Time for another "show us your home studio" thread!

General recording topics.
Tadpui

Re: Time for another "show us your home studio" thread!

Post by Tadpui »

Oh man, I hurt. Crawling around on a concrete floor for 6 hours, crouching and stooping and kneeling. Every bony joint in my body hurts! Plus I'm really out of shape and haven't moved much in about a year, so that doesn't help...

I moved the dbx channel strips over to the sidecar rack, and added the new patchbay and wired it all up with a few new Hosa snake cables:
20210213_151150.jpg
And I used the spare space to bring back the ART Pro VLA II:
20210213_193033.jpg
I'll finish cable management at some point. I'm too damned tired and sore to finish it tonight. So I'm back in my favorite spot, watching YouTube videos and enjoying a rum and coke.

*edit* jeez, I had no idea how enormous that vertical picture would come out! Sorry to cause additional carpal tunnel syndrome as you scrolled past that one...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Awesome!
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

I’ve played with those Really Nice compressor and preamps before. Their name is appropriate.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:09 pm Oh man, I hurt. Crawling around on a concrete floor for 6 hours, crouching and stooping and kneeling. Every bony joint in my body hurts!
lol ....... I did my studio a couple weeks ago although it was more like a week of doing that.
I felt like someone had beat me up!
:lollers2:

Studio's looking good man!!
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Nice work @Tadpui.

You have a lot more stuff than me that is for sure.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:04 pm
liv_rong wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:38 pm Decided to rearrange my room. Needed a little change for some additional inspiration.
... was there supposed to be a picture attached or is this just your dick tease post?
Dicks or it didn't happen?
rayc

Post by rayc »

My new space is getting there.
No sound treatment ye but the space is being defined. rugs on the floor, 1st reflections met by book shelves, afternoon sun cut by cardboard.
I'm even using my R16, (mounted on an old snare stand), as a control surface...WAY easier for tracking as I can have it near me and just click record/stop etc.
The music stand holds a book with chord charts in it so I can work out what notes for harmonies and melodies etc, - no I cannot remember those things for the life of me so it's hold the guitar and make the shapes or look in the book...the book is less cumbersome.
Amps and speakers are on the side walls at present.
Some of my biggest problems are Bush Turkeys and crows. They knock on the windows when they're bug catching and it distracts or freaks me every time.
SLOWLY...getting there.
IMG_20210722_160310.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That looks like a great space, Ray. I'd love a space like that.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I ripped the horrible wire shelf wardrobe system out, patched the wall, and hung up some shelves - it'll be the guitar cupboard and home of mics, cables and whatever else I can fit on the shelves.

The wire rack/basket thing you can see on the left at the end of the desk has been dismantled and the amps are now in that corner, with enough room to stand a guitar up in front of them. When I get the rest of the studio up here - seems like months how, given how the virus is going in NSW - I'll get some floating shelves up above the desk for more stuff. I've also rehung the repainted door today and put a new handle on it - this will make a great difference to the recordings I'm sure... :lollers2:

I was tempted to put a privacy latch door handle set on instead of a normal passage set, so I could lock myself in, but walked back from it. :eep:
20210721_162841.jpg
This is largely going to be the control room - actual recording using mics will happen in the lounge room outside the door.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Excellent David,
Guitar cupboard is a cool thing to have. mine is full of guitars n basses as well as the parts for a g=full 5.1 n Quad system That will have to live in the "studio" space as well. The L/room next door - excellent stuff - time to get a remote set up for your DAW>
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Very cool, Aussies. Looks like the new spaces are coming along swimmingly.

@Armistice If you are going to have a detached tracking / control room what kind of set up will you have to hit the buttons when you are ready to start recording and stuff? Will you just leave a long one or two minute lead into your backing music or do you have some sort of remote or something?
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

@WhiskeyJack - it's really no different from what I've always done. Given the studio used to be in a corridor, I've always had anything miked in either the bedroom behind me (electric guitars) or the lounge (vocals & acoustic guitar), so I just use an appropriate count in, depending on what I'm actually recording.

It's all academic for a while yet anyway until I can get back to Sydney and get the PC, Kemper, interface etc.

I am having thoughts, if this goes on for months, of getting the interface posted up and trying to record on the laptop, but frankly, I have so much work to do here at the moment that recording would be a distraction.

Am looking forward to having a few more guitars however - I have 3 more electrics locked away in a storage unit - just awaiting various security upgrades to the place, which start today with decent locks, to kill that unit off and get them in. The acoustic in the pic is a mate's. I swapped him that for my PA speakers which he was keen to test out in a gig or two, just on a loan basis.

I may hit GF up to post some effects pedals up though. Or I have my piano here - perhaps I can just actually learn to play that better...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

@Armistice there's no reason you can't record with a laptop, even a shit one. Reaper isn't exactly a resource heavy program.