Miking a group of people

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
JD01

Miking a group of people

Post by JD01 »

As some of you know I've been producing a Podcast lately. Basically a series of interviews. Two presenters and a guest.

I've been doing this with a spaced pair of AKG C1000s mics and it's worked well. Enabling the contributors to remain about 2m apart.

However, we have a debate show coming up. Will be 5 speakers. Now I only have 4 condensers and 4 dynamics.

I don't fancy trying to capture 5 spaced out people in a crap room with a spaced pair.

I was gonna arrange the participants in a shallow V shape, almost a straight line. I don't trust random contributors to pay attention to mic technique so I was gonna stick a condenser in front of each of them about a ft away. Then give the chairperson a dynamic.

What you think?
Lt. Bob

Re: Miking a group of people

Post by Lt. Bob »

I wonder if a mic and a small panel to be put together to make a boundary mic

Obviously you can buy them but with what you have, could the same effect be achieved?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:07 pm As some of you know I've been producing a Podcast lately.
Calling bullshit. No links provided. Post reported.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:36 pm

Do you really want to listen to a podcast where the participants debate about rocks?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:45 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:36 pm

Do you really want to listen to a podcast where the participants debate about rocks?
It's a surf podcast!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:46 pm
It's a surf podcast!
The music or the water activity?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Water activity!

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/EruYDBZTH5g[/BBvideo]
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:47 pm Water activity!

An hour and a half? Is there surf music in there somewhere?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:24 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:47 pm Water activity!

An hour and a half? Is there surf music in there somewhere?
90s Californian punk. Intro and outro.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I hear Jordan Peterson is recovering well - he might like to be one of your panellists - he's good for long podcast sittings.

But to your suggestion, given what you have, that's probably what I'd be doing. Give the dynamic to the person who's going to pay the most attention to what he's doing.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:30 pm I hear Jordan Peterson is recovering well
That's a pity.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:30 pm But to your suggestion, given what you have, that's probably what I'd be doing. Give the dynamic to the person who's going to pay the most attention to what he's doing.
Cheers, I have given it some thought. But one of you may well know something I don't
rayc

Post by rayc »

Put a live wire on the condensers so that when they try to touch it they get zapped. i LOATHE the way everyone & his mouse knows exactly where they mic should be for their own needs.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:30 pm I hear Jordan Peterson is recovering well -
Was he unwell?
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:11 pm

Was he unwell?
He was unrecovered. Now he's recovering well.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:30 pm I hear Jordan Peterson is recovering well -
Was he unwell?
Yes, apparently he almost succumbed to a benzo dependency gained whilst caring for his extremely sick wife.

I didn't actually know who he was until relatively recently, when I heard him being shouted out as the devil incarnate ultra right wing fascistic arsehole - so always wanting to see for myself, I hunted down some of his stuff and had a listen to see what all the fuss was about. It absolutely wasn't what I was expecting. Now he doesn't like the left all that much, but that aside I don't see what everyone is getting into a twist about. It's pretty mild. Not all that much there to be outraged about. Telling people to stand straight, take responsibility for their own lives, pursue what is meaningful rather than what is expedient and that sort of self-helpy stuff isn't the Hitlerian rantings I was led to expect.

Of course every now and then he comes up in my suggested YouTube feed as a result .. :lollers: Our Google Overlords will have the wrong impression about me, I'm sure.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

If you've got a pair of the same mics, this might be a good application for an ORTF setup. Set it out a ways in front of the panel of speakers and just get a stereo capture. Room reverb would be a problem though...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:28 pm

Was he unwell?
Yes, apparently he almost succumbed to a benzo dependency gained whilst caring for his extremely sick wife.

I didn't actually know who he was until relatively recently, when I heard him being shouted out as the devil incarnate ultra right wing fascistic arsehole - so always wanting to see for myself, I hunted down some of his stuff and had a listen to see what all the fuss was about. It absolutely wasn't what I was expecting. Now he doesn't like the left all that much, but that aside I don't see what everyone is getting into a twist about. It's pretty mild. Not all that much there to be outraged about. Telling people to stand straight, take responsibility for their own lives, pursue what is meaningful rather than what is expedient and that sort of self-helpy stuff isn't the Hitlerian rantings I was led to expect.

Of course every now and then he comes up in my suggested YouTube feed as a result .. :lollers: Our Google Overlords will have the wrong impression about me, I'm sure.
What annoys me about him is that when someone disagrees with him he bogs every discussion down into needless semantic technicality... Not so much cos it's relevant, just to disguise the fact he's talking shit.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Jordan Peterson uses "offend" in many and varied ways...mainly to support himself.
He complains about moral posturing while posturing with his own advertisement for new morals, (the Jordan Peterson moral code).
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Who the fuck is Jordan Peterson anyway?
Rebel Yell