Gimme the inputs...and more inputs!

Troubleshooting your gear or shopping around for new stuff. This is where you need to be.
Greg_L

Gimme the inputs...and more inputs!

Post by Greg_L »

Got some new shit for my drum recording room.

Behringer UMC1820 interface
Behringer ADA8200 8ch mic pre

This gives me 16 easy mic inputs for total drum recording ridiculousness. My previous setup was a hodge podge of an interface, external mixer, and old Firepod for all the inputs. It worked but it was a clunky cabling mess. This is way more efficient and contained. I got the interface installed and the ADA8200 syncd up and Reaper sees ALL THE INPUTS! :eep: :not worthy: :punk: :drums:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Re: Gimme the inputs...and more inputs!

Post by Lt. Bob »

thaat's awesome ...... when it comes to available input tracks, mo' is mo' better!

:like:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah but one thing I HATE, and this goes for tons of modern interfaces, is the fucking two inputs on the front and however many is left on the back. So. Fucking. Dumb. Why do they do this? It's moronic. I've had several interfaces with all the XLR inputs right on the front and they're fine. But now it seems they damn near all split them between front and back and I fucking hate it.
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Will you get a patchbay so that you don’t have to reach behind the interface?
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:03 am Will you get a patchbay so that you don’t have to reach behind the interface?
Not for this. I have a snake that will run to the kit and once the cables are connected they'll stay there virtually forever.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Hell yeah, that's awesome! Let us know how the UMC1820 and ADA8200 get along together.

My ADA8200 has been rock solid with my RME FireFace UCX for almost 5 years now. I never turn them off, and they're always just waiting there for me. I've got 16 inputs and 16 outputs (although mine is more of a mix of mic and line, since my interface only has 2 integrated preamps) and I really like it. That 1820 might just be the best value/dollar on the market today.

I've thought about upgrading a couple of times, but dangit the ADA is just so solid that I can't find an excuse. And the Midas-designed preamps are great as well.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:31 am Hell yeah, that's awesome! Let us know how the UMC1820 and ADA8200 get along together.

My ADA8200 has been rock solid with my RME FireFace UCX for almost 5 years now. I never turn them off, and they're always just waiting there for me. I've got 16 inputs and 16 outputs (although mine is more of a mix of mic and line, since my interface only has 2 integrated preamps) and I really like it. That 1820 might just be the best value/dollar on the market today.

I've thought about upgrading a couple of times, but dangit the ADA is just so solid that I can't find an excuse. And the Midas-designed preamps are great as well.
That's what I've been reading, and honest to God, as I was Googling one of your older videos about the ADA8200 was the top recommendation.

I'm pretty computer illiterate, but both of these units installed and fired right up properly with no effort. They syncd together immediately and seamlessly. It was 500 bucks for both and I don't know how or where you'll get this many ins and outs for 500 bucks. And it's all really just for drums. Since I'm not drumming live anymore I can pretty much just set it all up and forget it.

Both the interface and preamp look and feel very well made. I think Behringer has upped their game. The knobs, buttons, and jacks all feel very smooth and solid.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

If I get an interface I'm getting this!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... e-recorder

:smiles:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Nice. The back entry isn't, really, going to be a bother after you've set up.
Behri have upped their game to keep up.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I think it's amazing that you're able to simply hook it up and Reaper immediately sees all of it ....... DONE!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:16 am Nice. The back entry isn't, really, going to be a bother after you've set up.
Behri have upped their game to keep up.
The rear inputs are not a problem for the set-and-forget scenario I'm gonna have - besides it being just uglier having cables going front and back.

