Drum Attic

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Greg_L

Re: Drum Attic

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:35 pm
That's at least stage 5 at the moment... we call it an ASBO in the UK.
ASBO? Does that mean your ASS will be Bent Over when grandma next door complains to parliament?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:42 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:35 pm
That's at least stage 5 at the moment... we call it an ASBO in the UK.
ASBO? Does that mean your ASS will be Bent Over when grandma next door complains to parliament?
haha, anti-social behaviour order.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:43 pm
Wow really? So being obnoxiously loud is considered anti-social behavior?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:46 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:43 pm
Wow really? So being obnoxiously loud is considered anti-social behavior?
Yeah - if you just carried on with it and ignored complaints and warnings you'd probably end up with an ASBO. Its a fucking miracle that Bubba's son hasn't got one playing drums in a terraced house... they must have very understanding neighbours... or maybe their just deaf.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:48 pm
Yeah - if you just carried on with it and ignored complaints and warnings you'd probably end up with an ASBO. Its a fucking miracle that Bubba's son hasn't got one playing drums in a terraced house... they must have very understanding neighbours... or maybe their just deaf.
Interesting. With one of my bands we practice in a garage on friday nights if there is no gig that night. It's a corner lot house in a packed neighborhood and we're loud as fuck. This has been going on for about 14 years. The cops have come by a few times with decibel meters and from the street we're under whatever the limit must be because we've never been told to stop. My wife's aunt lives in that same neighborhood several blocks away and she says she can hear us from her backyard. But with the exception of maybe four cop visits in 14 years, it's all been okay.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:03 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:48 pm
Interesting. With one of my bands we practice in a garage on friday nights if there is no gig that night. It's a corner lot house in a packed neighborhood and we're loud as fuck. This has been going on for about 14 years. The cops have come by a few times with decibel meters and from the street we're under whatever the limit must be because we've never been told to stop. My wife's aunt lives in that same neighborhood several blocks away and she says she can hear us from her backyard. But with the exception of maybe four cop visits in 14 years, it's all been okay.
When I was younger we used to play in my grandma's garage. She loved having us there 'cos she was on her own, she'd bring out glasses of sherry and pies for us.
The police came over and stopped us loads of times, we just had to stop playing there in the end.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:23 pm
When I was younger we used to play in my grandma's garage. She loved having us there 'cos she was on her own, she'd bring out glasses of sherry and pies for us.
The police came over and stopped us loads of times, we just had to stop playing there in the end.
Fucking cops. :mad2:

When I was still living with mom and dad, I had my GTO and it was really really loud. Our house was at the end of the street near a cul-de-sac. When I came home late at night the car would rumble the whole street and annoy everyone. So I had to modify how I came home at night. As soon as I'd turn onto my street, I'd blip the throttle to jump up some speed and then immediately kill the engine and just coast down the street and fly into my mom's driveway just off of momentum. :lollers2:

I wasn't a bad kid, like a criminal or anything, but I was a bit of a hoodlum.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

in college we would get complaints when we practiced but this was long ago ...... before decibel meters.
So if you got a complaint you were done regardless of how loud or not you were.

We figured it was one particular older lady ( lol .... maybe younger than my current age!) and she'd open the windows and lean out and if she could just hear anything she'd call the cops.
Back then you just had to stop because you were punk kids and were automatically wrong if an older person said so.

I know we couldn't have been loud because we'd covered all 4 walls and the ceiling with 4" fiberglass insulation with the insulation pointing towards the room. That room was so dead if you slept in it you could hear the blood gushing thru your veins ..... it was very weird.

Anyway I have often derived satisfaction from knowing that old bitch has to be dead as shit by now.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

The laws in Nashville are technically that if anyone can hear you from the street, you're too loud.

You can get a permit tho. I suspect this may be a scam to sell more permits.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

As far as I know, it can be annoying as fuck for the neighbours but it's not actually illegal for a band to rehearse here. A smart band probably wouldn't want to annoy their neighbours too much. So long as it's not super loud.

As I said the other day, there's a covers band rehearsing maybe 40m as the crow flies from me on Tuesday nights and I can clearly hear them inside my apartment. Nothing, legally, I can do about that - not that I would anyway. It's the shit music they play that's most annoying. Especially ABBA.

And my neighbour above me drives a BMW M3 - I can be in the shower and hear when she starts that up, and I'm on the 3rd floor. Can't imagine the 1st floor peeps are too happy with her. Plus it's in a tight parking spot so there's a bit of work to get it in and out - at least I know when she's coming and going and can expect some relative peace from above.

2 more reasons I'm going to sell up and move.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Yup - no issues with band rehearsals so long as they cease by pm weeknights.
Noise.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Armistice wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:42 pm As far as I know, it can be annoying as fuck for the neighbours but it's not actually illegal for a band to rehearse here. A smart band probably wouldn't want to annoy their neighbours too much. So long as it's not super loud.

