Lt Bob amp build - an alliance of superpowers

DIY Studio Stuff
Greg_L

Re: Lt Bob amp build - an alliance of superpowers

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:48 pm

Man this is more thna i have ever wanted to know dude. thanks for taking the time to explain it to us. I am glad it is here and i feel like this thread should really get stickied but i say that about all the threads in this particular part of the forum.
Did any of it make sense though? I know it's a lot but I tried to simplify it.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I thought it was a pretty good explanation ..... not as good as my velvet rope analogy but close.

:lollers:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:08 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:48 pm

Man this is more than i have ever wanted to know dude. thanks for taking the time to explain it to us. I am glad it is here and i feel like this thread should really get stickied but i say that about all the threads in this particular part of the forum.
Did any of it make sense though? I know it's a lot but I tried to simplify it.
Oh it did yes! It's still blowing my mind really.

Equally mind blowing that someone some where day dreamed all this shit up up and invented it. I think that is more what impresses me. All the science behind the whole thing. It's intimidating really. not unlike vehicle mechanics.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:42 pm

Equally mind blowing that someone some where day dreamed all this shit up up and invented it. I think that is more what impresses me. All the science behind the whole thing. It's intimidating really. not unlike vehicle mechanics.
Vehicle mechanics is way easier. :eep:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:53 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:42 pm

Vehicle mechanics is way easier. :eep:
HaHa I am sure it is actually. I'm pretty intimidated by both at this point.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Never be intimidated is what a super awesome sax player told me 30 years ago when I sat in with his band but sat down after a few numbers because he was so much better than me.
He got me back up instead and when I told him I found his skills intimidating he got worked up ..... "Never be intimidated!"
Never forgot that

There's nothing anyone else understands that you can't understand.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:16 pm There's nothing anyone else understands that you can't understand.
There are limitations to that statement. Have a conversation with one of those folks that thinks dinosaurs roamed around the same time as Jesus and "refutes the lies of evolution" :lollers2: :lollers2: :spacepalm:

No but seriously, i get what you are saying though entirely Lt. 100% you are correct in all that. Just takes a bit of confidence to get past the intimidation.

I actually have to embark on some mechanics. I gotta take my weed whacker apart this winter and find out why it is sputtering oil. I've looked at the engine schematics and while it all makes sense it is also very intimidating. I'm not a gear head and never really had much interest? But i also don't have the extra $$ laying around right now to pay someone to fix it. I have to just bite the bullet and do it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:43 pm

I actually have to embark on some mechanics. I gotta take my weed whacker apart this winter and find out why it is sputtering oil. I've looked at the engine schematics and while it all makes sense it is also very intimidating. I'm not a gear head and never really had much interest? But i also don't have the extra $$ laying around right now to pay someone to fix it. I have to just bite the bullet and do it.
Here's the secret to mechanical things - it's just nuts and bolts.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

weed whackers are a PIA for sure.
They work well for a year and then you start having problems starting them.

I have switched to a 'lectric whacker ..... press the button and whack away!!
No gas .... no oil ...... light ...... and you kinda don't mind just sticking it into tight spaces because it doesn't whack quite hard enough to damage things or itself.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:27 pm

weed whackers are a PIA for sure.
They work well for a year and then you start having problems starting them.

I have switched to a 'lectric whacker ..... press the button and whack away!!
No gas .... no oil ...... light ...... and you kinda don't mind just sticking it into tight spaces because it doesn't whack quite hard enough to damage things or itself.
That is awesome! that's like the 4th positive vote for electric lawn equipment I've gotten in about three weeks. Chances are good i will likely upgrade to electric at some point. The older guy across form got a cheap ryobi battery lawn mower and he loves it.

I'm not there yet. lol. this rig still starts up no problems. And every spring it's the same thing man. It comes out of hibernation flawlessly. Just this year i noticed a bit of sticky oil residue building up around the exhaust port and that general area. It may be perfectly normal, but i've been told there is likely an underlying issue. I'll get to the bottom of it.

I'll get my life issues out of the thread though haha. Thatsnk for the votes of confidence [mention]Lt. Bob[/mention] and [mention]Greg_L[/mention] it is just nuts and bolts.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:45 pm Just this year i noticed a bit of sticky oil residue building up around the exhaust port and that general area. It may be perfectly normal, but i've been told there is likely an underlying issue. I'll get to the bottom of it.
is it a 2-stroke?
Probably normal if it's a 2-stroke
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:45 pm

That is awesome! that's like the 4th positive vote for electric lawn equipment I've gotten in about three weeks. Chances are good i will likely upgrade to electric at some point. The older guy across form got a cheap ryobi battery lawn mower and he loves it.

I'm not there yet. lol. this rig still starts up no problems. And every spring it's the same thing man. It comes out of hibernation flawlessly. Just this year i noticed a bit of sticky oil residue building up around the exhaust port and that general area. It may be perfectly normal, but i've been told there is likely an underlying issue. I'll get to the bottom of it.

I'll get my life issues out of the thread though haha. Thatsnk for the votes of confidence @Lt. Bob and @Greg_L it is just nuts and bolts.
Well it's probably a two-stroke right? They burn oil so it's probably pretty natural for their to be an oily buildup around the exhaust. Unless it's running bad I would just clean it off and whack some weeds without thinking about it.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I gave away my four stroke mower a decade or more ago - after I'd ditched the petrol whacker.
I can't stand being smothered in the smell of burnt petroleum.
Both whipper snipper and lawn mover are electric cable types but the distances in my back yard aren't much beyond 10m.
I did have a "Flymo" for a while and it was GREAT except it required that the lawn be maintained..where as I'm inclined to let it get a bit long then attack it. Flymos don't cope with that. I gave the Flymo to my old man, along with the correct, LONG cable...he managed to blow it up post haste.
I was, despite the smell/smoke, reasonably happy to use a 2 stroke mower because I could work on it myself, they were powerful and the job was done quickly. 2 strokes motorbikes the same. I had no trouble swapping head gaskets etc on my Yamaha RD250. I wouldn't know where to look on by Yamaha Star. DON'T get me started on cheap Thailand chrome work on forks either.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Two strokes make great power because every stroke of the piston is a power stroke. Four strokes only have half the firing strokes.

But four strokes run cleaner and for larger engines two strokes are impractical.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:38 am Two strokes make great power because every stroke of the piston is a power stroke. Four strokes only have half the firing strokes.

But four strokes run cleaner and for larger engines two strokes are impractical.
all this applies to sex too
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:35 pm
I wouldn't know, I've never had sex with an engine.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

All my garden appliances at battery operated.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:23 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:35 pm
I haven't really been following this thread for a bit, but clicked to clear the unread comments flag.

Wut?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:40 am
Greg_L wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:23 pm

I haven't really been following this thread for a bit, but clicked to clear the unread comments flag.

Wut?
ya' never know where we're going ...... :lollers2:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Ok [mention]Lt. Bob[/mention] ...it's on it's way!
Rebel Yell