Lt Bob amp build - an alliance of superpowers

DIY Studio Stuff
Greg_L

Lt Bob amp build - an alliance of superpowers

Post by Greg_L »

In this single pic before your eyes you see the parts to another spectacular amp build project. [mention]Lt. Bob[/mention] will be getting himself a Greg-built Deluxe Reverb. :illdrinktothat:

This is, like my own build, A Weber 6A20 Deluxe Reverb kit as a head. We've been discussing an amp build for a while and now is the time to get it done.

He's opted for many visual upgrades and a few circuit upgrades. This thing will look and sound fucking killer when it's done. We don't have the headbox or speaker cab yet. They're being custom built as I type this. All I have is the chassis and piles of tiny parts to deal with. And we're still waiting for a few things like a couple more capacitors, a back-ordered power transformer, reverb tank bag, some wire, and I think that's about it.

As of right now the parts I do have on hand are all correct. I can start some basic assembly any minute now. Stay tuned!
Rebel Yell
JD01

Re: Lt Bob amp build - an alliance of superpowers

Post by JD01 »

Nice! Maybe Bob will finally film and record one of his shows for me when he rolls this out!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:23 pm Nice! Maybe Bob will finally film and record one of his shows for me when he rolls this out!
I've been to a few of his shows.

Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Excellent! I really enjoyed the last build. "Visual upgrades" - the mind boggles... :lollers:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:27 pm Excellent! I really enjoyed the last build. "Visual upgrades" - the mind boggles... :lollers:
Lol don't get too excited. It will be gorgeous, but not necessarily off the wall.

He's got some custom-picked visual things going on that IMO are gonna look incredible.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I look forward to the show.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:26 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:23 pm Nice! Maybe Bob will finally film and record one of his shows for me when he rolls this out!
I've been to a few of his shows.

where'd you get that pic of me?!!?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Nice work boys! GO Team!
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Go Greg you mean ...... I'm just the guy making ridiculous requests!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:16 pm Go Greg you mean ...... I'm just the guy making ridiculous requests!
Nah this thing's gonna rock!
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:20 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:16 pm Go Greg you mean ...... I'm just the guy making ridiculous requests!
Nah this thing's gonna rock!
It is ....... it's gonna be badass!

:punk: :jam: :metal:

TBH ( without giving anything away ) it was your idea about the knobs that completed the look and sent it to an even higher plane!

Without that it might have been a head scratcher but now ........ ¡Muy caliente!
muttley

Post by muttley »

Do you ship to the UK? I need a new amp in the workshop... :guitarhero:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:24 am Do you ship to the UK? I need a new amp in the workshop... :guitarhero:
I would happily ship to the UK if someone in the UK paid for it. :biggrin:
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Sweet! You'll be a boutique amp dealer in no time!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:32 am Sweet! You'll be a boutique amp dealer in no time!
I wouldn't mind doing this more often for some extra side money. I'd have to come up with some of my own designs. Unfortunately Fenders and Marshalls and Orange and Vox already exist.

And literally everything can be traced back to Fender amps. There were amps before the Fenders, but 50s tweed Fenders are pretty much ground zero for all guitar amps now.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

well ..... Ampegs were kinda their own design ..... but I'm not aware of much descending from them.
Hell, the 70's Ampegs used 7027A power tubes which no other amp I'm aware of used.
I actually have about 4 sets of them from when I was an Ampeg fanboi ...... I have 5 Ampeg amps although 2 are less than 20 years old ... but the others are early 70's and use the 7027A's
Insider tip ..... you can use a 6L6 in place of the 7027A if you have to

Ampegs basically don't distort (the old ones ) so they're an awesome pedal platform but weigh so much I can't lift them without the help of a crane.

I really like their Baxandall EQ though
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:08 pm well ..... Ampegs were kinda their own design ..... but I'm not aware of much descending from them.
Hell, the 70's Ampegs used 7027A power tubes which no other amp I'm aware of used.
I actually have about 4 sets of them from when I was an Ampeg fanboi ...... I have 5 Ampeg amps although 2 are less than 20 years old ... but the others are early 70's and use the 7027A's
Insider tip ..... you can use a 6L6 in place of the 7027A if you have to

Ampegs basically don't distort (the old ones ) so they're an awesome pedal platform but weigh so much I can't lift them without the help of a crane.

I really like their Baxandall EQ though
Yeah but it's still just tubes, they all work pretty much the same way, and you know none of it is really "their own design" though....unless you're talking about the original RCA tube circuit manual design. That is truly ground zero for tube amplification. 1935 I think? Somewhere around there.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:38 am
vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:32 am Sweet! You'll be a boutique amp dealer in no time!
I wouldn't mind doing this more often for some extra side money. I'd have to come up with some of my own designs. Unfortunately Fenders and Marshalls and Orange and Vox already exist.

And literally everything can be traced back to Fender amps. There were amps before the Fenders, but 50s tweed Fenders are pretty much ground zero for all guitar amps now.
Hey, make a tweaked Marshall circuit, make out that you have 9 month waiting list and charge 125 grand. You'll be a legend.
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Here's my Ampeg Reverberocket hiding behind a bunch of shit. Bought new somewhere between 1998 and 2000 I think. The years run together don't ya know. This is one of the finest amps I've ever owned. 50 really big watts, single 12, beautiful verb!

Probably not in a class with those 70's amps LT. is talking about, but I've sure got my moneys worth out of this one!

Pics are huge and fuzzy but, what the heck. Also don't know how to rotate them so...

IMG_1553.JPG
IMG_1552.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:33 pm
Hey, make a tweaked Marshall circuit, make out that you have 9 month waiting list and charge 125 grand. You'll be a legend.
Yeah I'll call it a "Bumble".

Really, what I should make is just a stock Marshall preamp circuit, and a stock Marshall tone stack, and a stock Marshall 100w power section, and sell it as the next greatest thing. People have become so enamored with crappy pedals and tiny crappy amps that a normal unmolested Marshall circuit would be like a breath of fresh air.
Rebel Yell