Avantone CR-14 - Three birds with one stone

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
paulman

Avantone CR-14 - Three birds with one stone

Post by paulman »

So I ordered this last night, should be here tomorrow: http://www.avantonepro.com/cr-14.php

I was looking for something to record horns, and this is supposed to be great for that as well as guitar cabinets and acoustics. It's a ribbon mic for only $259, and it gets great reviews. I already love Avantone, as the CV-12 is my vocal mic.

I'm on vacation for the week, so I'm going to be doing lots of recording, including at least one (hopefully two) songs with horns. If all goes well, I will have solved my live acoustic/vocal problem, my cabinet miking issues, and have something that records horns really well without harshness, all for under $300. I'll report back after I try it out.

EDIT: Here's the test track with the CR-14 tracking my friend Alex on trumpet.
Last edited by paulman on Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Bob

Re: Avantone CR-14 - Three birds with one stone

Post by Lt. Bob »

you play horns?
Or you just have friends that do ...... besides me I mean
paulman

Post by paulman »

Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:20 pm you play horns?
Or you just have friends that do ...... besides me I mean
Friends. I played trumpet in high school and college, but not anymore. I played a trumpet about two weeks ago and I lasted about two minutes before my lips went numb and I couldn't get anything approaching a proper tone anymore. Basically my experience just helps me know how to work with horn players, and I use some of the same principles of warming up for trumpet when I warm up for singing.

I've got a good friend I was in the Army band with who plays trumpet. He plays in Latin and jazz bands, so he knows a lot of horn players. That's where I get my supply. :smiles:
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Cool. I'd be very interested to hear the results if you do a "mic shootout" with all your mics on the horn(s). A couple years ago I had a small trumpet part I wanted in one of my songs, and my teenage son happens to play the trumpet, so I asked him if he'd play it. He agreed to play.

But the twist was that I did a shootout of sorts with some of the mics I had available at the time, and I was surprised that the one that sounded the best (from among an SM57, a Blue Spark, and an E/V CO9) was the one I thought would sound the worst because it was the cheapest mic in the bunch. Which one "won"? The E/V CO9, which I picked up at Guitar Center a few years ago for about $40.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
paulman

Post by paulman »

SweetDan wrote: ↑Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:49 pm Cool. I'd be very interested to hear the results if you do a "mic shootout" with all your mics on the horn(s). A couple years ago I had a small trumpet part I wanted in one of my songs, and my teenage son happens to play the trumpet, so I asked him if he'd play it. He agreed to play.

But the twist was that I did a shootout of sorts with some of the mics I had available at the time, and I was surprised that the one that sounded the best (from among an SM57, a Blue Spark, and an E/V CO9) was the one I thought would sound the worst because it was the cheapest mic in the bunch. Which one "won"? The E/V CO9, which I picked up at Guitar Center a few years ago for about $40.
How did the SM57 do?

I can only record two tracks at a time, so I can only set up two mics at once. I will do my best to do a shootout between the 57 and both Avantone mics, but I don't want to waste anybody's time. I feel lucky just to get these guys over to my house to record. I bribe them with food and weed. :biggrin:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I've been curious about that mic (and a couple of Avantone's other mics as well). Definitely let us know how it turns out!

I've pretty much given up recording my guitar amps with anything other than a ribbon mic. For the kinds of tones that I'm after, I just really enjoy the mellow high end of a ribbon on an amplifier. Someday I'm hoping to step into the Royer family but damn they're expensive. For now, my ultra-dark FatHeads are doing an admirable job.

They're also great for hand percussion, drum overheads, drum room mics, backing vocals, bass vocals, bass amps, or anything that you want to sit back in the mix. I'm becoming more and more of a ribbon fan all the time lately.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

paulman wrote: ↑Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:35 pm
SweetDan wrote: ↑Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:49 pm ...A couple years ago I had a small trumpet part I wanted in one of my songs, and my teenage son happens to play the trumpet, so I asked him if he'd play it. He agreed to play.

But the twist was that I did a shootout of sorts with some of the mics I had available at the time, and I was surprised that the one that sounded the best (from among an SM57, a Blue Spark, and an E/V CO9) was the one I thought would sound the worst because it was the cheapest mic in the bunch. Which one "won"? The E/V CO9...
How did the SM57 do? ...
I don't remember exactly why I preferred the E/V CO9; maybe I can dig up that project in my DAW and export some trumpet licks from each mic.

The tune as it ended up linked below. My son played the solo on verse 3 and the outro.
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

SweetDan wrote: ↑Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:49 pm Cool. I'd be very interested to hear the results if you do a "mic shootout" with all your mics on the horn(s). A couple years ago I had a small trumpet part I wanted in one of my songs, and my teenage son happens to play the trumpet, so I asked him if he'd play it. He agreed to play.

I have a couple of those ..... they're great mics
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I play trumpet at about that same level. (i.e. one of my projects will require trumpet, and I'll practice just enough to pull off the takes then put the instrument in the closet for months)

I've generally used SM-58s for recording it. I feel like trumpets are pretty forgiving at the level I can play. It's a loud, brassy, distorted instrument. Much like over-driven guitars, you can point a mic at it and usually be 90% of the way there. Unlike guitars, it's much more of a backing instrument, so 90% is good enough.
Case in point: this is as good as my trumpet needs to be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd8sn-qsYoA or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74iljBKUs-g

I'd still love to see a shootout tho. How much does a decent mic differ from a cheap dynamic?
paulman

Post by paulman »

Okay, I did a test recording of a trumpet with the new mic. I also had the 57 set up right next to it, so later on I'll post dry shootout tracks from this. This mix I'm posting now is with just the Avantone mic. It's not dry, I mixed it as if it were a real track. I wanted to see how good I could make it sound in a full mix. The other instruments are just a MIDI backing track from the internet, probably made with BIAB.

This is my friend Alex on trumpet. He's been focusing on learning guitar for the last few months and hasn't been playing trumpet at all (of course not having any gigs during the apocalypse doesn't help either), so this kind of kicked his ass a little bit. But it got him excited about practicing trumpet again, and I'm going to record an album for him. When he knocks the rust off, he's a badass.

SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Google Drive's not happy with us (or me) apparently; I need to "Request access" to get to your audio clips [mention]paulman[/mention].
paulman

Post by paulman »

SweetDan wrote: ↑Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:36 pm Google Drive's not happy with us (or me) apparently; I need to "Request access" to get to your audio clips @paulman.
I think I have it fixed now. Sorry!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Wow that actually sounds really good to me. It's dark, but I think it fits the tone of the arrangement. Now that I'm farther along and he's laying into it a bit more, the trumpet is really balanced nicely against the tone of the mic. Sounds like a classic trumpet tone to me, I think it'd work in a mix or as a solo.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

paulman wrote: ↑Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:40 pm
SweetDan wrote: ↑Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:36 pm Google Drive's not happy with us (or me) apparently; I need to "Request access" to get to your audio clips @paulman.

Cool. Sounds really good!

I've created a mic-shootout-style thread over here with trumpet recording clips I made a while back.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

That trumped does sound good.

The piano is a placeholder, right?
paulman

Post by paulman »

Tadpui wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:18 am Wow that actually sounds really good to me. It's dark, but I think it fits the tone of the arrangement. Now that I'm farther along and he's laying into it a bit more, the trumpet is really balanced nicely against the tone of the mic. Sounds like a classic trumpet tone to me, I think it'd work in a mix or as a solo.
Yeah, I EQ'd it to make it darker. The mic is brighter than that naturally, but not nearly as bright as the 57. I was going to post the comparison tracks tonight, but work ran really long so I'm probably not going to do shit but smoke a bowl, eat my Popeye's, and go to bed.
paulman

Post by paulman »

SweetDan wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:39 am
paulman wrote: ↑Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:40 pm

Cool. Sounds really good!

I've created a mic-shootout-style thread over here with trumpet recording clips I made a while back.
Cool, I will check your thread out. Hopefully before I pass out tonight. :smiles:
paulman

Post by paulman »

vomitHatSteve wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:54 am That trumped does sound good.

The piano is a placeholder, right?
It would be a placeholder, if I were doing anything with the track. It really was just a fun way of test recording trumpet, nothing more than that. I will be doing some recordings like that with him, though, so I will at some point be posting mixes like this that start with BIAB arrangements that I replace with real parts. I can't play jazz piano or upright bass though, so it'll be guitar comping and... well, I don't know about the bass yet. We do have one of the top college jazz programs in the U.S. here in Jacksonville, so maybe I can find a bass player. Or just do it myself if I decide I can settle for electric bass.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

paulman wrote: ↑Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:54 pm Okay, I did a test recording of a trumpet with the new mic. I also had the 57 set up right next to it, so later on I'll post dry shootout tracks from this. This mix I'm posting now is with just the Avantone mic. It's not dry, I mixed it as if it were a real track. I wanted to see how good I could make it sound in a full mix. The other instruments are just a MIDI backing track from the internet, probably made with BIAB.

This is my friend Alex on trumpet. He's been focusing on learning guitar for the last few months and hasn't been playing trumpet at all (of course not having any gigs during the apocalypse doesn't help either), so this kind of kicked his ass a little bit. But it got him excited about practicing trumpet again, and I'm going to record an album for him. When he knocks the rust off, he's a badass.

Man i think this sounds fantastic. I am not a huge fan of shrill bright horns. I grew up listening and playing with a lot of ska bands and i have heard some pretty unlistenable demos and records in those days because of the horns and the way they were captured.

What you have here in my opinion is damn near perfect to my ears.
:happytrees: