VST Compressor Comparison

General recording topics.
JD01

Re: VST Compressor Comparison

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:11 pm No one cared that The Clash dipped their toes into the reggae pool. They did it out of admiration and respect for the style.

Music should be off limits in all this cultural crybaby cancel culture shit.

If someone wants to suck at a genre outside of their typical box, so be it.
Was a different time then.
I'd be curious as to what would happen if a bunch of white British guys formed a successful reggae band right now.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:17 pm
I'd be curious as to what would happen if a bunch of white British guys formed a successful reggae band right now.
No one cares that Rancid sometimes dabbles in a very white-washed version of reggae. It's obvious that their inspiration is The Clash though, so the respectful lineage is still intact.

It's hard to tell. Black culture is trickling into country music, so I guess anything is possible.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:26 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:17 pm
No one cares that Rancid sometimes dabbles in a very white-washed version of reggae. It's obvious that their inspiration is The Clash though, so the respectful lineage is still intact.

It's hard to tell. Black culture is trickling into country music, so I guess anything is possible.
Music is the melting pot it seems. Where good minds come together and try to steer the ship.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:36 pm

Music is the melting pot it seems. Where good minds come together and try to steer the ship.
Except for metal.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:36 pm Music is the melting pot it seems. Where good minds come together and try to steer the ship.
Lol... suppose that depends how much you like Rancid.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Thing about accusations of cultural appropriation, they strike me as a bit of moral and ethical dead end that will just end up being divisive. Only black people allowed to have a black 'fro? Does that mean only white people are allowed to be straight haired blondes?

I'm a white British guy. Would I be allowed to open an Indian restaurant? Even if I was the best Indian chef in the country? (I do fucking love Indian food by the way).

Sure, call out genuine racism and insensitivity where you see it but don't go looking for it where it isn't, you'll just alienate people who would otherwise agree with you. Context and intent matter.

The destiny of accusations of cultural appropriation seems to be to silo the different "races" when there's not even a scientific definition of what race means in an ethic context. The only people who seem to have made a real effort to define race are racists.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I don't give a fuck whose culture it is, I'm not gonna stop eating fried chicken.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I like the idea of a more meritocratic treatment of things. It is worth paying attention to when people are being pushed out tho. Jazz, rock, and blues were all Black-invented genres in the US, but white people intentionally forced Black people out of those spaces and took them over for themselves.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying things from outside your own culture, but it's important to not try to claim that they're yours at the expense of other people.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'm claiming crawfish etouffee and cannolis. You fuckers can't have them.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:07 pm I like the idea of a more meritocratic treatment of things. It is worth paying attention to when people are being pushed out tho. Jazz, rock, and blues were all Black-invented genres in the US, but white people intentionally forced Black people out of those spaces and took them over for themselves.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying things from outside your own culture, but it's important to not try to claim that they're yours at the expense of other people.
Its equally important that people don't suggest that outsiders can't enjoy things from within their culture.

The forcing people out thing was also off the back of the US still being segregated when these things started to gain popularity though.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:32 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:07 pm I like the idea of a more meritocratic treatment of things. It is worth paying attention to when people are being pushed out tho. Jazz, rock, and blues were all Black-invented genres in the US, but white people intentionally forced Black people out of those spaces and took them over for themselves.

Its equally important that people don't suggest that outsiders can't enjoy things from within their culture.

The forcing people out thing was also off the back of the US still being segregated when these things started to gain popularity though.
True. In a more general sense, there is a balance that needs to be found between segregation and not allowing people places to explore who they are as a shared minority identity without worrying about what cis/het/white folks think.

In the more specific sense. Clapton is allowed to play the blues, but we should all drag him for being bad at it.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:47 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:32 pm

True. In a more general sense, there is a balance that needs to be found between segregation and not allowing people places to explore who they are as a shared minority identity without worrying about what cis/het/white folks think.

In the more specific sense. Clapton is allowed to play the blues, but we should all drag him for being bad at it.
Lol.. much like my reggae.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I'm sure there's a soft knee line in here somewhere...