NAD !!!

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

NAD !!!

Post by Lt. Bob »

Got my gRamp and set it up so this is where I'll spend tonight.
The eagle eyed will notice the strat isn't finished but I wanted to see what the purple git would look like next to the purple amp.
Answer? ...... purple
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lt. Bob

Re: NAD !!!

Post by Lt. Bob »

And my favorite part you would never see unless you turned the amp upside down and looked up into the bottom of the chassis.

Which I, of course, did ...... Nessie McNubbins!!!!!

Amp sounds great ,,,,, the reverb is huge .... most reverb of any amp I can remember ...... I have to barely turn it on ..... when you turn it more than a 1/4 it's surf city!
Awesome ...... and the vibrato is DEEEEEP!

Nice amp ...... I'ma gonna melt into it once wifey goes to bed.

Thanks Greg .... a beautiful awesome build man ...... plus a good luck Nubbie !!!!

:like:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Haha Nubs is watching over you. Under that cover is your filter caps.

Very cool, I'm glad it made it there safe and sound and all is well. Now rock the fuck out of that thing.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

EXCELLENT!
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

HA! Nessie!! LOL! thats awesome. The small details that matter most. I think the little smiley face is what does it for me. that and the purple. I likes the purple.

That is one hell of a spiffy looking rig!!! I love it. :like: :like: :like:
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I did actually LOL when I saw the Nessie sticker :D

That thing looks like a million bucks! And the signature is a nice touch. Did you transfer it on there, or did you get brave and sign the amp itself?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt Boob wanted me to sign it right on the front, like the angled "Deluxe Reverb" that would normally go there. So I did.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

and it's perfect !
Silly as it may seem I was so glad to see it and, as I said, it's one of the first things wifey commented on.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

So how's it working out? What do you think about the master volume and neg feedback switch?

That reverb and tremolo is fucking sick right? There's not an amp out there that does reverb and trem better than a blackface Fender.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I'm actually about to go into my room and play with it some more while I mix down some live recordings I made last week.

It's awesome .... the Master works great and, in fact, I've had it on halfway since I turned it on. I haven't tried it at lower volumes yet but I will in a few minutes 'cause wifey went to bed.
The verb and vibrato are that quintessential Fender sound that defines those two things even today.
They're perfect ..... I'm amazed at how much 'verb the thing has.

I was surprised the vibrato intensity knob had a 'clicked' off position .... did the Fenders have that?
Nice labeling you did on everything BTW.

The feedback .... at halfway up on the master (which is the only setting I've had it on so far) there's a definite difference .... with feedback on it has a much tighter bottom end and is ... well, more polite sounding for lack of a better word ....with feedback off it's louder for one thing and it gets fatter sounding but the bottom end is looser ...... I'm really not sure which I like better actually .... in the room by itself I slightly prefer it with feedback I think .... but this seems to me that it might be something that I change from gig to gig depending on the gig and the room.

Currently I have the V30 in the cab but I have other speakers .... a Weber Michigan .... an EV.
I'm even sorta interested in the Celestion 25 watt Creamback ..... but for now it's the V30.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:02 am I'm actually about to go into my room and play with it some more while I mix down some live recordings I made last week.

It's awesome .... the Master works great and, in fact, I've had it on halfway since I turned it on. I haven't tried it at lower volumes yet but I will in a few minutes 'cause wifey went to bed.
The verb and vibrato are that quintessential Fender sound that defines those two things even today.
They're perfect ..... I'm amazed at how much 'verb the thing has.
Great, glad to hear it. I was very pleased with how the PPIMV works with that amp. I knew it would work, but it works better than I thought it would. Very smooth and stable.

The reverb, it has a very big two spring tank. It's pretty much the same tank that's designed for the stand alone reverb unit. It's very sensitive to how it's mounted though. It has be horizontal, open side down. You could actually mount it any ol way you want, but it's designed to be mounted a specific way. One thing I've noticed about the reverb is that by itself, just playing in a room, it might seem too much. When you get it out live with a band and/or other instruments, what was too much at home is just right live.

I was surprised the vibrato intensity knob had a 'clicked' off position .... did the Fenders have that?
Nice labeling you did on everything BTW.
Ha thanks. It beats the sharpie scribbling over white electrical tape I did on my own.

The switchable intensity is unique to this kit. It's not on the original Fenders. It's good though because what it does is disable that part of the circuit if you're one of those guys that never uses the tremolo. You'll notice the amp gets a bit louder if you click the knob off. Fender tremolos, while sounding the best, have a slight volume loss when you use the tremolo. Tremolo is just volume modulation. It's a wave of volume going up and down. You're not actually losing volume but it seems that way because the peak of the tremolo oscillation is your max volume and it's only at that point for a brief moment. Whatever your volume is set at is the highest it can go and it spends most of it's tremolo time below that so it seems quieter overall. That's just how it works.
The feedback .... at halfway up on the master (which is the only setting I've had it on so far) there's a definite difference .... with feedback on it has a much tighter bottom end and is ... well, more polite sounding for lack of a better word ....with feedback off it's louder for one thing and it gets fatter sounding but the bottom end is looser ...... I'm really not sure which I like better actually .... in the room by itself I slightly prefer it with feedback I think .... but this seems to me that it might be something that I change from gig to gig depending on the gig and the room.
Right. That's pretty much how it works. With feedback on it will be tighter and controlled. With no feedback it will be looser and louder and little wilder. The feedback mod should be most noticeable at louder master volume settings and proportionally lose it's effect as you turn the master volume quieter. At very low "bedroom" type volume levels it might be barely noticeable at all. It's all related to the master volume and the feedback. At low master volumes there's very little feedback being sent back into the power section so turning the feedback on or off pretty much does nothing because there's not much feedback there anyway. It's similar to a presence control. Your amp doesn't have a presence knob, but if it did it would lose it's effectiveness with the PPIMV turned way down.
Currently I have the V30 in the cab but I have other speakers .... a Weber Michigan .... an EV.
I'm even sorta interested in the Celestion 25 watt Creamback ..... but for now it's the V30.
The V30 is a great speaker for that amp. For me, the Greenback-type speakers don't go very well with this amp. I never use my Greenbacks with the Fender sound. They're great for loud midrangey Marshalls, but the speakers just aren't voiced well for a ballsy clean Fender sound. It might be their light magnets, I don't know. Even though the Deluxe has pretty modest wattage, it's big clean punch is still enough to make a Greenback fart out a little bit. If you wanna try something in the Greenback family, you'd probably want the bass cones or the heavy magnet versions. They'd probably work better IMO.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

So far bedroom volumes for me is the Master halfway up ...... wifey's pretty tolerant of noise while she's asleep and I don't find it to be loud at all at that volume ..... master halfway and channel volume around halfway between 9 and 10 o clock

It takes pedals very well

I've been at it a couple of hours .... time for ice cream!!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Great. Bob. Looks great.
I fucking love those evenings where you just get a sound dialed in that you like and just lose hours playing just cos you want to.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Proper nice Lt... Well done Gerg..