New vocal mic considerations.

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
JD01

New vocal mic considerations.

Post by JD01 »

Ok. I quite fancy another vocal mic.
Bit of background first. I started using a focusrite CM25 condenser that I got with a bundle kit. Its OK. Has a cheap nasal sound when singing that I can't deal with.

Tried my AKG C1000S. This mic works really well for me on acoustic guitar, doesn't work for vocals at all.

I figured part of the problem is that I'm quite loud and the room is small. That being said it is fairly well treated and dry. So I've tried an AKG D5. I've had some success with this, the best vocal I've recorded and mixed so far was with this. But I'm still doing a hell of a lot to it to get a tone I can live with. Now I'm not a great singer which is obviously the main problem... but the extremes of EQ going for obviously aren't helping.

You all know i play anything from cheesy 90s punk to grungy metally punk to metal and range from aggressive singing to screaming.

I figured an SM7b is whats always recommended for this application but Greg thinks they're shit... Greg's probably listened to more of my music than anyone, except maybe Bubba, so I trust his opinion. They really hold their value. Even if I didn't like it I could flip it easily without really losing too much.

I really like the sound Greg gets on his own vocals... while that Audio Technia he uses isn't totally unattainable it would be a big spend for a hobbyist who's a shit singer.

MXLV67G - recommendation from Greg that I'd never heard of before and know fuck all about. Cheap. I could order it tomorrow without giving a fuck.

Anyone got any other suggestions to throw into the mix or any other considerations?
Greg_L

Re: New vocal mic considerations.

Post by Greg_L »

I truly believe the SM7b is only as popular as it is for "loud singers" because that fucking halfwit James Hetfield has been filmed using one. They're great broadcast mics, they're great bass cab mics, probably good for guitar cabs too. I think they're dogshit for vocals. The RE20 is also a great broadcasting mic. You don't hear of anyone tracking vocals with one though.

Your room may be small. But guess what? So are vocal booths, and your room is probably about the same size as a professional vocal booth. What do they use in pro vocal booths for pro vocals? Bad ass LDC mics. You don't have to go "bad ass", but definitely get a large diaphragm condenser. I recommended the V67G because it's an LDC, it's budget-friendly, and I know for certain that it works well with loud rock singers without needing much EQ.
Rebel Yell
Farview

Post by Farview »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:50 pm The RE20 is also a great broadcasting mic. You don't hear of anyone tracking vocals with one though.
Megadeth, Stevie Wonder...

Micheal Jackson used an SM7 for vocals on Thriller.

The RE20 is cool because it is relatively flat and is pretty immune to proximity effect. The SM7 has a slight midrange hump in it that helps with with clarity.

The downside to both these mics is that you need a decent preamp to make them sound good. Not only do they need a decent amount of gain, but cheap preamps tend to make them sound thinner than they should.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Another vote for LDC here [mention]JD01[/mention]

I used to use a 57 for vocals because it was a work horse and was the best mic i had available. Sadly though not for vocals it was the worst mic i had available. I had a little Limited edition ST90 that was much better than the 57, but i kept usingthe 57 becasue i thought someone would make fun of me for not using a Shure mic HAHA.

I picked up an AT2020 back in the day on the cheap and for as cheap and slightly metallic that mic was my vocal recordings changed overnight. I upgraded to a Blue Spark a few years ago and that thing is a beaut. It is touted as an LDC and i have used it for a bunch of stuff. mostly vocals and acoustics guitars. I got that on the cheap as well back a while ago about 150bucks used. I am 99% sure it would be an even better vocal mic, if i had a much better mic technique. (and made more time to perfect the process)

I would recommend trying the V67G for the price point and as a jumping off point for LDC's I would be very surprised if you even went shopping again after that.

Wouldn't your podcast guys have some LDC's you could borrow to try? Or are they using your mics?
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Farview wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:06 pm Megadeth, Stevie Wonder...

Micheal Jackson used an SM7 for vocals on Thriller.

The RE20 is cool because it is relatively flat and is pretty immune to proximity effect. The SM7 has a slight midrange hump in it that helps with with clarity.

The downside to both these mics is that you need a decent preamp to make them sound good. Not only do they need a decent amount of gain, but cheap preamps tend to make them sound thinner than they should.
Lol okay fair enough. Absolute pros in pro studios can use an RE20. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, for podcasts were using my mics. Its generally a group of 3 people so I'm setting out my two AKG C1000S as a spaced pair. Been working really well.