But the rear inputs are an inconvenience with my Focusrite downstairs. I don't wanna have shit connected permanently, but I have to with 6 of the damn inputs being on the back, and I don't wanna reach back there constantly to move things around. So I have to have dedicated channels and cables snaking around my room. I'm not a huge fan of that.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:52 am I think it's amazing that you're able to simply hook it up and Reaper immediately sees all of it ....... DONE!
Well you have to tell Reaper to see it. You open a little preference window and tell Reaper which driver to use and the range of inputs and outputs to use. It's literally 3 or 4 mouse clicks.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Anyway here's my miking plan:

1-2 - Kick drum inside and outside
3-4 - Snare top and bottom
5-8 - Toms
9-10 - Overheads
11-12 - Room
13 - Hi Hats
14 - Ride cymbal
15-16 - Wild cards.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I kind of like having a bunch of inputs in back. I've got a faux snake wired up, so I can run it to the mixing board for recording band practices.

I also have 8 XLRs on the front panel which I'm constantly switching out. Only having 2 would be pretty frustrating.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:31 am I kind of like having a bunch of inputs in back. I've got a faux snake wired up, so I can run it to the mixing board for recording band practices.

I also have 8 XLRs on the front panel which I'm constantly switching out. Only having 2 would be pretty frustrating.
Yeah if it's something that's gonna stay connected damn near forever then the rear inputs are no big deal. Or if ALL of them are on the back, then also no big deal. My gripe is two being on the front, the rest on the back. I think it's totally dumb.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:24 am That's what I've been reading, and honest to God, as I was Googling one of your older videos about the ADA8200 was the top recommendation.

I'm pretty computer illiterate, but both of these units installed and fired right up properly with no effort. They syncd together immediately and seamlessly. It was 500 bucks for both and I don't know how or where you'll get this many ins and outs for 500 bucks. And it's all really just for drums. Since I'm not drumming live anymore I can pretty much just set it all up and forget it.

Both the interface and preamp look and feel very well made. I think Behringer has upped their game. The knobs, buttons, and jacks all feel very smooth and solid.
Ha, that's awesome. That video is like 2nd or 3rd all-time most viewed on my channel. I haven't gone back to watch it in a long time, I imagine it's pretty painful to watch :D

I've used the UMC22 and UMC404HD from the U-Phoria line and I agree, they HD interfaces are very good, and at an unbeatable price point. I love the per-channel -20 dB pad that expands your input range, and the per-channel inserts are great as well if you want to get any effects inline on the front end of the signal (although it looks like they did away with that for the 1820...I guess there's only so much room in a 1U rack space :)).

So my drums have been living in our front room for a few months now. I moved them up there one day just to try recording in a large room with high ceilings. My wife actually likes having them in there because they're pretty :D Anyways, I offered to move them last week since Xmas decor is going up, and she actually wanted them to stay put. So it's looking like I'm going to need a secondary recording setup as well. I just might do the same as you and get an 1820 and another ADA8200 to stash in the living room so I can record with more than the 4 channels that my MOTU M4 has available. 16 mic preamps for $500 is pretty damned tempting. Especially since the RME equivalent would cost me a few thousand.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:04 pm

So my drums have been living in our front room for a few months now. I moved them up there one day just to try recording in a large room with high ceilings. My wife actually likes having them in there because they're pretty :D Anyways, I offered to move them last week since Xmas decor is going up, and she actually wanted them to stay put. So it's looking like I'm going to need a secondary recording setup as well. I just might do the same as you and get an 1820 and another ADA8200 to stash in the living room so I can record with more than the 4 channels that my MOTU M4 has available. 16 mic preamps for $500 is pretty damned tempting. Especially since the RME equivalent would cost me a few thousand.
Haha your wife is awesome! Definitely take advantage of that arrangement! :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

I had to buy separate Toslink cables to connect the preamp to the interface. The ADA8200 does not come with the cables you'd need to use it. Kind of dumb. :confused: :cuckoo:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Slick set up man. that is quite the rig. I forgot you were doing the dedicated drum room thing. That should be slick as heck. Very curious to get the full Beringer review. I have heard some rumblings that they are getting better with their products which would be kind of cool i guess because i'd be curious to try some of their monitors out.