As I said the other day, there's a covers band rehearsing maybe 40m as the crow flies from me on Tuesday nights and I can clearly hear them inside my apartment. Nothing, legally, I can do about that - not that I would anyway. It's the shit music they play that's most annoying. Especially ABBA.

And my neighbour above me drives a BMW M3 - I can be in the shower and hear when she starts that up, and I'm on the 3rd floor. Can't imagine the 1st floor peeps are too happy with her. Plus it's in a tight parking spot so there's a bit of work to get it in and out - at least I know when she's coming and going and can expect some relative peace from above.

I'd hate that.

Ya' know, I've never lived in an apartment ever? Not even for a week ...... always rented houses ....... sometimes in the ghetto but always a house.
I can't stand the idea of having someone on the other side of the wall ...... if I wanna listen to music at 3 am I want to.
I'm up all night always ......the very earliest I go to bed is 2am ....... 3am is common and even later (earlier?).

Wifey sleeps thru anything so I may track sax at 2 in the morning or see if my new monitor setup really pumps bass like I think it does.

No noise rules for me .... :smiles:

That doesn't allow for band rehearsals of course but I wouldn't want a band of musicians in my house anyways!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:08 pm
Armistice wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:42 pm As far as I know, it can be annoying as fuck for the neighbours but it's not actually illegal for a band to rehearse here. A smart band probably wouldn't want to annoy their neighbours too much. So long as it's not super loud.

I'd hate that.

Ya' know, I've never lived in an apartment ever? Not even for a week ...... always rented houses ....... sometimes in the ghetto but always a house.
I can't stand the idea of having someone on the other side of the wall ...... if I wanna listen to music at 3 am I want to.
I'm up all night always ......the very earliest I go to bed is 2am ....... 3am is common and even later (earlier?).

Wifey sleeps thru anything so I may track sax at 2 in the morning or see if my new monitor setup really pumps bass like I think it does.

No noise rules for me .... :smiles:

That doesn't allow for band rehearsals of course but I wouldn't want a band of musicians in my house anyways!
Yeah, I'm pretty much over it. I've lived in 3 places in Sydney - first an apartment, then a "villa" *(aka small 3 br detached house part of a larger complex of 5) and this place. And this place was great for a long time - and my band rehearsed in the lounge - yes there were only two of us and it was acoustic guitars but we used a PA (softly). Neighbour through the wall loved it because she knew people were around.

Going back to an apartment was the trade off for moving closer to where I work and spending less time on the public transport network - and it really was great for a long time, quiet as. Things started going south when my upstairs neighbour put down a wooden floor, so it's been an exercise in managing her for a few years now - and now there's a young baby on the floor and a construction site next door and trees providing privacy have been removed because of the construction site. But as an apartment, it is still pretty special, being part of a factory conversion. It should sell well.

Time to go. Going to sell up, move north and buy a house near the beach somewhere with GF. We've both had enough of work and life in a big city. That's the 2021 plan!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I'm not a fan of apartment living either. Sharing walls, ceilings, floors with other people really irritates me. And I'm sure that I really irritate others as well! I'm "the loud neighbor". Guitars, amplifiers, drums, dogs, subwoofers, movies, music, yelling at football games...I'd be a nightmare to share a wall with :)

The house I'm currently in has the potential to be awful for recording, on paper. We back up to a major east/west artery of this part of town. 6 lane divided street with a 45 MPH speed limit, and a stoplight about 100 feet away (18-wheelers getting going from a dead stop are friggin loud!). At rush hour in the morning and evening, it's annoying. Rush hour in the Denver metro is more like rush 2.5 hours. Plus we're a major artery for emergency traffic because we're about 1/2 mile from a 3-way intersection of our major street, a major north/south artery, and an auxiliary interstate highway. So there are constantly fire trucks, ambulances, and police ripping by with their sirens blaring. And my studio room is on that side of the house that faces this monster of a street.

But surprisingly, it's actually not too bad. My studio is in the basement, so half of the height of the walls are concrete foundation, the rest is brick exterior, and only the worst of the traffic noises drift down here.

Different story on the back porch though. It's so noisy that I just can't hang out there, which is a pity. A back yard is supposed to be a person's sanctuary where you can hang out in peace and quiet. But holy crap, you can't even have a phone conversation or a live conversation back there. It's so freaking noisy.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I was originally intending to move to an acre block - and was looking forward to being able to make some noise - but we're now both of the opinion that it'd be a bit isolating in a completely new area, so we're planning on going suburbia instead- perhaps acreage in the future, depending upon how living in a major tourist area near a beach works out...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

My floor boards have arrived. I'm in for a busy afternoon.
20201031_125110.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Just the sight of that makes my knees hurt.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Limited sympathy... but I'll take it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:12 am Limited sympathy... but I'll take it.
I wore my skateboarding knee pads to lay flooring. It was a life saver. It didn't help my back though or the annoyance of constantly getting up and down.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

The worst bit will be the first few hours, where I'll be crawling right under the sloping part of the roof and I'll be laying on beams not floor.