the Lexicon impulses are way way better to me. I'd rather just try different impulses than fiddle with the weird parameters on Glaceverb.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

The thing I hate about Gaceverb is that every time you change something, you have to re-adjust the "Wet/Dry". It's as if they made the reverb not realizeing most people will use it as a send effect. Just leave it totally wet, you idiots.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote:The thing I hate about Gaceverb is that every time you change something, you have to re-adjust the "Wet/Dry". It's as if they made the reverb not realizeing most people will use it as a send effect. Just leave it totally wet, you idiots.
Lol. I've never used it as a send as far as I can remember. I mostly have used it as an insert on things like tambourines and handclaps.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Well, there you go. I've never used a reverb as anything other than a send. Lol. :)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote:
rammer24 wrote:Thanx man. :cool:

Hey Rambo, here's some of my righty perspective audience perspective for a lefty talking to a lefty about lefty vs righty perspective.

Drumbs

I pulled these right from a semi-mix. Pretty basic, no reverb, little EQ and compression on the drum bus.
Bloody hell, Greg. These sound good.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote:
rammer24 wrote: Yeah, I use the Lexicon impulses, too. Almost too many choices. I have the room, plate, and hall bundles. Almost never use the halls. In this clip, I used some kind of drum plate, but that was an exception. I usually only use plates on my vocals, and one of the rooms on my drums (and a smidge on the guitars just to put them in the same "room"). My favorite for the drums seems to be the "Big Boom Room" impulse.
I think you and I use the same impulse files. Maybe we swapped them with each other at some point? I don't even remember how I got them. "Big Boom Room" is definitely one of the ones in my reverb folder.

Some of those Lexicon impulses are really good. I like how real and natural they sound. I hate the fake metallic kind of reverb sound you get from most reverb plug ins. Unless something better comes out, I'm sticking with reverb impulse files.
I use these impulses too. When I first started attempting to mix EZ Drummer drums without using any of the bollocks that comes with the software Greg recommended Snare Trash - I occasionally try other ones but always come back to this one. I just like the sound of it. I also use a hint of Guitar Room on my guitars and Live Room on vocals.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I used "Snare trash" for a long time because it's the least dark sounding reverb of the bunch. I use others now, though. I always choose whatever reverb I want on my drums, and that's the reverb that will go on the guitars. I don't want the "band" to sound like everyone's in a different room. Execept for vocals. I'll usually find a plate reverb for vocals, but I put so little on vocals, that it's just to give some slight depth. I never, ever put reverb on bass.