Lt Boob amp PART 2 - the other boob!

DIY Studio Stuff
Greg_L

Re: Lt Boob amp PART 2 - the other boob!

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:20 am I'll call 'em tomorrow .... if you can find the proper turret it doesn't look like that big a deal but I paid good money for that kit.
So I'll call ...... I can send them a link to the vid and tell them it's at about 2:50.

and it was a pretty good game ..... poor Giants ..... i thought they were gonna do it.
Yeah it did turn out to be a good game. I so badly wanted the Giants to win. :mad3:

Yeah that's true, I shouldn't have to hunt down a turret. Call em and get another board sent. I can still do other stuff around it.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:39 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:27 pm should we fuss at them and make them send a new turret board?
That's not a bad idea. If I can find a suitable turret I can fix it. But failing that...yeah a proper board would be good. If you wanna call them and have them send another that'd be great. If I can't find a suitable turret locally then I'm gonna have to rig-job something. Whatever I do will work, but it probably won't be pretty. :lollers2:
no one's gonna see it ..... and there might be turrets available .... but 750 bucks says I should have the proper board.
I'll let you know what they say.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:27 am no one's gonna see it ..... and there might be turrets available .... but 750 bucks says I should have the proper board.
I'll let you know what they say.
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I suspect that the problem solving/challenges make the process more enjoyable for you Greg.
Work around seems like a logical solution to the problem.
I am, as with Uncle Doug vids, enjoying the process without having a clue.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

well ..... all a turret does is provide a place to connect a few wires of components together.

Having a single one missing isn't a huge deal ...... really, you could just wire the stuff together there with no turret at all and then slap a glob of silicone on it to hold it in place ....... with all the other turrets the circuit is gonna be physically stable and that single point would not be a problem at all.

But as I said, I didn't order the kit with a defective turret board to get a 'blem' price.
I will call them to day and I feel sure they'll correct the issue .... if they won't then it'll be an easy fix for teh gerg and everyone will know to be a bit skeptical of Mojo.
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

good lord ..... I SO hate the fact that you can't delete an accidental double post ....... Trump'll take care of this by having redneck storm troopers descend on R&R.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. Yeah a turret is just a convenient landing spot for components to tie together in an organized fashion. They're not technically necessary, but they do make things better than having wires and exposed leads just hanging out flopping around in a big chassis.

The missing turret would have one resistor leg and one wire joining together in that spot. I actually could just drill a hole in the board and thread a small bolt through it to act as the turret. It's only going to have two components attached to it.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:36 am I suspect that the problem solving/challenges make the process more enjoyable for you Greg.
Work around seems like a logical solution to the problem.
I am, as with Uncle Doug vids, enjoying the process without having a clue.
I think my years of building engines and hot rods makes me really well equipped to solving issues like this and/or coming up with better ways to do things. A racing engine is just a normal engine taken to an extreme. A race car is nothing but making things work. They might look shiny and slick from the outside, but I assure you everything inside is a hodge podge of just making things from scratch and just making things work, and they work well. Do I enjoy solving technical/mechanical problems? Sometimes. I also really like things to just fucking work like they're supposed to. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

OK .... talked to them .... they said they'd send it out today ...... they will either send a proper turret or a complete board.
I told them either would be acceptable.

You gotta admit ...... I'm pretty fucking efficient ...... getting things done in a quick manner.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:17 pm OK .... talked to them .... they said they'd send it out today ...... they will either send a proper turret or a complete board.

You gotta admit ...... I'm pretty fucking efficient ...... getting things done in a quick manner.
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

Did they put up any kind of fight?
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:22 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:17 pm OK .... talked to them .... they said they'd send it out today ...... they will either send a proper turret or a complete board.

:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

Did they put up any kind of fight?
nah ..... but no one ever does because I don't go in with a shitty attitude.
Companies want to take care of you if you just do it in a cheerful manner.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:55 pm
nah ..... but no one ever does because I don't go in with a shitty attitude.
Companies want to take care of you if you just do it in a cheerful manner.
I've found that most music gear related businesses are pretty quick to just handle their shit. They don't question everything. They just take care of it.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

they've shipped the turret board
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:33 pm they've shipped the turret board
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Update!!!!!

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrBHSg1 ... e=youtu.be[/BBvideo]
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

EEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

:punk:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Lookin good! That's awesome that they got a new board out so quickly.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah they were on the ball with it.

Going good so far. Just chipping away at it.

I don't really like the wire they provided with the kit. It's good, there's nothing wrong with it at all, but I sure do prefer that coated cloth pushback Fender-style wire with my other builds.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:33 pm Yeah they were on the ball with it.

Going good so far. Just chipping away at it.

I don't really like the wire they provided with the kit. It's good, there's nothing wrong with it at all, but I sure do prefer that coated cloth pushback Fender-style wire with my other builds.
I actually used the cloth pushback wire for one of my mods to a Hot Rod deVille and had problems with it being prone to have strands or the entire wire break if it got nicked even slightly

But we bought some wire for the deluxe and i seem to remember we had more than we needed for that so perhaps there's some left?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:39 pm
I actually used the cloth pushback wire for one of my mods to a Hot Rod deVille and had problems with it being prone to have strands or the entire wire break if it got nicked even slightly

But we bought some wire for the deluxe and i seem to remember we had more than we needed for that so perhaps there's some left?
The wire you bought was shielded and yes there is some left. I had you get enough for this amp too.

The cloth wire with the Weber kit was a nice coated pushback wire and it is wonderful. Very sturdy, it holds it's shape, and the coating on the cloth keeps it really clean. I have scraps of that stuff but not enough to do this whole amp.

What I really like about the pushback wire is you don't have to strip it. Just cut it, push the cloth back, there's your wire. No little pieces of wire insulation flying around everywhere.
Rebel Yell