Lt Boob amp PART 2 - the other boob!

DIY Studio Stuff
JD01

Re: Lt Boob amp PART 2 - the other boob!

Post by JD01 »

Just got around to watching these videos. Great work, Greg!
Its all, just so tidy.

Do you know anything about the circuits for the 1W Marshalls? They seem to have shot up in value now.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:18 am Just got around to watching these videos. Great work, Greg!
Its all, just so tidy.

Do you know anything about the circuits for the 1W Marshalls? They seem to have shot up in value now.
I've never looked inside of one and have never seen an authentic schematic. I've seen hand made schematics, but I don't really trust those.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Another concise & clear vid. Well done.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLet's get ready to updaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate!

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/-yng7pVjBNk[/BBvideo]
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Mallory caps right?
Those are supposed to be good caps
rayc

Post by rayc »

Uncle Doug would LOVE to see one of your amps. He loves tidy, sensible arrangements and this is certainly that. Cool.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:37 pm Mallory caps right?
Those are supposed to be good caps
I think they're re-branded Mallorys. They look like Mallorys, but I'm not sure. They also look like generic paper wound caps, but they do have much better leads than the generics. They're labeled "Mojo Dijon" which I assume is Mojo's cute little way of calling them "mustard" caps as those are the caps found in legendary Plexis.

But yes, Mallorys are very good and these could very well be Mallorys.
rayc wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:21 pm Uncle Doug would LOVE to see one of your amps. He loves tidy, sensible arrangements and this is certainly that. Cool.
Ha maybe. He is a very crafty old pro that's for sure. The stuff he builds from scratch is amazing.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Doh....I put the power/standby switches in upside down. I gotta flip em over and extend the wires. No big deal. :cuckoo: :facepalm:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:19 pm Doh....I put the power/standby switches in upside down. I gotta flip em over and extend the wires. No big deal. :cuckoo: :facepalm:
That's dumb. You may have invented a time machine and now you will never know! Jokes on you i guess. :facepalm2:

Just kidding dude, I can't say enough how cool your build threads are!!! I don't know shit about building amps. But i do know for sure i know a tidy job when i see one. And that shit is tidy. :like: :like:
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:51 pm

That's dumb. You may have invented a time machine and now you will never know! Jokes on you i guess. :facepalm2:

Just kidding dude, I can't say enough how cool your build threads are!!! I don't know shit about building amps. But i do know for sure i know a tidy job when i see one. And that shit is tidy. :like: :like:
:illdrinktothat: :illdrinktothat:

I would just leave it but the panel says "ON" and when you flip it to ON it's really flipping OFF, and that's backwards, and I can't have that. :mad2:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:54 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:51 pm

:illdrinktothat: :illdrinktothat:

I would just leave it but the panel says "ON" and when you flip it to ON it's really flipping OFF, and that's backwards, and I can't have that. :mad2:
Remember this conversation. there will come a day i have extra money and i will get you to build me an amp where everything on the panel is backwards. Everything i do is backwards and i think a bastard backwards amp to compliment the rest of my life will be good.

take a note. :like: :like:
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:57 pm

Remember this conversation. there will come a day i have extra money and i will get you to build me an amp where everything on the panel is backwards. Everything i do is backwards and i think a bastard backwards amp to compliment the rest of my life will be good.

take a note. :like: :like:
Sonofoabitch, I'm in.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

IT'S ANOTHA FUCKIN UPDAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE!

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/cc1v5STRwkI[/BBvideo]
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

COOOL. Yes, again, your were clear, concise and the repetition was only affirmation.
GOOD video.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

lol ..... you slammed thru that ........ easy to see you were excited and wanted to get 'er done ..... so am I!!

The 'normal' channel will prolly sound most like the old tremelo amp did back then.
maybe a good clean channel ...... I have a switcher pedal so I could basically have channel switching if I wanted so we'll see ...... but i imagine the master chnnel would be the one I'd tend to use as I will usually use the master to reign it in some.

beautiful work man ....... teh boob thanks ya'
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:34 am lol ..... you slammed thru that ........ easy to see you were excited ..... so am I!
This amp is much less "involved" than the Fender. There's not nearly as much going on internally. No tremolo, no reverb, just really pretty basic. And I didn't have to re-design or modify a bunch of stuff like we did with Boob #1.

But....I do have to tweak the head cabinet a tiny bit. The chassis doesn't fit the pre-drilled holes and something is slightly out of square somewhere. The chassis won't bump up flush to the front panel of the head cabinet. So...I'm gonna have to bore out the chassis mounting holes a little bit and probably re-drill two holes through the bottom of the head box. It's the only way.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:41 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:34 am lol ..... you slammed thru that ........ easy to see you were excited ..... so am I!
This amp is much less "involved" than the Fender. There's not nearly as much going on internally. No tremolo, no reverb, just really pretty basic. And I didn't have to re-design or modify a bunch of stuff like we did with Boob #1.

But....I do have to tweak the head cabinet a tiny bit. The chassis doesn't fit the pre-drilled holes and something is slightly out of square somewhere. The chassis won't bump up flush to the front panel of the head cabinet. So...I'm gonna have to bore out the chassis mounting holes a little bit and probably re-drill two holes through the bottom of the head box. It's the only way.
well ..... it's a good thing I paid the extra for Mojo to drill it so we wouldn't have to do this kinda thing.
:lollers2:

I don't care .... drill away
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:57 pm well ..... it's a good thing I paid the extra for Mojo to drill it so we wouldn't have to do this kinda thing.
:lollers2:

I don't care .... drill away
Lol. They did drill some holes. It's just two of them are off about a quarter inch. :facepalm:

It is a gorgeous head box. No doubt about that. I'll be as discreet as I can. It'll just be on the bottom anyway.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:48 pm
It is a gorgeous head box. No doubt about that. I'll be as discreet as I can. It'll just be on the bottom anyway.
lol ...... I truly don't care ....... it's just that they charged extra to drill it and you still have to drill it.
next time we'll all know not to pay them for that
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:24 pm lol ...... I truly don't care ....... it's just that they charged extra to drill it and you still have to drill it.
next time we'll all know not to pay them for that
It seems like there's maybe two issues with the fitment of the chassis into the box.
1) The wood of the box is not straight and/or square. I mean - it's wood. Wood does that sometimes. Visually you can't tell at all. It looks fantastic. It's not until you put the chassis in the box that you can see where the fitment is off.

2) I bet they drilled these holes using just the bare chassis without the faceplate on it. Or maybe they used a different chassis. Or maybe it's the chassis itself that isn't square. Any of that is a possibility.

In any case, I got it sorted the best I could and it's all together and looking awesome. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell