BOSS SY-1

Got a cool pedal you want to tell the world about? Maybe an over hyped plugin that wasn't worth the bandwidth to download? Leave all your reviews in here to share with present and future rebels!
Lt. Bob

BOSS SY-1

Post by Lt. Bob »

I recently got a SY-1 synth pedal.

Tadpui mentioned synth pedals being difficult and I agreed with him but said I thought the SY-1 was different.
There's 11 different base sounds and 11 variations of each.

So I just threw this down ..... I cannot over-emphasize how casual I did this.
I grabbed a bass sound ...... and then for the rhythm organ I played one one sound for a bit, then just twisted the variation knob and used another one for a while and etc.
Same thing with the lead ..... just reached over and blindly picked whatever and changed it every so often.

And I didn't even touch the resonance or tone controls which make a huge difference.

I AM NOT CLAIMING this is great music!
But I do think it shows how well the thing tracks and has no latency ..... played guitar like I always do and got this.

All parts except drumbs are the SY-1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Re: BOSS SY-1

Post by rayc »

That was fun.
There's probably a TINY bit of recording rather than pedal latency in a couple of spots but nothing significant and you're right - HEAPS better tracking and it's pretty convincing stuff.
HEAPS of scope.
Jan Hammer would eat his heart out - he spent the late 70s and early 80s trying to make his synths play like guitars.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Ha, that's a lot of fun! There's a lot of textures in that little pedal. I heard a few familiar sounds in there that are familiar from albums that I've listened to over the years, and I wouldn't doubt that it was the SY-1 that was behind. There's even a little bit of that Jerry Garcia tone from one of the Dead's 90s songs (can't remember the title at the moment).

I especially like when it gets into its octave kinds of sounds.

Good purchase, that'll provide hours of entertainment!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

rayc wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:30 pm That was fun.
There's probably a TINY bit of recording rather than pedal latency in a couple of spots.
I think I know where you're talking about and that's Lt.- latency!
lol

I don't record to a 'puter and there's no interface involved so I don't really have latency in my recorder>

I don't really know what sounds I used in the pedal but there are some that have a delayed attack and that may be what you're hearing and also there was one spot in particular where I played badly ..... enough so that I almost redid the bass line .... but, as you know, I rarely redo things like this since it's a throw-away and I'm not that picky.
but this spot was bad enough that even I almost redid it.

Tadpui ..... yes, lots of possibilities here ........ I'm just dipping my toe in at this point.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:21 am ...delayed attack and that may be what you're hearing ...
That'd be it...it wasn't much and was only for a short bit.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Those are some pretty cheesy tones, but I bet this could be a lot of fun with an interesting pedal board afterwards.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Thats pretty cool. I'd be lost with that piece of kit staring me in the face but for someone like LT.Bob i could see it being endless hours of fun.

Send it to [mention]liv_rong[/mention] and see what he can do with it.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think it's okay. Not bad. To me I can tell it's a guitar through a synth. It's just in the way you play. So in using it for a "lead" sound that has to stand out, I'm not a huge fan. But as a backing track or a rhythm layer in a mix I think it would be great.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I’ll have to give this a listen on my monitors. Soon.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

liv_rong wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:55 pm I’ll have to give this a listen on my monitors. Soon.
I'm liking it quite a bit .... I haven't done anything super cool with it yet but even just diddling around it's pretty inspiring.
there's some good youtubes on it.

I also got an Oceans 11 'verb toy which is on this recording too.