gigged the gRamp tonight

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

gigged the gRamp tonight

Post by Lt. Bob »

:smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles:
:smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles:
:smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :k: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles: :smiles:
Lt. Bob

Re: gigged the gRamp tonight

Post by Lt. Bob »

wow ..... what a nice amp ..... it looked awesome and sounded and responded even better.

Serious ..... it's a boutique Deluxe Reverb + and it sounded as good as anything I've had well, maybe ever. And I've had a lot.

My buddy Rueben picked up an every Thursday gig and I'm gonna go play with him at that one specifically so I can use the gRamp. I don't get paid but Reuben and I play well together and it's fun and I can use my beautiful purple gRamp.
I can't use it on my solo and usually the duo doesn't need it but the Beaver bar is a decent outside stage and even though it's our duo we can usually turn up there.
Unfortunately tonight it rained which forced us to the porch and put the gRamp up against a wall immediately behind me .... not ideal.
Even so the amp just sang ..... I ran the master halfway up and the channel volume around 10 'o' clock and the neg feedback on.
I meant to try it off but the amp sounded so good I forgot ...... I'll try that next week.

And did I mention it's purple?

I literally had a big smile on my face the entire night and was bummed to find out his gig is only 3 hours ...... I wanted that 4th hour!

Seriously, some folks call a Deluxe the best amp ever made and this one is a step up from that.
The master really is transparent and the amp just sings ..... responds to your every nuance .... delicate little flourishes come thru so detailed.

kudos to you Greg my friend ...... you've built something wonderful ....... it made me feel joyful to play thru it ....... I'm a lucky man.

In the next couple of weeks I'll get a good recording of it doing the duo gig.

Last edited by Lt. Bob on Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I had to put together a pedal board and decided to put a new one together.

Guitar > Strobostomp HD > Xotic EP Booster > Xotic SP Compressor > Catlinbread RAH > Xotic SL Drive > Danelectro Back Talk > E.H. Oceans 11 > E.H. Lester G Deluxe > amp

The gRamp took pedals excellently and they all were good choices ..... the only one I'm not sure of yet is the SL Drive ..... everything else was awesome.
The StroboStomp is major visible and on all the time so I can just glance at it anytime I'm holding a note ... really cool.
and the Lester G Deluxe basically sounded like a Leslie and the acceleration from slow to fast and back was just a wonderful tool to have.
The SP Comp is a great comp and the EP Booster stayed on most of the time.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

And here she is ladies and gentlemen .... on her first day at school!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Nice!

What's with the :k: smiley face in the middle of all the other :smiles: guys?
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

SweetDan wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:57 am Nice!

What's with the :k: smiley face in the middle of all the other :smiles: guys?
just to break the monotony and laughing at me sitting here copying all those smiley's! :lollers2:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Nice bob. You’ve got me wanting a clean fender amp again now
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Hahaha bad ass! I'm thrilled that you're happy with it. Your little rig looks fucking killer. :not worthy: :not worthy:

I'm definitely gonna re-do mine more like I did yours. I'm gonna add a PPIMV and definitely change the signal caps.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

the big thing that stands out to me is the bottom end ...... small Fender amps are always kinda loose and flubby in the bass.

This one is not .... all the way down it is tight and the bottom is really controlled ... you can hit that low E and bang .... not a hint of looseness ..... really nice.
I'm not just saying that ...... it has a difference down there that makes it really stand out .... you notice it immediately.

Also it has a cohesiveness to the sound that makes all your notes come together.
It's hard to describe but my Mesa Blue Angel has been my main gigging amp for 15 years and, though I like it, it's always had a sterile sorta feel to it ...... I was always still trying to get the sound to coalesce into a unified sound .... it's hard to find words for what I'm saying.

But this thing did it immediately ..... sounds better than a Mesa Blue Angel ...... not a bad accomplishment.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:32 am the big thing that stands out to me is the bottom end ...... small Fender amps are always kinda loose and flubby in the bass.

