Re: Lt Bob amp build - an alliance of superpowers

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:55 pm:like:
So far so good? How's it holding up?
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Well I don't gig it but it is set up in my recording area and I turn it on and play thru it most nights ...... it's still purty and when I send people pics of it they ooh and ah.
I have it mic'd up but right now I have a couple of sax track requests that I'm spending time on so no git recording .... but I do play it pretty much nightly.
I'm selling most of my other amps so I likes the thing a lot.
I think I'm gonna like it best with no feedback but we'll see.
I have a friend on the coast and we talked last week about me taking it to his music room and getting to crank it so I'll do that soon.

And I'm gonna get a schedule of some friends gigs to go sit in with as soon as my truck runs for more than 3 days in a row.
Put $2200 in that thing the last 3 weeks .... it's back in now and they've had it since last wed .... replaced all the coil packs .... one injector ..... cylinder #3 keeps misfiring ........ hope they get it figured out sooner than later.

Hauling gear in wifey's Sonata is a gigantic pain if the ass so I'm not hauling anything anywhere that I'm not getting paid for.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:48 pm
Also I'm curious ...... do you have an opinion on the orange drops yet?
I can now say with certainty that I'm a believer that capacitors matter in an amp.

After doing yours with the Orange Drops and thinking it's better than mine with generics, I've done a few other cap swaps in my other amps. I put some Mallorys in my Plexi reissue and in my 2204 and I'll be damned...they sound better. Much better. All of the coupling caps got swapped out and the amps do indeed sound better.

And since I'm five amps into tweaking all my shit, my own Deluxe Bastard will be getting the Drops next and I'm replacing all of the non-power-supply metal film resistors with carbon comps. That should seal the deal.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:45 pm
I can now say with certainty that I'm a believer that capacitors matter in an amp.

After doing yours with the Orange Drops and thinking it's better than mine with generics, I've done a few other cap swaps in my other amps. I put some Mallorys in my Plexi reissue and in my 2204 and I'll be damned...they sound better. Much better. All of the coupling caps got swapped out and the amps do indeed sound better.

And since I'm five amps into tweaking all my shit, my own Deluxe Bastard will be getting the Drops next and I'm replacing all of the non-power-supply metal film resistors with carbon comps. That should seal the deal.
I've lost track of what you are building? Are you just retrofitting all your other amps with shit or was there some other thing you had on the go? Tender Assman rings a bell.

It shouldn't. But it does. :happytrees:
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:12 pm

I've lost track of what you are building? Are you just retrofitting all your other amps with shit or was there some other thing you had on the go? Tender Assman rings a bell.

It shouldn't. But it does. :happytrees:
Lol. Yes, the Tender Assman doth cometh. Not yet though. I'm still tweaking some details on that before I get to the nuts and bolts...and wires. That one will be straight from scratch - no kit - retrofitted into an existing chassis and combo cab. I gotta drill tube socket holes and build a board and make a faceplate and everything.

My current projects are just things I'm getting to now that my arm is working again. I should have done them before I hurt myself, but I was lazy. Being laid up refocused me and now that I'm able I'm repairing, maintaining, tweaking, making better all of my already existing amps.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:45 pm

cool .... I know my gRamp sounds better than other Deluxes I've played .... it has that rare quality of not having any bad sounds .... turn it on and it'll sound great wherever the knobs happen to be ... caps might be a big part of that.
I'm glad I did it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:46 pm
cool .... I know my gRamp sounds better than other Deluxes I've played .... it has that rare quality of not having any bad sounds .... turn it on and it'll sound great wherever the knobs happen to be ... caps might be a big part of that.
I'm glad I did it.
Yours really does have something special about it. It's miles better than the reissues. I imagine it's probably better than many originals too.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:49 pm
Yours really does have something special about it. It's miles better than the reissues. I imagine it's probably better than many originals too.
It's one of the very best amps I've ever had .... and I've had a lotta amps.

I like the 18 watt too but the one that just makes me 'ooooh' no matter what volume level or settings I have is the Deluxe .... and it's freakin' PURPLE!!!!

:lollers2:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:14 am
It's one of the very best amps I've ever had .... and I've had a lotta amps.

I like the 18 watt too but the one that just makes me 'ooooh' no matter what volume level or settings I have is the Deluxe .... and it's freakin' PURPLE!!!!

:lollers2:
Yeah I should have faked my own death and kept it for myself!
Rebel Yell