The front back thing was sort of a mind melter for me. I wasn't sure if i liked it or not at first. i wasn't fan and thought it was going to be a huge chore. But i figured i don't really do much and the 18i20 was very much a luxury i didn't really need for what i do. So now settled on just having dedicated cables numbered and organized for whatever i might need to be doing. I have two that go up into my ceiling and go to the back of the room to all my cabs and then i have three that just coil up and hang off my monitor stands for whenever i want to set up to do vocals or record some acoustic stuff. #2 on the front is a DI that when i need to i can swap between a DI box for my guitars or on the Direct out on my bass amp. I don't know why i always keep a DI safety take of everything but i do. I never use it. But it's there. and #1 pretty much never get's used because no one ever comes and jams with me.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:39 pm Slick set up man. that is quite the rig. I forgot you were doing the dedicated drum room thing. That should be slick as heck. Very curious to get the full Beringer review. I have heard some rumblings that they are getting better with their products which would be kind of cool i guess because i'd be curious to try some of their monitors out.

The front back thing was sort of a mind melter for me. I wasn't sure if i liked it or not at first. i wasn't fan and thought it was going to be a huge chore. But i figured i don't really do much and the 18i20 was very much a luxury i didn't really need for what i do. So now settled on just having dedicated cables numbered and organized for whatever i might need to be doing. I have two that go up into my ceiling and go to the back of the room to all my cabs and then i have three that just coil up and hang off my monitor stands for whenever i want to set up to do vocals or record some acoustic stuff. #2 on the front is a DI that when i need to i can swap between a DI box for my guitars or on the Direct out on my bass amp. I don't know why i always keep a DI safety take of everything but i do. I never use it. But it's there. and #1 pretty much never get's used because no one ever comes and jams with me.
Haha my Focusrite downstairs setup is pretty much the same. 1 and 2 on the front are empty for just whatever. 3-8 are running out the back and out into the room for various things. 3 and 4 are usually connected to cab mics. 5 goes to a DI box for line outs from amps or the attenuator. 6-8 are just dangling off stands or on the floor, usually for vocals.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:22 pm Haha your wife is awesome! Definitely take advantage of that arrangement! :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

I had to buy separate Toslink cables to connect the preamp to the interface. The ADA8200 does not come with the cables you'd need to use it. Kind of dumb. :confused: :cuckoo:
She is definitely awesome :coolstorybro:

I agree, Behringer could spring that extra $1.25 it would cost them to include 1 or 2 TosLink cables along with the ADA. And even the $0.75 it would cost to toss in a BNC cable as well, for those of us that don't want to sync over ADAT.

Anyways, I came back to this thread because I did some shopping today. This thread got me to thinking of how I'm actually going to set up a secondary drum recording setup "satellite" studio. I came up with 3 different ways:

1). Buy a ProCo 16 channel snake with TRS returns, drill a hole in the floor big enough to fit that monstrous cable through, and drive my studio computer with Remote Desktop or Reaper's web remote from my laptop. Total cost: $350.

2). Buy an 1820 and another ADA8200, record to my laptop and transfer the files back to my studio computer. Total cost: $500.

3). Go full-on audio techie geek and set up a Dante network to connect my satellite drum setup with my main studio. This would mean replacing my current audio interface with a Dante-enabled one, plus another Dante-enabled interface upstairs. And probably one or more multi-channel preamps like the ADA. Total cost: almost TEN THOUSAND FUCKING DOLLARS.

So, given the alternatives that I can come up with, it's looking like an 1820 + ADA at this point. I can't believe how expensive that audio-over-network stuff is. The company that owns the Dante protocol must be charging an arm and a leg to license that technology. Seriously, Google "Focusrite Rednet" and look at those prices. It's downright absurd. And it would be perfect for my situation, if it wouldn't require a 2nd mortgage on my house. It's a fascinating technology, and it makes my tech-nerd eyes light up when I read about it. If only it was priced for mere mortals, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It carries so many channels, I could loop in each and every piece of outboard gear into the Dante network and patch it through software instead of a patchbay. It's so freaking cool.