Drum Attic

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Armistice

Re: Drum Attic

Post by Armistice »

Just glad I don't live next to either of you... :lollers:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:08 pm [BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Kxoa5 ... ephenClark[/BBvideo]
I remember about ten years ago, drum floors on tennis balls was a thing. I didn't think anyone actually did it.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Huh... that dude also has a video called "do earplugs hurt more than they help" That... seems dubious
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:19 pm Huh... that dude also has a video called "do earplugs hurt more than they help" That... seems dubious
I've been drumming for a loooong time. The only reason I can still hear at all is because of earplugs.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:33 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:19 pm Huh... that dude also has a video called "do earplugs hurt more than they help" That... seems dubious
I've been drumming for a loooong time. The only reason I can still hear at all is because of earplugs.
The last two bands i was in i started using earplugs for all practices. I left them out for shows though. We didn't gig much. A show or two every 6 months. :dislike:
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:08 pm [BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Kxoa5 ... ephenClark[/BBvideo]
Ha, you beat me to it! I was about to dig up that same video with the tennis ball suspended drum riser. I think that'd be worth a try!

I always go back to the 3 factors of sound proofing when I think about situations like these:

- mass - it takes more energy to get a massive object moving, so a massive wall/floor/ceiling/whatever will transmit less sound through it

- airtight - this is more for high frequencies, but if you add up all of the little air gaps around your whole room, it'd add up to a pretty good-sized hole in the wall

- flanking paths - give vibrations somewhere to go to be absorbed, rather than allowing them to reach the structure where they'll transmit and shake everything

Sound proofing is tough. But since you've got a room that can/will be taken down to the studs/joists, you've got some good opportunity to make decisions along the way that'll help cut down sound transmission considerably. I only have experience with that one studio room I had built several years ago, and it was "good but not great" for reducing sound transmission through the house. It was pretty much the room-within-a-room approach, but the low ceilings prevented me from going all the way with that. Still, just decoupling anything you can from those shared floor joists would go a long way towards keeping the peace with your neighbor. I don't know if there's a practical way to do that though.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:07 pm

The last two bands i was in i started using earplugs for all practices. I left them out for shows though. We didn't gig much. A show or two every 6 months. :dislike:
On the drums, I always gig with ear plugs. Always. It sounds better to me too. The ear plugs cut out all the harsh white noise of cymbals. I can actually hear better with the ear plugs and that makes for playing better. And the snare crack...oh my God. That is an ear killer for sure. An hour of a snare bashing three feet from your ears will kill you.

I don't use ear plugs at guitar gigs though. Not necessary. Even though I'm pretty loud I can escape the sonic death beam from my cabs. If it's a small stage and I'm close to the drummer I'll sometimes wear earplugs to shut him up.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I ended up watching the ear plugs video. It was a little more nuanced ("bad ear plugs create problems that good earplugs don't; therefore, wear good earplugs")
Cheap earplugs are kind of nice when you're a vocalist. Since they block out everything outside your head, the "poor-vocalist's monitor" effect can be pretty useful. Until I lost my good plugs, I used to use one cheap earplug in whatever ear faced the drum kit, and a fitted one in whichever ear faced the monitors.
tadpui wrote:- airtight - this is more for high frequencies, but if you add up all of the little air gaps around your whole room, it'd add up to a pretty good-sized hole in the wall
So you're saying he should suspend his kit in a vacuum so no sound can escape?
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:58 pm So you're saying he should suspend his kit in a vacuum so no sound can escape?
The only logical conclusion is that we will all eventually be playing drums in space, as not to upset our neighbors. SPACE DRUMS!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Silent sticks

These popped up in my FB feed... might keep the neighbour a bit happier... :wink:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

"How quiet can you play" is a slogan that was definitely chosen to appeal to white dudes with acoustic guitars and the little old ladies in their congregations.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:11 pm white dudes with acoustic guitars
This one's called Wonderwall
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:45 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:11 pm white dudes with acoustic guitars
This one's called Wonderwall
This one's called "Wonderwall, but the second line of the chorus says Jesus is gonna be the one that saves me"
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

G sus
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Stage 1 - I'm getting a shit load of floor boards delivered on Saturday.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:27 am Stage 1 - I'm getting a shit load of floor boards delivered on Saturday.
Stage 2 is the shit load of tennis balls?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Stage 3 is a a court appearance for disturbing the peace
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:02 pm
JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:27 am Stage 1 - I'm getting a shit load of floor boards delivered on Saturday.
Stage 2 is the shit load of tennis balls?
Nah, that's insulating the roof.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:06 pm Stage 3 is a a court appearance for disturbing the peace
That's at least stage 5 at the moment... we call it an ASBO in the UK.