SWITCH/SELECTOR replacement.

DIY Studio Stuff
rayc

SWITCH/SELECTOR replacement.

Post by rayc »

Hello Folks,
My little Squire Mustang has begun to live up to it's off brand tag: the pickup selector switch is faulty. For a week the bridge pick up would drop out if the switch was bumped and now it drops out if i strum hard. The selector switch wasn't rock solid in the 1st instance but I had hoped it'd be good for a while.
I know the switch is one of the 1st things on the list of common upgrades for Squires.
Should I buy a replacement from Fender or is something else good enough, or better, for the guitar?
I've a problem with my Teleclone selector, (five way). As it was only $80 delivered, I thought I'd change that one, knowing it's very different, 1st to warm to the Squire task.
Thoughts?
Cheers
rayc
CeeBee

Re: SWITCH/SELECTOR replacement.

Post by CeeBee »

Stewmac have that sort of thing and the quality is good
Cheers
Chris
my music
rayc

Post by rayc »

CeeBee wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:08 am Stewmac have that sort of thing and the quality is good
Thanks Chris, I'd read about them and seen some vids.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:09 am Hello Folks,
My little Squire Mustang has begun to live up to it's off brand tag: the pickup selector switch is faulty. For a week the bridge pick up would drop out if the switch was bumped and now it drops out if i strum hard. The selector switch wasn't rock solid in the 1st instance but I had hoped it'd be good for a while.
I know the switch is one of the 1st things on the list of common upgrades for Squires.
Should I buy a replacement from Fender or is something else good enough, or better, for the guitar?
I've a problem with my Teleclone selector, (five way). As it was only $80 delivered, I thought I'd change that one, knowing it's very different, 1st to warm to the Squire task.
Thoughts?
What kind of switch is it? Toggle?
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Never mind, just googled it.

That's just a basic toggle. There's not much to those things. You could just clean it and maybe re-tension the tangs that make contact. You wouldn't even need to solder anything.

Remove the strings, unscrew the pickguard and see if you can gently flip it over without disturbing any wires. The pickups will stay connected to the pickguard. If you can't flip the pickguard just unscrew the toggle switch nut and let it fall through the pickguard. Move the pickguard over out of the way and now you've got the switch totally exposed but still connected. See if any wires are loose or poorly connected. If that's all good, just get some emery cloth or fine sandpaper, flip the switch to one side, and gently clean the contacts on the opposite side. You'll see how the switch works when you have it exposed. Flip the toggle to one side, it pushes against contacts on the other side to close them and make connection. Gently scrub between the contacts on each side of the switch, make sure the tension in the contacts is good so they make good contact, and then put it back together. Should work fine.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Thanks Greg,
Toggle for the Squire & I'll give that a go.
Cheers
rayc