This one is not .... all the way down it is tight and the bottom is really controlled ... you can hit that low E and bang .... not a hint of looseness ..... really nice.
I'm not just saying that ...... it has a difference down there that makes it really stand out .... you notice it immediately.

Also it has a cohesiveness to the sound that makes all your notes come together.
It's hard to describe but my Mesa Blue Angel has been my main gigging amp for 15 years and, though I like it, it's always had a sterile sorta feel to it ...... I was always still trying to get the sound to coalesce into a unified sound .... it's hard to find words for what I'm saying.

But this thing did it immediately ..... sounds better than a Mesa Blue Angel ...... not a bad accomplishment.
I think that's the improved filtering we put in there. Besides just being more robust and protecting the amp from today's higher wall voltage, you get the added benefit of a tighter low end. You still get all the bass you'd want, but it stays in control.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:51 am

I think that's the improved filtering we put in there. Besides just being more robust and protecting the amp from today's higher wall voltage, you get the added benefit of a tighter low end. You still get all the bass you'd want, but it stays in control.
yeah .... there's no lack of bass but it never gets 'boomy' with the bottom being just one big ball of bass with no pitch.
Every note is detailed and pitch-specific and the bottom doesn't break up or rattle or anything.

And the power is perfect ...... even at halfway down on the master and clean as shit, there's a hint of compression that ties everything together and makes playing pretty effortless.

Truly man ..... you know how you'll pick up a guitar or play thru an amp and you immediately just fucking love it and it's perfect?
I know that's happened to you.
Not every Marshall is for example ..... I know you've played one and said 'meh' and then another just made your eyes light up even though they may have been the same model.

That's what this was ..... it was like the first time I played my Stinnett ..... just so good.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:05 am the bottom being just one big ball of bass with no pitch.
That's it! That's the definition of boomy... I've never managed to quite define in my own mind what it means (but you know it when you hear it).
We should start a glossary of terms for defining sound.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:05 am yeah .... there's no lack of bass but it never gets 'boomy' with the bottom being just one big ball of bass with no pitch.
Every note is detailed and pitch-specific and the bottom doesn't break up or rattle or anything.

And the power is perfect ...... even at halfway down on the master and clean as shit, there's a hint of compression that ties everything together and makes playing pretty effortless.

Truly man ..... you know how you'll pick up a guitar or play thru an amp and you immediately just fucking love it and it's perfect?
I know that's happened to you.
Not every Marshall is for example ..... I know you've played one and said 'meh' and then another just made your eyes light up even though they may have been the same model.

That's what this was ..... it was like the first time I played my Stinnett ..... just so good.
That's awesome. I'm so glad you like it. I knew as soon as I pumped one note through that amp that it was gonna be a good one. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Nice!

Did you get any clips?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

actually I did ..... but as a single stereo file 3 hours long on my DR-05 .... so I'll have to take time to go thru it and by then I'll have better clips.

The next few Thursdays I'm gonna hook up my 8 track field recorder so I'll have a separate channel for everything and will be sure to mark each song so I can easily access them.

So in a week or two I'll add some clips to this thread.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

great review. I can't wait to hear it. And yes that description of boomy is actually pretty spot on. A perfect articulation of what i hear when i hear boomy.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I's a wordsmith!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

ya' know , here's one thing that tells you something about how good the amp sounded.

I realized this morning I never even looked at the tone settings...... I actually have no idea where they were set ...... it sounded so good that it never even occurred to me to tweak the tone knobs ...... I'll have to go look and see how they were set because I don't know.
never so much as looked at them.

This pic someone took and texted to me pretty much sums up how I liked it.

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Wow look at the slender Boob!
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:22 pm Wow look at the slender Boob!
yeah .... as of this morning I've lost 51 lbs. Planning on another 20-25 off.

Instead of Louisiana Steve they're gonna have to call me Louisiana Slim!