Recording Challenge #8 - It’s the Digital Era

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
rayc

Re: Recording Challenge #8 - It’s the Digital Era

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:17 pm Here’s a rough track with a drum machine @WhiskeyJack

As you can hear, my use of the drum machine as a click “bleeds“ in to the recordings. It’s not supposed to start until you hear the toms and the louder drums. All will be fixed with the new interface.

GOOD song. The phantom drum machine at the beginning works well.
LYRICS please.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:39 am Well, here's my attempt. I started the project last night after seeing the challenge, and "finished" it today at halftime of the Chiefs game. It's a quickie!
The drums are the Bleep Drum kit from Bleep Labs. It's just a little guitar pedal sized DIY kit with 4 pads, a couple of knobs, and a couple of different modes. Since there's no sequencer on board, the 3 or 4 tracks of it are "performances" of varying lengths, looped or copied/pasted (and reversed for one section).
Bass is through a DIY clone of an Ampeg Scrambler. Vocals are through an SM57, driven hard into a 1073 for distortion.
I think that's it...just drums, bass, and vocals on this one.
20201121 Drum Machine-003.mp3
THAT IS AAACCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Well done Tad.
On top of the crush classic music the melody is cool and the singing too.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

This
Last edited by rayc on Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

T
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Th
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

This is a track using the same drum machine but I'd learnt to program sequences from the built in patters..the drums are subdued and don't come in until about half way through.
ALL recorded into the same computer as above, sometime around 2008, but with an INCA interface, (excellent interface 8 in 8 out multi channel - ribbon cable and internal card - the works.
More than a few tuning issues but across bass, el guitar, mandolin, dobro, banjo, acoustic 2 string and my bad ear - it was bound to happen.
Terry singing again & Ido1957 did the lead solo.
After I'd learnt to program sequences I think my song sounded a fair bit better so often RAMI & Greg offered to play real drums...so there's only this one remaining with programming...
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/d3iRZOC7WUQ[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:28 am
CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:17 pm Here’s a rough track with a drum machine @WhiskeyJack

As you can hear, my use of the drum machine as a click “bleeds“ in to the recordings. It’s not supposed to start until you hear the toms and the louder drums. All will be fixed with the new interface.

GOOD song. The phantom drum machine at the beginning works well.
LYRICS please.
I’ll provide lyrics when I finish it! Hopefully by tomorrow! Thanks!
rayc wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:53 am This is a track using the same drum machine but I'd learnt to program sequences from the built in patters..the drums are subdued and don't come in until about half way through.
ALL recorded into the same computer as above, sometime around 2008, but with an INCA interface, (excellent interface 8 in 8 out multi channel - ribbon cable and internal card - the works.
More than a few tuning issues but across bass, el guitar, mandolin, dobro, banjo, acoustic 2 string and my bad ear - it was bound to happen.
Terry singing again & Ido1957 did the lead solo.
After I'd learnt to program sequences I think my song sounded a fair bit better so often RAMI & Greg offered to play real drums...so there's only this one remaining with programming...
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/d3iRZOC7WUQ[/BBvideo]
Nice! I liked that solo.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Good song, Tad. That's some nice, dirty bass.

I haven't touched a real drum machine since high school, but my entire first album was done with some kind of digistation or somesuch
An Assessment of Skill - remix.mp3
The song I'm working on now has pretty basic drums. Maybe I'll do a remix with Drumatic. (Side note: if anyone needs a software drum machine, that's a good choice)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:46 pm Good song, Tad. That's some nice, dirty bass.

I haven't touched a real drum machine since high school, but my entire first album was done with some kind of digistation or somesuch
An Assessment of Skill - remix.mp3

The song I'm working on now has pretty basic drums. Maybe I'll do a remix with Drumatic. (Side note: if anyone needs a software drum machine, that's a good choice)
Cool deal! I like the 4th wall you’re breaking in that song lol. I’ll look up drumatic. The drum machine in Reason is so good, and I think it can be used as a plugin in other DAWs, too.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Also i guess in all my excitement of seeing a Challenge thread blossom so quickly i didn't even comment. I did find a my korg nano pad that's been gathering dust for years and years. And my wife's keyboard has some drums in it so i could take a stab at this. And i love that i can say this now but i actually have a few other projects i am working on right now very close to being done so i will finish those first and come back to this one.

[mention]CrowsofFritz[/mention] Your idea grew quite nicely. Cool to hear your robot friend make an appearance !!! I'd say Your Challenge was a success!

[mention]Tadpui[/mention] your song was pretty remarkable Tad. Not so bad for a mega quickie. That bass though is freaking devastating man. wow. I could sit and listen to that all day. And you got a pretty rad set of pipes on you too dude! give us more of those too homeboy!

[mention]rayc[/mention] Good jams buddy. You got some deep roots with the old drum machines eh! Who is singing in that first track? is that you?

LOLLL!! [mention]vomitHatSteve[/mention] "this song isn't very high quality" I spit coffee when i heard that. It's wonderful to see your format hasn't changed much.
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:26 pm LOLLL!! @vomitHatSteve "this song isn't very high quality" I spit coffee when i heard that. It's wonderful to see your format hasn't changed much.
Lol! Pretty sure that's the second song that I wrote after I decided to get into it
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

[mention]SweetDan[/mention] [mention]CrowsofFritz[/mention] [mention]rayc[/mention] [mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] [mention]vomitHatSteve[/mention] thanks guys, much appreciated! This was a fun project, I really enjoyed making it. Now, let's see if I can actually come up with something on the stoner grunge song from the last challenge in the next day or two...
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I feel like those of us who pulled something from the archives are definitely cheating, and I'll probably try to come up with something else to supplement it!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:20 pm @SweetDan @CrowsofFritz @rayc @WhiskeyJack @vomitHatSteve thanks guys, much appreciated! This was a fun project, I really enjoyed making it. Now, let's see if I can actually come up with something on the stoner grunge song from the last challenge in the next day or two...
That bass would make a really sick addition if it were possible. :like: :like: :like: :happytrees:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

As [mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] said, the bass would be cool, [mention]Tadpui[/mention]

My bass is pretty boring on that track lol.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:59 pm As @WhiskeyJack said, the bass would be cool, @Tadpui

My bass is pretty boring on that track lol.
Nothing in that song is boring. :lollers: :lollers: He can always run yours through whatever wizardry that sim is that he used. there is also bassless space at the end of the song i think too.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Cool idea [mention]CrowsofFritz[/mention]

Funny over the last couple of weeks I started working on just this type of thing. It started out as an idea for kids to play rhythms along with, hence the name Rhythm Town. But I am not sure where it is going now. Anyway, I am gonna try and add some vocals this week, these are the tracks.
Rhythm Town 1027.mp3
For the drums I used this plug in from Audio Thing
Screenshot_2020-11-24 SR-88 - Drum Machine (VST, AU, AAX Plugin) - AudioThing.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

[mention]CrowsofFritz[/mention] I like your tune man. Sounds like your style but with a twist. Like your falsetto.

[mention]Tadpui[/mention] That is really cool. Sparse but full. Great vocals.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

musicturtle wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:37 am
Rhythm Town 1027.mp3

For the drums I used this plug in from Audio Thing

Screenshot_2020-11-24 SR-88 - Drum Machine (VST, AU, AAX Plugin) - AudioThing.png
I liked this!
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

musicturtle wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:40 am @CrowsofFritz I like your tune man. Sounds like your style but with a twist. Like your falsetto.

@Tadpui That is really cool. Sparse but full. Great vocals.
Thanks for giving It a listen! I plan on recording the real thing today.

I like how this challenge fits with something you’ve recently been doing with the kids. The track is cool. I’m excited for the vocals.