Some new pups for me

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

Bill L

Some new pups for me

Post by Bill L »

So I ordered some pups from Doghouse and I finally got a chance to put them in. Mutt recently sent me a set for a Strat (the roller coaster Strat I'm building) a vintage Tele set (for the roller coaster Tele that is finally almost completed) and a set for Epiphone Firebird. The Firebird is a mid 80's Made in Korea Firebird 500 which had a single coil in the neck and a humbuker in the bridge. Mutt made me a Ripper for the neck and a TV Jones for the bridge. I also had previously bought a set a PAFs that I had put into my The Fool SG. Wow, these things sound great. I was noodling around this morning with The Fool and the Firebird and these pups just scream! I can't wait to finish the Tele and start the Strat!
Bill L

Re: Some new pups for me

Post by Bill L »

P_20200907_103742_LL.jpg
P_20200907_110120_LL.jpg
P_20200907_123351_LL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Fuck yeah awesome. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Glad we finally got these things done and rockin'... What with Covid and shit its taken a while.

I'd be particularly interested on you thoughts on the TVJ/Filtertron as you have the very first one out of the Doghouse. You get to name it... Also the Tele set is a new recipe so all comments greatly received.

The Ripper is also a side loading pup so its a much harder build than a drop in scratchplate model. I hope that its gone in OK. There isn't much of a baseplate on those to get all the wiring done tidy.

As usual any problems just holla...
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

muttley wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:12 pm Glad we finally got these things done and rockin'... What with Covid and shit its taken a while.

I'd be particularly interested on you thoughts on the TVJ/Filtertron as you have the very first one out of the Doghouse. You get to name it... Also the Tele set is a new recipe so all comments greatly received.

The Ripper is also a side loading pup so its a much harder build than a drop in scratchplate model. I hope that its gone in OK. There isn't much of a baseplate on those to get all the wiring done tidy.

I'll keep you posted. I'll also try to get you some clips. My buddy is recording a bunch of albums at his studio so I'll sneak my way in and do it right for you.

On a side note, my buddy recommended 2 things that I agreed would be helpful:
1. Make the wires a little bit longer. We had to extend the wire for TVJones and one of the PAFs because the toggle switch is so far away from the pup we ran out of wire.
2. On the box mention that it's Gibson Std wiring or otherwise label which wires are what. We figured it out and you confirmed that our thinking was correct but it'd be easier if was marked.

My buddy loved your pups and was thinking of ordering a few sets. He's a touring sound guy stage manager for a bunch of national acts and he runs a studio. This guy can get your product into some pretty cool hands and on some records.

And thank you for all of your hard work on these! You're the best :not worthy:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:12 pm

I'd be particularly interested on you thoughts on the TVJ/Filtertron
This. I wanna hear that thing.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Nice work boys. I second the request for the TVJ sound samples!!!

What was the new recipe for the telecaster pups?
:happytrees:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bill L wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:29 pm
muttley wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:12 pm Glad we finally got these things done and rockin'... What with Covid and shit its taken a while.

I'll keep you posted. I'll also try to get you some clips. My buddy is recording a bunch of albums at his studio so I'll sneak my way in and do it right for you.

1. Make the wires a little bit longer. We had to extend the wire for TVJones and one of the PAFs because the toggle switch is so far away from the pup we ran out of wire.
2. On the box mention that it's Gibson Std wiring or otherwise label which wires are what. We figured it out and you confirmed that our thinking was correct but it'd be easier if was marked.

My buddy loved your pups and was thinking of ordering a few sets. He's a touring sound guy stage manager for a bunch of national acts and he runs a studio. This guy can get your product into some pretty cool hands and on some records.

1. Thats weird.. 14" is a standard for neck and 12" for bridge. Unless I bodged and grabbed a stray bit of off cut?

2. On my standard insert card I have the colours listed. Seems I forgot to pack them with yours. I was rushing to get them out so apologies.

Id be more than happy to ship over some pups for your buddy if he is interested. Let me know what he would want.
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:25 pm Nice work boys. I second the request for the TVJ sound samples!!!

What was the new recipe for the telecaster pups?
From memory, as I am not in my workshop right now, Bill wanted a fairly vintage wind with a little edge. He had a 62 set? and wanted a more 50's set? The original Tele pups were straight out of lap steels and often the balance can be a wee bit off. I wound the neck with 44awg wire and the bridge with 43awg. A very subtle change to the wind count and I hope it balances out. I use it on my Telecaster and I like it a lot. Kind of 50's with a bit of the 60's mids thrown in...
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

muttley wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:27 pm
Bill L wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:29 pm

1. Thats weird.. 14" is a standard for neck and 12" for bridge. Unless I bodged and grabbed a stray bit of off cut?

2. On my standard insert card I have the colours listed. Seems I forgot to pack them with yours. I was rushing to get them out so apologies.

Id be more than happy to ship over some pups for your buddy if he is interested. Let me know what he would want.
Because of the layout on the Firebird, the neck pup is very far away from the toggle switch. The opposite is true for the neck pup on an SG. At least in this case (which agreeably could be a once in a lifetime thing). Just thought I'd mention it.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bill L wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:35 pm
muttley wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:27 pm

Because of the layout on the Firebird, the neck pup is very far away from the toggle switch. The opposite is true for the neck pup on an SG. At least in this case (which agreeably could be a once in a lifetime thing). Just thought I'd mention it.
Ahhh, Gotcha... the route on that seems to go the long way round. Kind of Uber driver.... I shall add a disclaimer to my bumpf stating that standard lengths are standard and please check if you need a few more inches...( ooh err missus).
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

muttley wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:49 pm
Bill L wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:35 pm

Ahhh, Gotcha... the route on that seems to go the long way round. Kind of Uber driver.... I shall add a disclaimer to my bumpf stating that standard lengths are standard and please check if you need a few more inches...( ooh err missus).
No worries, my good man. Just thought I'd share. The general public can get rather ornery over the smallest things.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bill L wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:54 pm
muttley wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:49 pm

No worries, my good man. Just thought I'd share. The general public can get rather ornery over the smallest things.
lol... indeed, dont I know it. Especially these days. :lollers:
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Can you do a Seymour Duncan Brad Paisley Secret Agent style pick up? Another buddy is looking for an Esquire bridge pup but was thinking about getting this set.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:55 pm lol... indeed, dont I know it. Especially these days. :lollers:
Mutt you could just put a one-liner beneath the blurb on each p'up on the site - something like "All pickups come with standard xxmm wiring. Should you require longer wires, please get in touch" Then its your buyers fault!
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bill L wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:09 pm Can you do a Seymour Duncan Brad Paisley Secret Agent style pick up? Another buddy is looking for an Esquire bridge pup but was thinking about getting this set.
Does he have the route under the pickguard for one of them? The bridge esquire is pretty much a telecaster pup.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

muttley wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:05 am
Bill L wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:09 pm Can you do a Seymour Duncan Brad Paisley Secret Agent style pick up? Another buddy is looking for an Esquire bridge pup but was thinking about getting this set.
Does he have the route under the pickguard for one of them? The bridge esquire is pretty much a telecaster pup.
The body has a route for a pickup. He was planning on making an Esquire and saw this pickup.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Bill L wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:10 am
muttley wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:05 am

The body has a route for a pickup. He was planning on making an Esquire and saw this pickup.
ok, Some thoughts on it.

The SD Secret Agent is a specifically designed and made SD pup which means the magnets and Bobbins are not standard so I would have to look into fabricating those.

I have never seen one up close but from the sounds of it it is a pretty crude beast with a ceramic magnet and heavy gauge wire so it can work under the pickguard. Replicating something similar wouldn't hard but I would need to confirm the size of the route to confirm it is Tele shaped. I'd hate to make something up that didn't fit.

TBH from the sound clips I've heard I cant really see any advantage with them other than a neck pickup which keeps the single pup look of the Esquire.