Time for another "show us your home studio" thread!

General recording topics.
rayc

Re: Time for another "show us your home studio" thread!

Post by rayc »

I have a question @vomitHatSteve : does the new place tick any of your boxes?
Last edited by rayc on Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:55 pm Is this the old space being packed up or the new space as yet unpacked?
New space just loaded in
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:08 am I have a question @vomitHatSteve : does the new place tick any of your boxes?
Now ray, I can't commiserate with you if you go an edit everything out... :frown:

But if I end up 45 minutes to the east of your new digs sometime this year, you can always come out to the beach for a visit... :like:

Would help if the Qld government weren't so damn trigger happy on the borders. We're going to consider our options early March, I think. Doing our heads in trying to plot a path at the moment.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:45 pm
rayc wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:08 am I have a question @vomitHatSteve : does the new place tick any of your boxes?
Now ray, I can't commiserate with you if you go an edit everything out... :frown:

But if I end up 45 minutes to the east of your new digs sometime this year, you can always come out to the beach for a visit... :like:

Would help if the Qld government weren't so damn trigger happy on the borders. We're going to consider our options early March, I think. Doing our heads in trying to plot a path at the moment.
Yeah, it was a quick whinge and quicker edit.
I decided that it was to close to truth without humour to leave.
Yes, we're feeling a little caught out...Kim's sister is joining us in Qld and she has to move from current accommodation on the 25th - normally it'd've been easy and a move from Illawong to Cooran but now it's to a fill in pending borders opening and then organizing movers...no point doing that yet.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

It's got a basement!

I'm losing the separate control and live room setup I had before, and my ceiling is lower, but I can still get a band in there to practice and it looks nicer. (I don't need to paint this one)
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Turns out that all of the internet offerings here suuuuuuck
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:11 pm Turns out that all of the internet offerings here suuuuuuck
Oof, that's always a bad feeling. And it doesn't help that cable companies have basically been allowed to form monopolies just about everywhere in the US. So if the one dominant cable company has crappy service, there's no realistic alternative.

I got stuck with Comcast, but I lucked out that their service is actually pretty good in my area. With all of the Webex meetings for work over the last year, I've gotten a new appreciation of how good my internet is, after hearing countless breakups/stutters/disconnects by my coworkers.

I hope you get set up with something acceptable!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Comcast has an ostensibly good offering at the location. But comcast has the worst customer service in the world.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:00 pm Comcast has an ostensibly good offering at the location. But comcast has the worst customer service in the world.
I wouldn't argue with that. I've had to get them out to our house (and previous house) a few times. One time, I got an excellent cable guy that went through everything from the box in the yard through to every connection inside the house. I wish all of them were as good as that guy was.

Of course this was after getting transferred on the phone multiple times and waiting on hold for an insane amount of time. Their text chat might just be the best way to get a hold of them if you need to.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:01 pm Of course this was after getting transferred on the phone multiple times and waiting on hold for an insane amount of time. Their text chat might just be the best way to get a hold of them if you need to.
I was on their text chat yesterday. They needed to confirm my email and phone 3 times. Twice by the same rep. Then they said they'd need to do a credit check or have a $50 deposit even tho I've got something like a 10 year good payment history with them.
Then my browser refreshed, and they didn't have any mechanism to restore the session other than getting back in queue.

I'm gonna try phone support next. If that doesn't work, I'll probably just put up with lower speeds.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

We have a single network, built by the government and resold by various retail sellers, but the technical aspects of it are all done by NBN Co, the people who built it.

While it took forever to get here, now it's here I don't have a bad word for it. And connection was simple. I didn't support the incredible amount of money spent on it at the time. I think ray has a worse experience but mine is fine. As is GF's and most other people I know.

If you're wondering why the government would be in the business of building broadband networks - population density - there's no commercial argument for broadband out the back of beyond, so it was one way to ensure the country folk didn't get left behind. Now it did mean that cow cockies in Black Stump, Qld, had better internet than I could get for many years, but we got there eventually.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:18 pm
If you're wondering why the government would be in the business of building broadband networks - population density - there's no commercial argument for broadband out the back of beyond, so it was one way to ensure the country folk didn't get left behind. Now it did mean that cow cockies in Black Stump, Qld, had better internet than I could get for many years, but we got there eventually.
I've heard that same argument being made for the states, but it's not getting much traction outside of leftist circles.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:34 pm
Armistice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:18 pm
I've heard that same argument being made for the states, but it's not getting much traction outside of leftist circles.
The argument against here is that it ends up being obsolete pretty quickly. And it was lots of money, as you'd expect. It's also become a political whipping post because it was commenced by one side of politics (the left) when in power but then they lost power and haven't been in since and the majority of it had to be built while the right side was in power, and of course they rationalised it and it cost far more than the original higher spec estimate to eventually finish.

It was always going to cost way more than the original estimate, and if built to original spec would have cost more than eventually spent, but the left will never admit that and so the right get flogged mercilessly over it. But I guess they don't care, they're in power, and they built most of it, however it ended up being built.

Anyway, when the pandemic hit, it had just been finalised country wide, so it got a pretty good stress test when the whole country got locked in their homes. It seems to have passed OK.
rayc

Post by rayc »

NBN Broadband improved things for me - brought a speed and level that I had been paying for but not getting for 15 years.
The fact that the lines/actual wires had to be upgraded was what improved things for me.
Had we gone with the original government plan rather than the watered down/cheap as version that a subsequence govt. opted for I'd be REALLY happy.
The rearrangement of "work" & "school" during the worst of the pandemic, so far, made the case that it was a worthwhile govt. investment and that using the original specs would've been even better.
Down side - can't use fax, my land line is tied to the internet and all of the middlemen play games with speeds so they can make even more money.
Cheers
rayc
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

@vomitHatSteve are you still in Nash Vegas?

We are in Bellevue and yeah, not much to choose from here for internet.

We have ATT, just cannot stomach Comcast.

No fiber here from ATT or Google.

All in all we cannot complain as we do all TV through streaming and our child is a gamer.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

musicturtle wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:19 pm @vomitHatSteve are you still in Nash Vegas?
Yeah. Headed to hermitage just shy of the county line.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Decided to rearrange my room. Needed a little change for some additional inspiration.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:38 pm Decided to rearrange my room. Needed a little change for some additional inspiration.
... was there supposed to be a picture attached or is this just your dick tease post?
:happytrees:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:04 pm
liv_rong wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:38 pm Decided to rearrange my room. Needed a little change for some additional inspiration.
... was there supposed to be a picture attached or is this just your dick tease post?
Ha! Pics later, I still have a bunch of stuff to do.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I got a 2nd patchbay, and some snake cables that'll help keep things much tidier behind my rack. Today is the day I finally dive in and get things rewired. Wish me luck...

And @liv_rong show us the beautiful results after your re-org!