Miking a group of people

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
vomitHatSteve

Re: Miking a group of people

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Internet pundit whose schtick is telling young men super-basic tips about adulthood ("practice good hygiene" "clean your room"). he's one of the icons of the right-wing "manosphere"
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:38 am Internet pundit whose schtick is telling young men super-basic tips about adulthood ("practice good hygiene" "clean your room"). he's one of the icons of the right-wing "manosphere"
Okay so what does he have to do with a surfing podcast?
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:16 am Who the fuck is Jordan Peterson anyway?
He's an internet intellectual opinion monkey who stands on one side of a line society has drawn in the sand to divided people into groups to shit on when that individuals opinions do not align with the other side of the lines beach sand divide.

Meanwhile everyone else on the beach that wasn't at the line drawing doesn't give a shit and are still swimming, playing volleyball, boiling clams and having fun living life while the two other groups over at the line in the sand continue to bicker with each as if anyone actually gives a shit about their efforts.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Now, clean up your room! :biggrin:

I entered him into the conversation when you commented on the length of JD's podcast [mention]Greg_L[/mention] - there's a "thing" out on the net these days where various people who consider themselves intellectuals do really, really, really long podcasts and YouTube discussions - and he's a prime offender.

He has a voice somewhat like Kermit the Frog.

I don't think you'd be a fan. :lollers:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:18 pm Now, clean up your room! :biggrin:

I entered him into the conversation when you commented on the length of JD's podcast @Greg_L - there's a "thing" out on the net these days where various people who consider themselves intellectuals do really, really, really long podcasts and YouTube discussions - and he's a prime offender.

Lol. I really struggle with podcasts. I just can't get into any of them. I do like "My Favorite Murder"...well I used to, when they actually talked about murder. Now it's just two ladies gabbing at each other.

I thought about doing a podcast a while back because I'd be excellent at it, but damn, I just don't want to be podcast guy.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:58 am
Armistice wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:18 pm Now, clean up your room! :biggrin:

I entered him into the conversation when you commented on the length of JD's podcast @Greg_L - there's a "thing" out on the net these days where various people who consider themselves intellectuals do really, really, really long podcasts and YouTube discussions - and he's a prime offender.

Lol. I really struggle with podcasts. I just can't get into any of them. I do like "My Favorite Murder"...well I used to, when they actually talked about murder. Now it's just two ladies gabbing at each other.

I thought about doing a podcast a while back because I'd be excellent at it, but damn, I just don't want to be podcast guy.
Yeah, I wouldn't be able to do it either. I just hate listening to my own voice. My two mates who do it are both teachers, one of them is also an author and they both commetate on surf contests all the time.

They've had this idea a while and it appears to be gaining a bit of traction which is nice.

The longest episode we did ended up getting split in two cos it was over 3 hours long "surf travel disasters" various short interviews and emails from loads of people about all the shit that's gone wrong on surf trips.

We had to re-record some bits towards the end cos one of the presenters was so drunk by that point and could barely string a sentence together.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I've gotten roped into being a podcaster. On the one hand, chatting about music with some friends for a few hours is pretty fun.
On the other, I don't listen to our podcast. it might be good if we edited it, but we don't. Our target demographic (KISS fans) has terrible taste, and apparently they love the format.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I've been thinking about what I could talk about on a podcast that anyone might be interested in listening to. And I'm coming up with nothing.

Ooooh I know...intake valve closing points and exhaust flow scavenging in high rpm race engines. That would be thrilling!
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:07 pm I've been thinking about what I could talk about on a podcast that anyone might be interested in listening to. And I'm coming up with nothing.

Ooooh I know...intake valve closing points and exhaust flow scavenging in high rpm race engines. That would be thrilling!
[rocks] I wouldn't take that for granite [/rocks]

:drums:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:44 pm

Lol. Speaking of rocks....

[podcast]imagine small rocks being shaken around in a metal coffee can. Think of that sound. It's not uncommon to hear a sound similar to that coming from a gasoline engine, usually under acceleration. That sound is called "detonation". Detonation is the air/fuel mixture exploding on it's own before or after the spark plug lights it off. There are several factors that can cause this to happen, and none of it is good. Any uncontrolled burning of the air/fuel is real bad. Every little rattle you hear is your engine block ringing like a bell and your pistons dying.

Diesels on the other hand only run because of detonation. Diesel will explode on it's own under enough pressure. Diesel engines don't use spark plugs, they use ridiculous compression to pop off the air/diesel mix. Diesel engines are designed to work this way, and their parts are generally much more robust than gasoline engine parts. Detonation is good for diesels, and a death sentence for gasoline.[/podcast]
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:07 pm I've been thinking about what I could talk about on a podcast that anyone might be interested in listening to. And I'm coming up with nothing.
Maybe building amp kits? subset: where to run the heater wires and why?

Or how being a drumber translates and affects playing guitar?

Or the history of and differences between Marshalls.

Or getting good results from miking amps?

Or getting good mix sounds from guitar tracks?

Or the challenges of having a 2 legged dog?

Or "Do orange drop caps actually make a difference?" (info soon to be learned)

Or the history of Mosrites and why the new ones might be better players?

Or surf guitar and the proper reverb to accomplish it?

I'm actually just getting started but I have things to go do ....... :smiles:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:42 pm
Maybe building amp kits? subset: where to run the heater wires and why?

Or how being a drumber translates and affects playing guitar?

Or the history of and differences between Marshalls.

Or getting good results from miking amps?

Or getting good mix sounds from guitar tracks?

Or the challenges of having a 2 legged dog?

Or "Do orange drop caps actually make a difference?" (info soon to be learned)

Or the history of Mosrites and why the new ones might be better players?

Or surf guitar and the proper reverb to accomplish it?

I'm actually just getting started but I have things to go do ....... :smiles:
Lol no one wants to hear about any of that! :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:25 pm
Bubba wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:44 pm

Lol. Speaking of rocks....

[podcast]imagine small rocks being shaken around in a metal coffee can. Think of that sound. It's not uncommon to hear a sound similar to that coming from a gasoline engine, usually under acceleration. That sound is called "detonation". Detonation is the air/fuel mixture exploding on it's own before or after the spark plug lights it off. There are several factors that can cause this to happen, and none of it is good. Any uncontrolled burning of the air/fuel is real bad. Every little rattle you hear is your engine block ringing like a bell and your pistons dying.

Diesels on the other hand only run because of detonation. Diesel will explode on it's own under enough pressure. Diesel engines don't use spark plugs, they use ridiculous compression to pop off the air/diesel mix. Diesel engines are designed to work this way, and their parts are generally much more robust than gasoline engine parts. Detonation is good for diesels, and a death sentence for gasoline.[/podcast]
We call it "pinking". A very ghey name for a catastrophic process.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:59 pm

We call it "pinking". A very ghey name for a catastrophic process.
We call it "pinging"...similar.

"knocks and pings" is a phrase for a poorly running engine. Although a knock is far worse than a ping. Pings are bad and lead to damage, knocks mean the damage is already done.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

[mention]Greg_L[/mention] We have enough of a panel here at the rebels any number of us could easily do a half hour long podcast on anything and everything that sits under our roof currently. [mention]Lt. Bob[/mention] picked a shitload of them at random.

Some of the other podcasts out there make me shake my head that they have the following they do. I won't name names because i know this chap in real life and i know for a fact he is an unregistered lurker based only on really pointed things he mentions in conversation the few times we do chat out and about in the meatworld, but his podcast is a fucking dreadful guitar collector elite circle jerkery and apparently is doing ok with it. It's gaining traction. he's actually earning money just sitting there fanboying over PRS guitars and the "pros to playing a relic'd guitar live" Shit like that. just being an generally lame elitist cocksack.

I have thought a number of times it would be cool to do a recording rebels podcast because there is shit loads of knowledge here and honestly a lot of the characters here are quite colorful. But the logisitcs in getting something like that set up so we could do it as a group remotely is far beyond my level of making shit happen.

Plus it would be a good excuse to inject a lot of your guys songs into something. Modern radio play if you will.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:37 pm @Greg_L We have enough of a panel here at the rebels any number of us could easily do a half hour long podcast on anything and everything that sits under our roof currently. @Lt. Bob picked a shitload of them at random.

Some of the other podcasts out there make me shake my head that they have the following they do. I won't name names because i know this chap in real life and i know for a fact he is an unregistered lurker based only on really pointed things he mentions in conversation the few times we do chat out and about in the meatworld, but his podcast is a fucking dreadful guitar collector elite circle jerkery and apparently is doing ok with it. It's gaining traction. he's actually earning money just sitting there fanboying over PRS guitars and the "pros to playing a relic'd guitar live" Shit like that. just being an generally lame elitist cocksack.

I have thought a number of times it would be cool to do a recording rebels podcast because there is shit loads of knowledge here and honestly a lot of the characters here are quite colorful. But the logisitcs in getting something like that set up so we could do it as a group remotely is far beyond my level of making shit happen.

Plus it would be a good excuse to inject a lot of your guys songs into something. Modern radio play if you will.
I think it's the proliferation of youtube "experts" that have completely soured me on being part of that guru-wannabe community. It's just so watered down, especially in the guitar world. How many fucking guitar channels do there need to be? Why are people so eager to worship at the altar of regular dudes that just happen to make videos? Why on earth does anyone give a fuck what Phlilip McKnight thinks? Why the fuck do I even know his name? He's truly nothing. To me, podcasts are no different. They might even be worse because they require no video skills. I can't even begin to imagine the struggle to build an audience amongst the overwhelming amount of crap out there.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:55 pm
I think it's the proliferation of youtube "experts" that have completely soured me on being part of that guru-wannabe community. It's just so watered down, especially in the guitar world. How many fucking guitar channels do there need to be? Why are people so eager to worship at the altar of regular dudes that just happen to make videos? Why on earth does anyone give a fuck what Phlilip McKnight thinks? Why the fuck do I even know his name? He's truly nothing. To me, podcasts are no different. They might even be worse because they require no video skills. I can't even begin to imagine the struggle to build an audience amongst the overwhelming amount of crap out there.
Oh i hear you loud and clear and don't disagree. Guru Wanna be is a great way to put it too. :lollers2: :lollers2: that's how a good deal of them come off as. that smug Paul Davids guy keeps popping up on my feed time and time again and i can't fucking stand him. I cringe when i hear his voice pop up in the back ground of whatever i am doing. Who the actual fuck is Paul Davids and why the fuck does he think he is the leading authority on how to correctly play/do something. BARFFF

I was mostly just pointing out that the folks here could pull together better content than 99% of what is already out there if the knowledge was there to make it happen.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

we could archive some stuff from each of us and then someone could pull together a Rebels podcast.

Someone could be the interviewer and use recorded musings by each rebel concerning something they know about to put together a bunch of shows
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Recording challenge #7: 30 minute podcast pilot
:lollers:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:48 am Recording challenge #7: 30 minute podcast pilot
:lollers:
I am down with this.

Really though, it would be cool to bring [mention]liv_rong[/mention] in on a podcast. he just has that "wow" factor that is needed.