E Kit Questions.

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

E Kit Questions.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Man i really wish the minernuggs were still with us today i could have just emailed him this question :( . I could really use his help. I hope he is getting some rest and chugging some Dew where ever he is

:illdrinktothat: :minernuggs:

Anyways, My buddy recently picked up an Alesis Strike Pro Ekit, and he has been sending me demos of what it can do. All the pieces seem to sound decent for an Ekit, but i have been asking him of if it has an overhead output? Or if the software in his daw he uses has an overhead mic component to it? With out that it just sort of smacks of fake drums?

If i understand these ekits at all i think there is a brain / module that has a library within it of sounds he can send straight to his daw as he plays But i would think that most models at this price point can utilize software within a daw like EZD, or Superior? Which if that were the caee i would think having access to an overhead track would be very easy? Maybe not so much with the libraries contained in the brain / module portion?

If he is only using the brain / module portion, do we know if an overhead track is something he has to manufacture on his end in his daw? like compile a bunch of the individual outputs and stuff to simulate overheads? Or should a kit / software of that quality be able to do it out of the box.

Kind of looking at [mention]Tadpui[/mention] and maybe [mention]paulman[/mention] for some helpful guidance here? Forgive me guys for making assumptions, here should i be wrong.
:happytrees:
paulman

Re: E Kit Questions.

Post by paulman »

Well, I have absolutely no experience with module sounds, because I have never even listened to the ones on my set. I've always had good drum samples on my computer, and I recently got SD3 so now I really have the best. I googled the Alesis set, and I don't see anything about overheads. Honestly, I would just stick with software anyway. Even when the day finally comes that I decide to drop several thousand on a Roland set, I will not use the brain's sounds. SD3 is better than anything Roland puts out, and it's easier to edit that way. With SD3 (and probably any sample software), you have overhead mics to play with.

So short answer, yes you can absolutely use the Alesis set as a MIDI controller for samples in a DAW, and if you do it that way you should have overhead mic options in the VST. Overhead mics in the brain for that particular model are a no-go, I think, but I could be wrong.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I was going to suggest you basically just use the EKit as a MIDI controller to programme your MIDI strip and then use a normal software drum package.

The onboard sounds from the kit will be fine for you to listen to while tracking though.

I think this is what Paulman was saying.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:22 pm I hope he is getting some rest and chugging some Dew where ever he is
Those two are really quite in conflict! Chugging Dew and being twitchy more like.

I think the two main modes of operation would be using the stereo out (so you get the on-board sounds of the kit) or using the midi out (to control your VSTi)
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Awesome OK thanks dudes!

[mention]paulman[/mention] that sort of in line with my thinking. I was thinking he could use it as a trigger for better librarys. I know he doesn't have any of the good drum softwares but i'm half thinking something similar to EZD, SD or Slate drums would have shipped with the kit? I'll have to google to see what comes in the box with it and have the convo with him. Thanks man.

We are just trying to do some online collab work and trouble shooting him when he is on the other end of the province is kinda hard.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Surely if he just does the thumping and sends you the MIDI, you can supply the better sounds from whatever you have? The OHs aren't part of the MIDI.

You might want to also check whether any libraries you have allow for multiple installs. Both my now-unused Addictive and SSD4 allowed 2 installs per licence, so I let the other half of the band use one in his studio... That's an option if he didn't have anything.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:08 pm You might want to also check whether any libraries you have allow for multiple installs. Both my now-unused Addictive and SSD4 allowed 2 installs per licence, so I let the other half of the band use one in his studio... That's an option if he didn't have anything.
Ahh yes right you are !! I do actually have my old Ezdrummer out on loan now i could always retreive it and pitch it over to this fellow. Good thinking Armi.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I agree with what the others say...just use the e-kit as a MIDI controller for some VSTi. It sounds like you've got an extra install of EZD hanging around. Or, SSD5 has a free kit that sounds great from what I've heard (if he can tolerate the user interface). I think that September is Toontrack's sale month, so he may even be able to grab EZD or SD3 for himself at a more reasonable price that its usual steep retail price.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I thought toontrack's sales were mostly during the lead up to christmas?

Edit: yeah. November and December: https://www.toontrack.com/news/deal-extravaganza/6/
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:46 am I thought toontrack's sales were mostly during the lead up to christmas?

Edit: yeah. November and December: https://www.toontrack.com/news/deal-extravaganza/6/
Noted! Good find VHS.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I'd seen some promo on Facebook a couple of weeks ago that led me to believe that they had specials running this month. I guess not?