Time for another "show us your home studio" thread!

General recording topics.
CrowsofFritz

Re: Time for another "show us your home studio" thread!

Post by CrowsofFritz »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:40 pm @CrowsofFritz Nice little nook man. As an Aside, i love that finish work i have seen so far. :like: how old is this place?
1920s I believe.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Guys. Painting is the worst!

I spent the last few weeks getting everything in the live room on casters so it could be easily moved for cleaning, etc. Monday and tuesday, I cleaned the walls, patched holes, and caulked the gaps along the floor line.

Wednesday, it took me 4 hours to prime the walls and trim.
primer.jpg
Yesterday, it took almost 4 hours of a gallon of paint to put the first coat of color on the walls
paint1.jpg
It's probably another 2 hours to do a second coat on the walls, plus at least 6 hours to paint the trim and then another few to poly the trim that will be getting kicked and scuffed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Painting is the easiest part of painting. the prep work that goes into painting is the worst.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or are the walls in that room clad in just boards? No drywall or plaster?

What do you mean "poly the trim" ?
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

It's "wood" paneling; you can see it better in the first post. That's why the first coat of paint took so long. I had to run the brush down each of those lines to fill them in. Second coat should hopefully go faster. (Primer took so long because there's so much trim in that room: baseboards, that middle trim at normal ceiling height, and the top.

"Poly the trim" as in a coat of clear polyurethane to protect the paint on the baseboards and door frames (and anywhere else where people and objects are likely to bump it.

I slacked on the prep-work, honestly. Since the floor is garbage linoleum, I'm just letting it get dripped on. We'll wanna replace all that before we move anyway. When I actually paint the trim in a week or so, putting up painter's tape will be real annoying.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:25 pm It's "wood" paneling; you can see it better in the first post. That's why the first coat of paint took so long. I had to run the brush down each of those lines to fill them in. Second coat should hopefully go faster. (Primer took so long because there's so much trim in that room: baseboards, that middle trim at normal ceiling height, and the top.

"Poly the trim" as in a coat of clear polyurethane to protect the paint on the baseboards and door frames (and anywhere else where people and objects are likely to bump it.

I slacked on the prep-work, honestly. Since the floor is garbage linoleum, I'm just letting it get dripped on. We'll wanna replace all that before we move anyway. When I actually paint the trim in a week or so, putting up painter's tape will be real annoying.
Ahh yes ok i see now. That grooved paneling is a bitch really. A real "no matter what you do it's a lot of work" type wall covering.

Ok i got ya. Re: the poly. :like:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Looking good Steve. Painting is simple work, but man it's a lot of effort! I got to the point where I stopped taping and tarping when I paint. If you start in a hidden corner, by the time you get to the parts of the trim you'll see, you'll probably be pretty darned good at making a clean line just with the brush. I absolutely hate painting trim though, I feel for ya.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:46 pm Looking good Steve. Painting is simple work, but man it's a lot of effort! I got to the point where I stopped taping and tarping when I paint. If you start in a hidden corner, by the time you get to the parts of the trim you'll see, you'll probably be pretty darned good at making a clean line just with the brush. I absolutely hate painting trim though, I feel for ya.
I had a long winded reply similar to this rE; using a sash brush, finding one's chi and just taking ones time, but i felt like it came off preachy and DIY holier than thou. However, i am the same [mention]Tadpui[/mention] I no longer tape anything but the ceilings and if the wife wants a two tone room. Like one accent wall a different color. I'll tape that so it is a clean sharp line. But by and large i use a really nice quality sash brush, hold my tongue just right and keep a bowl of damp shop towels handy for those times i get it on the trim or floor or whatever. An old crdit card behind the damp towel can really help with fixing blunders too.

But for all things holy don't ever by or use one of those paint edger straight edge things. useless and makes one hell of a mess.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I don't mind trim, actually. It's using a roller that I find frustrating (and taxing on my elbows). Tosh hates trim, so if we end up with a major painting project again, there's an obvious division of duties.

Unfortunately, there's too much resting tremor in my family and too much caffeine in my body specifically to risk free-hand painting
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

There are very few things about home repair/remodeling, if any, that I hate more than painting.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

What was I saying about taping andtrim not being so bad?
IMG_20201023_1231333.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:02 pm What was I saying about taping andtrim not being so bad?
IMG_20201023_1231333.jpg
YOU FUCKING MADMAN YOU DIDN"T TAPE THE CEILING!!!!!!!

Looks like it's textured anyways and that stuff is the bane of my existence.

Looks really nice though otherwsie dude!! nice facelift for sure!!!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Nah to both tape and texture on it, but eff the ceiling. If we decide to care, we'll paint the ceiling (and tape the trim)
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I've largely given up on taping too. Helps that the trim and the walls are the same colour at my place though... 😉
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Today is the last day in the old house. I’ll have some pictures of the studio when I get everything tidied up.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:01 pm Nah to both tape and texture on it, but eff the ceiling. If we decide to care, we'll paint the ceiling (and tape the trim)
Turns out that this decision was immediately second-guessed by the ladyfriend. Oh well. All the ceilings in the house will probably need a coat eventually.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Texture totally fucks up taping. I hate both.
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Sooooo much stuff :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Got my audio stuff set up. Now I just need to clean the rest. I’m sweating from doing all this.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Got it mostly cleaned. Gotta hang up pictures then I’m done! But here it is! My studio room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk