Lt Boob amp PART 2 - the other boob!

DIY Studio Stuff
Greg_L

Re: Lt Boob amp PART 2 - the other boob!

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:03 pm I know .... the Ampeg's already built though ........ :wink:
Well that's no fun!
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

well .... you'd prolly end up wanting to recap it
rayc

Post by rayc »

Video as expected...straight forward and clear. Well done.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Well I made some nice progress today and I've found a problem already. Not a huge deal, but it'll take some re-figuring. I'll get it in a video tomorrow.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Looking good already Greg! That really is a nice kit, all organized and everything.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:16 pm Looking good already Greg! That really is a nice kit, all organized and everything.
Yeah thanks. You mentioned thinking about trying one of these. I'm thinking it could be a good one to start with. But let's see how this one goes first. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

That is so cool. Very Cool. Good vid too. It looks like Mojo tone put a little more work into the giving you a "kit" then the weber kit did.

So you mentioned some thing about it having a JCM800 preamp in it. Kind of. How much of and what kind of things could a guy do to that kit there to make it into a something like that 20W JCM800 like miners? 18W or even less? or more? I don't know what i am talking about it but i am sure it is likely possible yes?
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

as far as power goes 18 watts is basically the same as 20 watts .... virtually no difference in terms of volume
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:59 pm as far as power goes 18 watts is basically the same as 20 watts .... virtually no difference in terms of volume
yea no i get that. I was just painting a picture. [mention]JD01[/mention] and i were talking about the 1W JCM the other day and now my gears are spinning. Not that i'd want a 1w. 18 would be more than plenty.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:11 pm That is so cool. Very Cool. Good vid too. It looks like Mojo tone put a little more work into the giving you a "kit" then the weber kit did.

So you mentioned some thing about it having a JCM800 preamp in it. Kind of. How much of and what kind of things could a guy do to that kit there to make it into a something like that 20W JCM800 like miners? 18W or even less? or more? I don't know what i am talking about it but i am sure it is likely possible yes?
Well first off, when I talk about "JCM 800" I'm talking about the 2203/2204. There were other 800s, but in my mind and most others' minds the 2203/2204 are the only ones worth talking about.

It's all in the preamp.

This is the Mojo 18w TMB channel preamp:
18-Watt-TMB-SCH.jpg
This is a 2203 preamp:
Marshall_2203_jmp_preamp.jpg
I know it's probably hard to read that, but trust me, they're very similar. The biasing of the preamp tubes, the cold clipper second stage, the tone stack, besides a few values here and there, they're almost identical. That's the voice of a JCM 800.

With just a few tiny twists the 18W TMB can have an exact 2203 preamp in it. It can be built to exact 2203 specs all the way up to the power tubes. That's where it will get different. 2203/2004s are big bottle amps - EL34s or 6550s. The little EL84s in the Mojo kit won't breathe the same fire that an EL34 can. But still, the voicing will be there because of the preamp is so similar to a real 2203.

You could theoretically turn just about any amp into a 2203. All you need is two available 12AX7s and re-wire it to 2203 specs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:25 pm
With just a few tiny twists the 18W TMB can have an exact 2203 preamp in it. It can be built to exact 2203 specs all the way up to the power tubes.
do I want that instead of what Mojo has drawn up?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:20 am

do I want that instead of what Mojo has drawn up?
Nah I don't think so. One thing the TMB is missing compared to the 2203 is the cathode follower stage. That stage is a buffer before the tone stack. Tone stacks can really bog down a signal, similar to a long cable run or effects. So the cathode follower, while not being a gain stage, does act as a buffer to send the signal through the tone stack. I don't know why the cathode follower stage was omitted from the TMB. I suppose they chose to just go without it instead of adding another tube. But let's hear it first. It may not need or want that stage with the amp being relatively low wattage. We would need to add another preamp tube to make it happen, and we'd only use half that tube, so it's probably not really worth it.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

sounds good to me .....

Man, you're really starting to know this stuff sir!

Mojo actually has an amp just reviewed by the guitar mags called the Blackout that is this design only with 6L6's.
The mags love it so I'm pretty excited as to how this is gonna sound ..... I really like EL84s ...... this is gonna be an awesome amp methinks.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:17 pm sounds good to me .....

Man, you're really starting to know this stuff sir!

Mojo actually has an amp just reviewed by the guitar mags called the Blackout that is this design only with 6L6's.
The mags love it so I'm pretty excited as to how this is gonna sound ..... I really like EL84s ...... this is gonna be an awesome amp methinks.
Awesome. Yeah I totally believe that the Mojo folks have done their homework on this design. Not only that, people have been doing this to these amps for decades. It's tried and true so I'm sure it's great just the way it is.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Progress update!!!!

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOfnaV2 ... e=youtu.be[/BBvideo]
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Woah that's so weird that they'd forget a turret and design the giant cap so it doesn't fit where it's supposed to go! I'd be furious, mainly because I wouldn't know what to do to get around those problems.

And thanks for the reminder, I forgot to put on MNF :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:18 pm Woah that's so weird that they'd forget a turret and design the giant cap so it doesn't fit where it's supposed to go! I'd be furious, mainly because I wouldn't know what to do to get around those problems.

And thanks for the reminder, I forgot to put on MNF :D
Lol it probably won't be a good game.

It's not unusual to have that cap sticking out the side. Original Marshalls were done that way:

But the mounting of this one was just a little bit off, so it touched the PT. It's actually probably fine, but I don't want those things touching.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

should we fuss at them and make them send a new turret board?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:27 pm should we fuss at them and make them send a new turret board?
That's not a bad idea. If I can find a suitable turret I can fix it. But failing that...yeah a proper board would be good. If you wanna call them and have them send another that'd be great. If I can't find a suitable turret locally then I'm gonna have to rig-job something. Whatever I do will work, but it probably won't be pretty. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I'll call 'em tomorrow .... if you can find the proper turret it doesn't look like that big a deal but I paid good money for that kit.
So I'll call ...... I can send them a link to the vid and tell them it's at about 2:50.

and it was a pretty good game ..... poor Giants ..... i thought they were gonna do it.