Cheapo solid state or modelling amp.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Cheapo solid state or modelling amp.

Post by JD01 »

Mate of mine who i was at uni with is finally regretting not having me teach him to play 20 years ago.

Entry level guitars are better than ever so he'll probably get a squire bullet or Harley Benton.

What solid state amps, preferably not a modeller are available.
Nothing mental, 10W or so would be plenty it would be nice to at least have a 10in if not a 12in speaker.
Greg_L

Re: Cheapo solid state or modelling amp.

Post by Greg_L »

Orange Crush
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tiny little speaker isn't it? Was hoping fender do a single channel solid state 1x12 which would be cheap 2nd hand.

Can't find one though.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:23 pm Tiny little speaker isn't it? Was hoping fender do a single channel solid state 1x12 which would be cheap 2nd hand.

Can't find one though.
They have 10" and 12" Orange Crush combos. It's the only non-modeling SS amp that I've heard lately that sounds pretty good.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I was hoping to find a peavey or something. But the market is pretty thin really. At the moment amps seem to be either tube or digital.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

why wouldn't you want a modeler?

For a beginner there's so many extras that make it mo' fun, like FXs and various amp sounds.

Something like this: I have a friend with a larger one and it's shockingly good sounding.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -combo-amp

Or this .... the little Vox's do modeling well

One of the keys to having a beginner keep playing long enough to learn is to make it fun.
He's flat out gonna get better sounds with even the presets than he will outta some no-frills practice amp
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:05 pm why wouldn't you want a modeler?

For a beginner there's so many extras that make it mo' fun, like FXs and various amp sounds.

Something like this: I have a friend with a larger one and it's shockingly good sounding.

Or this .... the little Vox's do modeling well

One of the keys to having a beginner keep playing long enough to learn is to make it fun.
He's flat out gonna get better sounds with even the presets than he will outta some no-frills practice amp
I agree. My brother-in-law's son wanted to play guitar. I gave him an old Epi SG and had them get a little Marshall Code modeling amp with all the FX bells and whistles and presets. He plays every day.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:08 pm
I agree. My brother-in-law's son wanted to play guitar. I gave him an old Epi SG and had them get a little Marshall Code modeling amp with all the FX bells and whistles and presets. He plays every day.
ooooh, those Codes are supposed to be nice. I almost got one just to putter around with.

I'm a big believer that for beginners the absolute job 1 is to make it fun
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool. I'll see what they're going for on ebay.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Yea i think for a beginner having a little more to play with might be a better option. A few onboard effects and bells whistles would be cool and keep it fresh when they are on their own. Newbies tend less to be puritanical tone cork sniffers like we are amd are in learning / exploration mode i would think.

Id say a crush combo for sure some of the small fender practice amps have alot of bells and whistles for the price you pay for them. I cant recall the one i am thinking of? Maybe the Mustang line? I aquored one when i got my Sparrow because the giy wanted it gone. For me i jad fun with it for 10 minutes bit could totally see how it wooild great for a newbie. Had no trouble selling it. Gone in under 2 days.

Never heard of that marshall code before but it looks like a newbies wet dream.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

And it would have the cachet of being a Marshall

For beginners every single thing you can do to make it more fun is key and that includes having a name badge they think is cool.
Basically you want them to want to pick up that guitar just because they're having fun.

I haven't used a Code but I have read positive reviews on them
I have heard a Vox and a Mustang and they both sounded good.

And really, I'm sure there's a dozen others right at that same level.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Just having "Marshall" on it was a big deal to my bro-in-laws kid.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:08 pm Just having "Marshall" on it was a big deal to my bro-in-laws kid.
:like: