Mic Comparison Rode NT1 - AKG D5

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
JD01

Mic Comparison Rode NT1 - AKG D5

Post by JD01 »

OK, so the Rode NT1 arrived this morning.
1st thing I noticed is that its easy to get a half decent sound out of. Aside from a hi-pass there's a lot less fannying about with the EQ.
I've tried to process them and mix them in a pretty similar way. I think as I finalise this song I might go for less distortion on the lead vocal.
Annoyingly I think the vocal performance I did a few weeks ago into the D5 is better for the lead vocal.

Have a listen and tell me what you think of:
A) The difference between the mics.
B) What you think I can improve with my processing of the vocal track.
C) What I can improve on the mix.
AKG D5 Chorus Mix.mp3
NT1 Chorus Mix.mp3
AKG D5 Chorus Solo.mp3
NT1 Chorus Solo.mp3
I'm pleased with the NT1 - its a lot brighter than the D5, easier to get a good sound out of, but it doesn't have the upper mid-range that my cheapo Focusrite Scarlett CM25 used to have which really highlighted the irritating nasal sound of my voice. Whenever I listened to the NT1a in demos I could kind of hear that nasal thing so I was desperate to avoid it. I could kind of hear in in that cheapo LDC that Greg recommended to me too (I'm convinced that thing is a clone of an NT1a)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Re: Mic Comparison Rode NT1 - AKG D5

Post by Greg_L »

The NT1 has a more "forward" sound that cuts better. The D5 is too bassy for vocals IMO.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

The D5 has a hi pass on it, a wide cut to the lows and a boost in the highs. I think I've even given it a little lift with a hi shelf!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:54 am The D5 has a hi pass on it, a wide cut to the lows and a boost in the highs. I think I've even given it a little lift with a hi shelf!
Here's what you do with the D5:

Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'm gonna be reboarding my attic over the winter. The D5 will be getting an outing as a possible kick mic.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:43 am I'm gonna be reboarding my attic over the winter. The D5 will be getting an outing as a possible kick mic.
Sure, try it. I bet it would do better as a snare or tom mic.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:40 am

Here's what you do with the D5:

succinct and well-stated
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:47 am
JD01 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:43 am I'm gonna be reboarding my attic over the winter. The D5 will be getting an outing as a possible kick mic.
Sure, try it. I bet it would do better as a snare or tom mic.
Probably. But I have a 57 or i5 for that.
I don't plan on micing toms to start with. Just a pair of overheads, kick and snare.
Of the mics I have, its probably the most suitable for kick until I can justify a D112
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Listening on a pair of HD380s, the difference is more subtle than I expected. But I do agree that the NT1 has a bit more presence in the "good spots" of the spectrum. I'd agree that it'll be easier to get to sit in the mix with less fiddling. I think that you made a good purchase there!
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

I'll be a voice of dissent...partially. The added presence of the NT1 is nice. But it's missing a bit of "meat". Not sure if that's due to differences in the mics, the performances, the mixes, or the levels of distortion. (Nice that you added the separate vocal tracks so it's easy to hear the added grit.)

Question: the background vocals sound very good in both; did you re-track those with the new mic, or was that consistent throughout?
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
JD01

Post by JD01 »

SweetDan wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:09 pm I'll be a voice of dissent...partially. The added presence of the NT1 is nice. But it's missing a bit of "meat". Not sure if that's due to differences in the mics, the performances, the mixes, or the levels of distortion. (Nice that you added the separate vocal tracks so it's easy to hear the added grit.)

Question: the background vocals sound very good in both; did you re-track those with the new mic, or was that consistent throughout?
Yeah. I've retracked the whole thing.
I could probably be less aggressive with cutting out lows. I'm pathologically afraid of a muddy mix. So I normally chop out a lot of low mids.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

[mention]JD01[/mention]
Yes! The NT1 sounds much better. Cuts through nicely.

Your singing on recordings has also improved over time. Especially with harmonies.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

musicturtle wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:29 am @JD01
Yes! The NT1 sounds much better. Cuts through nicely.

Your singing on recordings has also improved over time. Especially with harmonies.
Weird in'it? You practice and you get better. Who'd have thought it. Long way to go before I've go something I think is worth keeping though.