Recording Challenge #8 - It’s the Digital Era

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
CrowsofFritz

Re: Recording Challenge #8 - It’s the Digital Era

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:26 am I have a drumb machine of course ...... a Boss DR550
But I mostly use my keyboard as a drumb machine.

So a question:
Does the keyboard count? ..... it's a sequencer.

Or is the point to use those cheesy pre programmed drum beats?
Yeah, a keyboard counts. It’ll be hard to get it like the good fake drums with a keyboard, so that’s still a challenge in my eyes.
Greg_L wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:00 am I like this idea, I guess I just don't actually know what a drum machine is. They're all fake drums to me. If it's not a real drummer playing real drums, then it's fake drums.

So do you mean this has to be done with one of those things where you have to tap on pads with your fingers to make drum sounds?
Yes, or one of these but the digital version of that is okay, too.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... lsrc=aw.ds

None of that software with “smart” drummers that sound really damn good.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I have a keyboard out in the garage. I think it can MIDI trigger drum sounds. Would that work?
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:50 am I have a keyboard out in the garage. I think it can MIDI trigger drum sounds. Would that work?
Yes.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Here’s a rough track with a drum machine [mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention]

As you can hear, my use of the drum machine as a click “bleeds“ in to the recordings. It’s not supposed to start until you hear the toms and the louder drums. All will be fixed with the new interface.

Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:36 am

Yeah, a keyboard counts. It’ll be hard to get it like the good fake drums with a keyboard, so that’s still a challenge in my eyes.

actually my keyboard does drums as well as any of these VST's ya'll use.
I'm gonna wait and see what others are doing but I may try to use the drum machine .... way more challenging than the keyboard to get something good.

Although more challenging means more effort and I'm pretty lazy!
:lollers2:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:56 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:36 am

actually my keyboard does drums as well as any of these VST's ya'll use.
I'm gonna wait and see what others are doing but I may try to use the drum machine .... way more challenging than the keyboard to get something good.

Although more challenging means more effort and I'm pretty lazy!
:lollers2:
Damn really? Because I heard Armistice’s songs when I was at the computer and those drums sounded pretty good. But yeah, a 16 step sequencer can give you a fun 90s sound.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:00 pm

Damn really? Because I heard Armistice’s songs when I was at the computer and those drums sounded pretty good. But yeah, a 16 step sequencer can give you a fun 90s sound.
almost everything I've ever recorded the last 20 years was with keyboard drums and mostly no one has ever commented on the drums at all which i consider a win because if they were bad someone would have said "you need some real drums" ...... and I have had a few comments that the drums sound good.

Since I think the point of a challenge is to be challenging, I'm a try the drum machine because the keyboard is my normal process.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

I’m too inept to do anything manually, especially a real drum set. My lower and upper limbs don’t move independently from another enough.

:lollers:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Last night I dusted off my Bleep Labs drum thingy. It was a DIY kit my stepson got me for xmas several years ago, and it's a lot of fun. It doesn't sequence, but I have to tap the 4 pads to make sounds with it. I'm already half way through a quickie project with it. Maybe tonight or tomorrow I can post the results.

This has been a fun way to shake off my rust and make music.

And [mention]CrowsofFritz[/mention] I hope the interface works out great for ya! I submitted the license transfer yesterday so hopefully the software will be all ready for download by the time you've got the interface in hand.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:42 pm Last night I dusted off my Bleep Labs drum thingy. It was a DIY kit my stepson got me for xmas several years ago, and it's a lot of fun. It doesn't sequence, but I have to tap the 4 pads to make sounds with it. I'm already half way through a quickie project with it. Maybe tonight or tomorrow I can post the results.

This has been a fun way to shake off my rust and make music.

