Jumping on the "I need a new PC; I'll DIY it" bandwagon

General recording topics.
SweetDan

Re: Jumping on the "I need a new PC; I'll DIY it" bandwagon

Post by SweetDan »

Well, I decided that was a bit too much PC for me, both in processing power and in space on top of my desk, and I built something different instead:

- Intel Core i3-10100 (w/built in GPU)
- 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM
- MicroITX motherboard
- 500GB SSD
- smaller case
- other minor details

For what I need, this is plenty fast (esp. in comparison to the 11-year-old-laptop). With the smaller case, I can shove it in a cubby-hole built into one side of my desk, where I don't have to listen to the fans. I'm not taking detailed readings, but with a slightly less beefy CPU and no dedicated graphics card, I'd also guess it generates less heat overall, so the fan speeds can be slower, which means less noise.

I'll get a much nicer, more modern graphics card for PC build #1, then let my kids use it for gaming.

Most importantly, though, it works. (They both worked, of course. It's a little nicer to have less clutter on my desk.) Proof-of-life attached.
:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Congrats!

Does it get enough circulation in the cubby hole?
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

I have installed CPUID HWMonitor, and right now the temps are low (see attached screenshot; columns are: current value, min, max), so I assume there's enough airflow. I don't have super-detailed benchmarks, I don't push it very hard, but I didn't think to look at HWMonitor last night when I was running the DAW.
sd_newComp_hwmonitor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

That is awesome SD! Enjoy man. Must have been a nice feeling migrating from your old laptop!!!!
:happytrees: