ordered one of these

Keyboards? Kazoos? Dulcimers? Alphorns? Aeolian harp? Here's the place to chat about your favourite instrument
Lt. Bob

ordered one of these

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: ordered one of these

Post by WhiskeyJack »

This will make a fine addition to your Chocolate Salty Balls cover.

I don't think i have ever laid eyes on such a thing lt. Thats wild.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

and you can hook it to a puter and play any VSTs with it.

It's gonna be cool!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool. Are you doing a cover of War Of The Worlds?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

lol .... who knows? ...... it's basically putting a keyboard into a saxophone fingering.

I can play keyboard at a mediocre level but I play sax at a very high level so this'll allow me to do a lot of things I can't pull off with a keyboard plus it's small enough it'll allow me to do those things live.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

LOL what the actual fuck
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:37 pm LOL what the actual fuck

I know! .. right?

:smiles:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I stumbled across a vid of it and went, "Oh my" .... wifey saw it and said I had to get one so I am.
And really my Sweetwater guy did me right on it
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Its so fucking weird it'll probably go over pretty well live.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

It's just a different fingering keyboard but yes, visually it'll be cool.
But it's really not weird ..... it's a keyboard .... has an 8 octave range too.
I used to have a Lyricon ( look that up ) and it was way cool ...... I got used to it almost immediately.
But it was very limited ..... controlled an analog synth and couldn't do much.But I still did some cool recordings with it.
This is gonna be cool!

I'm moving towards something and have been for about a year.
I feel energized and interested in my music more than I have in a few years and I think I have something unique coming although I still don't quite know what it is.

But a year from now I think I can have something original that I can sell the 'art' type places that only hire original and/or avante garde type jazz and such.

Told the wife I'm getting ready to disappear into my studio for maybe the next 6 months.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

That looks really interesting. 👍
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I'll see your wackadoodle saxamaphone and raise you several otamatones.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UgCjBI ... RealSullyG[/BBvideo]
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

that sounds like a perfect controller for a saxophonist, [mention]Lt. Bob[/mention] . Do you actually blow into it to activate the controller? Or is it just the fingering? It looked like the guy was blowing into it, but I couldn't quite tell.

[mention]Armistice[/mention] LOL that was...something :D I can just imagine someone doing a gig and pulling out one of those things. The entire audience would just be like WTF is happening here?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:27 am that sounds like a perfect controller for a saxophonist, Lt. Bob . Do you actually blow into it to activate the controller? Or is it just the fingering? It looked like the guy was blowing into it, but I couldn't quite tell.

you do blow into it and it senses the amount of pressure so you can control the volume like that.
It also has a reed with a pressure sensor so you can vibrato or bend notes like you do on a sax.
rayc

Post by rayc »

These a chap on the BIAB forum that often posts stuff that he's recorded using his wind controller. It's usually realistic sample stuff and sounds fine.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:03 pm It's just a different fingering keyboard but yes, visually it'll be cool.
But it's really not weird ..... it's a keyboard .... has an 8 octave range too.
I used to have a Lyricon ( look that up ) and it was way cool ...... I got used to it almost immediately.
But it was very limited ..... controlled an analog synth and couldn't do much.But I still did some cool recordings with it.
This is gonna be cool!

I'm moving towards something and have been for about a year.
I feel energized and interested in my music more than I have in a few years and I think I have something unique coming although I still don't quite know what it is.

But a year from now I think I can have something original that I can sell the 'art' type places that only hire original and/or avante garde type jazz and such.

Told the wife I'm getting ready to disappear into my studio for maybe the next 6 months.
Thats good. It wasn't so long ago you said that you were losing interest in music and it was feeling like a McJob
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:57 am you do blow into it and it senses the amount of pressure so you can control the volume like that.
It also has a reed with a pressure sensor so you can vibrato or bend notes like you do on a sax.
I figured you'd get a kick out of this. My wife, in addition to the banjo, surprised me with the entry-level Aerophone AE-01. It has a simplified key layout, mouthpiece without the reed, and a handful of built-in sounds.

When I first played with it, I was listening through the built-in speaker and using internal sounds. I wasn't all that impressed with the sounds, but they're OK. Then I plugged it into my DAW via the headphone out, slapped a good room reverb on it, and it was much better. And when I paired it with my phone via bluetooth and browsed the 50 additional sounds, I thought it was even better, but still flawed.

But it wasn't until late last night that I figured out how to set it up as a MIDI controller via the USB output and I found some free sax samples to play around with. Now I love this thing.