VST Compressor Comparison

General recording topics.
JD01

Re: VST Compressor Comparison

Post by JD01 »

LOL. People actually dressed like that in the early 2000s.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:06 pm LOL. People actually dressed like that in the early 2000s.
There is a lot to make fun of about it. But I just laugh most of it off. Those mallcore losers are lame. But to me, the one thing that makes me want to punch them to death the most, is the giant ear holes.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I don't really know what any of the random-aggressive-word-core things mean. They just look ridiculous to me... it also looks like an expensive and time consuming way of leaving the house.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:10 pm
JD01 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:06 pm LOL. People actually dressed like that in the early 2000s.
There is a lot to make fun of about it. But I just laugh most of it off. Those mallcore losers are lame. But to me, the one thing that makes me want to punch them to death the most, is the giant ear holes.
Same. And even more frustrating is there has barely been one fucking peep about cultural appropriation with respect to that. Seems cultural appropriation only applies to white women at halloween time?

Fuck. :headwall:
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I wonder if people just feel more awkward calling out appropriation when it's in the form of permanent body modifications?

Once you've gauged your ears, whelp. That's that. You now have holes in your ears.
You can tell someone to go home and change if they're wearing a head dress. You can't really tell them to change their body.

Kind of like how Mike Tyson got only a little flack for his tribal face tattoo.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:16 am

Kind of like how Mike Tyson got only a little flack for his tribal face tattoo.
I think Mike Tyson being Mike Tyson had a lot to do with no one criticizing him.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Not sure what I think of cultural appropriation. Some accusations of it seem valid... some seem bollocks.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:09 pm Not sure what I think of cultural appropriation. Some accusations of it seem valid... some seem bollocks.
I think most of it is bollocks.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:09 pm Not sure what I think of cultural appropriation. Some accusations of it seem valid... some seem bollocks.
I'm with you there 100%.

Add to that some things get overlooked and given a 100% pass on accusation? I used the ear plugs thing as a sort of an example. Like how is that not appropriation of other cultures? Why does it get a pass? Is it considered "appreciation"? That's the grey area i don't get and makes it really frustrating to take the whole movement serious.

Maybe VHS is right and it's harder for people to call people out on their shit when they have modified their body. then you are creeping on into "body shaming" territory :spacepalm: But really though? REALLY?! In this day and age with every person in the world that has paid for their own personal megaphone to keep in their pocket at all times, IS IT actually that hard and that awkward to call out the ear plug people? Or the tattoo people?

Really?

The tattoo one is a whole other big one too for me. Hypocritically so as well as i have a few myself, but, like i said, that's a conversation in and of itself. I really see no fucking difference at all between a 30 year old white girl dressed as Pocahontas, drunk and gobblin dick on Halloween, and a 30 year old white who just got a mandala tattooed between her boobs and get's drunk and gobbles dick any given weekend of the year?

Where is the line and when does it get drawn?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:07 pm
Greg_L wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:10 pm

Same. And even more frustrating is there has barely been one fucking peep about cultural appropriation with respect to that. Seems cultural appropriation only applies to white women at halloween time?

Fuck. :headwall:
See, she (or is it he?) can rock that look. And the scar/bumps look pretty neat too. But that's because she's got a great canvas to work on - smooth, very dark skin. Would just look stupid on a whitey. Not sure, however, if her decorations were all her choices, alas.

+1 for hating ear holes. Don't see them much these days, PTL.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:10 pm I really see no fucking difference at all between a 30 year old white girl dressed as Pocahontas, drunk and gobblin dick on Halloween, and a 30 year old white who just got a mandala tattooed between her boobs and get's drunk and gobbles dick any given weekend of the year?

You can start by posting pics of these girls.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:34 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:10 pm I really see no fucking difference at all between a 30 year old white girl dressed as Pocahontas, drunk and gobblin dick on Halloween, and a 30 year old white who just got a mandala tattooed between her boobs and get's drunk and gobbles dick any given weekend of the year?

You can start by posting pics of these girls.
Meh, they all look the same whit their head in your lap. :happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:59 pm
Meh, they all look the same whit their head in your lap. :happytrees:
:minernuggs:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Soooooooooooooo

Try any good compressors lately, guys?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:57 am Soooooooooooooo

Try any good compressors lately, guys?
Yeah. All of them. They all sound the same.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:10 pm
The tattoo one is a whole other big one too for me. Hypocritically so as well as i have a few myself, but, like i said, that's a conversation in and of itself. I really see no fucking difference at all between a 30 year old white girl dressed as Pocahontas, drunk and gobblin dick on Halloween, and a 30 year old white who just got a mandala tattooed between her boobs and get's drunk and gobbles dick any given weekend of the year?

It's only goblin dick on Halloween. Otherwise, it's not seasonally appropriate.

Also, what's with the slut shaming? Her sexuality has nothing to do with her racism!

Actually, sexism probably is a big part of it. A white dude with gauges gets away with it because he's a white dude, whereas a white girl with a dreamcatcher tattoo will be roundly mocked for having essentially cursed hirself.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Hmmm Pocahontas... girl dresses up as Disney character... girl dons blackface to mock native Americans... context and intent matter.

I can see why it could be seen as a problem. But there's always the possibility that it can be taken too far.... now you might say I shouldn't play reggae cos I'm crap at it... that's fine. But me being pastey faced ginger Celt should have nothing to do with it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:37 am

Actually, sexism probably is a big part of it. A white dude with gauges gets away with it because he's a white dude, whereas a white girl with a dreamcatcher tattoo will be roundly mocked for having essentially cursed hirself.
I wonder if it's sexist that I judge them differently. For me, I'm way less tolerant of white dudes doing dumb things than I am of any girl doing similarly dumb things.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:50 am Hmmm Pocahontas... girl dresses up as Disney character... girl dons blackface to mock native Americans... context and intent matter.

I can see why it could be seen as a problem. But there's always the possibility that it can be taken too far.... now you might say I shouldn't play reggae cos I'm crap at it... that's fine. But me being pastey faced ginger Celt should have nothing to do with it.
'cause you look and sound like this guy?

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcK0MYgnHjo[/BBvideo]
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

No one cared that The Clash dipped their toes into the reggae pool. They did it out of admiration and respect for the style.

Music should be off limits in all this cultural crybaby cancel culture shit.

If someone wants to suck at a genre outside of their typical box, so be it.
Rebel Yell