And @CrowsofFritz I hope the interface works out great for ya! I submitted the license transfer yesterday so hopefully the software will be all ready for download by the time you've got the interface in hand.
Nice! And yeah, this is pushing me out of my comfort zone. I don’t normally do songs with drums of any kind in them.
rayc

Post by rayc »

This is, probably, my most obviously drum machine based song...from about 86 or 87 and then remixed in around 2008...
Roland TR505 - best known as a door stop...it came after the super famous TR707 as an attempt to cash in one that machine's popularity and versatility. The 505 had fewer tweakables, fewer bits and was very unpopular nevertheless it serves me well for a couple of decades.
Revolution Blues
04. Revolution Blues.mp3
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/4uDc8emGzCM[/BBvideo]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rayc on Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:43 pm This is, probably, my most obviously drum machine based song...from about 86 or 87 and then remixed in around 2008...
Roland TR505 - best known as a door stop...it came after the super famous TR707 as an attempt to cash in one that machine's popularity and versatility. The 505 had fewer tweakables, fewer bits and was very unpopular nevertheless it serves me well for a couple of decades.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uDc8em ... aycochrane[/BBvideo]
The video is unavailable for me :(
rayc

Post by rayc »

Yeah, I don't know why. It's on Utub and I played it thrice - oh well, I've swapped it for the MP3 above.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:49 pm Yeah, I don't know why. It's on Utub and I played it thrice - oh well, I've swapped it for the MP3 above.
Dude, nice! How did you record that? It sounds like it could have been recorded today.
rayc

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:02 pm Dude, nice! How did you record that? It sounds like it could have been recorded today.
All but the cymbals were recorded to four track cassette in the 80s.
DI bass n guitar vocals & sax on a cheap dynamic mic straight into the four track...though we tracked the sax in the shower for the refections.
I bass, I guitar, 1 drum plus a combined sax n vocal track were recorded into Cakewalk ProAudio 9.3 using the aux in of an old PIII PC running a quarter gig of ram and less than a gig of HDD, the cello and the cymbals, from the drum machine, were overdubbed.
Badly mixed in there and mastered in Germany.
Sounds a bit dark...I may have a clearer version but the point - DRUM MACHINE.
Search Youtube for
Revolution Blues - Pygmy Beat
for a brighter version.
Last edited by rayc on Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:17 pm Here’s a rough track with a drum machine @WhiskeyJack

As you can hear, my use of the drum machine as a click “bleeds“ in to the recordings. It’s not supposed to start until you hear the toms and the louder drums. All will be fixed with the new interface.

That's just a good song, man. It's got all of the influences I like, all melted together. Once the end is trimmed to length, it'll be great. The drums actually sound fine, if not just robotic like a drum machine looping. I like how the first verse turns upside down against the drum loop, but then comes back strong. Nice work.
rayc wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:43 pm This is, probably, my most obviously drum machine based song...from about 86 or 87 and then remixed in around 2008...
Revolution Blues
04. Revolution Blues.mp3
That's really good, Ray. That sax solo! Heck, these drums sound better than anything I was trying to use in 2008. I think that by then I was trying to use a dubious version of Battery, or maybe a sound font from SoundBlaster/EMU that came with my old MIDI controller. I don't think that I discovered decent drum sounds until I bought EZ Drummer around 2012-ish.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Well, here's my attempt. I started the project last night after seeing the challenge, and "finished" it today at halftime of the Chiefs game. It's a quickie!

The drums are the Bleep Drum kit from Bleep Labs. It's just a little guitar pedal sized DIY kit with 4 pads, a couple of knobs, and a couple of different modes. Since there's no sequencer on board, the 3 or 4 tracks of it are "performances" of varying lengths, looped or copied/pasted (and reversed for one section).

Bass is through a DIY clone of an Ampeg Scrambler. Vocals are through an SM57, driven hard into a 1073 for distortion.

I think that's it...just drums, bass, and vocals on this one.
20201121 Drum Machine-003.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:39 am Well, here's my attempt...
That's great! :)
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

You guys are maniacs. HAHA. This is awesome.
:happytrees:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:39 am Well, here's my attempt. I started the project last night after seeing the challenge, and "finished" it today at halftime of the Chiefs game. It's a quickie!

The drums are the Bleep Drum kit from Bleep Labs. It's just a little guitar pedal sized DIY kit with 4 pads, a couple of knobs, and a couple of different modes. Since there's no sequencer on board, the 3 or 4 tracks of it are "performances" of varying lengths, looped or copied/pasted (and reversed for one section).

Bass is through a DIY clone of an Ampeg Scrambler. Vocals are through an SM57, driven hard into a 1073 for distortion.

I think that's it...just drums, bass, and vocals on this one.

20201121 Drum Machine-003.mp3
Duuuuuude, nice! You churned that out pretty quick. I like those vocals.

Thanks for giving a listen to my idea. I’m really excited to do the real thing!