Don't want to try close dynamic micing people who are trying to have a natural conversion and don't have any consideration for mic technique.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:21 pm
MXLV67G - recommendation from Greg that I'd never heard of before and know fuck all about. Cheap. I could order it tomorrow without giving a fuck.

Anyone got any other suggestions to throw into the mix or any other considerations?
If you decide that's what you want, I may have one in the box barely used.
I think I have 2 actually .... a black one and a green one
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That Blue Spark is a peculiar looking thing. But its the right type of thing and its reasonably priced.
Aston Origin is another one that keeps coming up.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:31 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:21 pm

Xheers bob. PM me what you'd want for them, we'll see if the shipping means its not worthwhile.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:36 pm That Blue Spark is a peculiar looking thing. But its the right type of thing and its reasonably priced.
I haven't heard anyone speak ill of that Blue Mic in particular. Blue has a few gimmicky duds, but to my knowledge that is not one of them. [mention]musicturtle[/mention] Has an Aston Origin i believe and everything he uses it for sounds really great.

[mention]Farview[/mention] Raises a very good point about preamps. that is something i very rarely ever consider if i start gassing for mics.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I use a Rode NT2 - just FYI - not suggesting it, but we have similar vocal ranges, if completely different styles... :wink:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

I really like the Aston Origin. Not too expensive and consistent.

It has a bit of color to it, a bit dark to my ears. But I like it.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:37 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:31 pm

Xheers bob. PM me what you'd want for them, we'll see if the shipping means its not worthwhile.
oh, fuck me ..... I forgot that you live in a civilized country ...... bet with shipping it'd be as easy to just order one new.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Finding the right vocal mic is tough, from what I'm finding out. I'm not a fan of my own voice, so it's tough to find the right fit. Of the ones that I have, the LDC mics tend to win the fight most of the time, unless I'm going for something specific.

But...as much as I'm exhausted with people saying that the SM7B is the be-all end-all mic on youtube and facebook...I think that it might actually be worth a try for your vocal style. It has built-in options for tailoring the low end and the high end, and it'll reject just about everything else happening in your room other than your face right up in it.

I've heard both great and awful things out of other people using an SM7B on vocals, but I've never tried one myself so take my opinion as purely second hand. I don't know how much EQ sculpting it took to get the great results I've heard. I assume it was a lot.
Farview

Post by Farview »

I used an sm7 on most of the aggressive vocals I recorded. It is very forgiving with sibalance and P and B popping. It takes to heavy compression well.

Next to most condensers, it will sound a little dull, because it doesn't have the hyped high end that most condenser have. It will tend to give you what you give it, and it works best when you are right up on it.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:39 pm I use a Rode NT2 - just FYI - not suggesting it, but we have similar vocal ranges, if completely different styles... :wink:
Lol. You can sing, mate.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Farview wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:54 am I used an sm7 on most of the aggressive vocals I recorded. It is very forgiving with sibalance and P and B popping. It takes to heavy compression well.

Next to most condensers, it will sound a little dull, because it doesn't have the hyped high end that most condenser have. It will tend to give you what you give it, and it works best when you are right up on it.
I'm curious about a mic taking compression well.
Surely the amount you can compress a signal before you start to get weird artifacts depends on its dynamics and transients... so are you saying that a 7b somehow gives you a less dynamic signal?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

So, summary.

MXL - £115
SM7b - £377
AT4047 ~£600
Blue Spark - £180
Aston Origin - £190 (this is currently heavily discounted at Andertons)
Rode NT1A - £150
Rode NT2a - £250

Is the only difference between the 1A and 2A all the extra options on the 2A with boosts and hi passes?

Ergh... listening to mic comparisons is pretty horrible isn't it.
Last edited by JD01 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:26 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:37 pm
oh, fuck me ..... I forgot that you live in a civilized country ...... bet with shipping it'd be as easy to just order one new.
Yeah - probably no point Bob 'cos its quite a cheep mic anyway.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK - been looking at the MXL mic.
Its cheap, I might just buy it and try it.
However, I don't want to just waste money.
The reviews I've seen of it seem to imply to me at least that it sounds similar to my old Scarlett CM25, its got a similar brightness that I'm worried might sound harsh with my voice. It also looks pretty similar to my CM25 which might be one of the reasons I think it might be similar (you know it looks the same so my tiny mind is telling me it is the same). But it got me thinking, you reckon these cheaper LDCs at this price point could all just be re-badged versions of the same thing?

Basically I don't want to go through this whole process and have 3 or 4 mics I don't like which ends up having cost me just as much as an AT4047 or 7b anyway.