Reference cans

General recording topics.
JD01

Reference cans

Post by JD01 »

My AKG K701s have just died for the last time.
Might replace them with another pair or a pair of K702s.

My preference is for open back, I want them for detailed listening.

Budget is about 100-150 quid.
JD01

Re: Reference cans

Post by JD01 »

Fuck it. Found a decent deal on 702s
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Total pivot, but what's the advantage of open back cans?

I get especially confused when people use open backs to track. It's like they want bleed!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:43 am Total pivot, but what's the advantage of open back cans?

I get especially confused when people use open backs to track. It's like they want bleed!
I use open backs .... for pure listening I prefer them.

And for tracking vocals you can hear enough from outside to not need to take one earpiece off which is common with closed back phones.

Bleeding is a non-issue AFAIC ...... I've never had enough bleed to matter.
Unless you're running your cans stupid loud I don't see how it could be an issue unless you're one of these guys that solos the track, cranks it up and can hear anything and find that unacceptable.

Certainly your recording and your rules and if the slightest bleed drives you crazy then you have that right.
But I've never used anything but open-air ever, and I do pretty good recordings and there's never been a single time that I ever noticed any substantial bleed.

I like Sennheiser 650's BTW
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:43 am Total pivot, but what's the advantage of open back cans?

I like open backs for detailed listening, mixing etc. I find they give a much more accurate representation, particularly of the low end. I find closed cans really accentuate the low end.

I use closed back for tracking... not to prevent bleed especially, more so I can block out the loudness of the amp cos I'm generally standing right next to it! So closed backs kind of act like an ear defender and also enable me to hear the mix well over the noise of what I'm playing.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Almost none. Sometimes they can be more comfortable for long periods because they don't clamp to your head. But that's about it as far as I'm concerned.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I have Audio Technica ATH M70 Xs, which I bought on the recommendation of the local audio shop. Closed.

I hate them. Everything sounds awful - which probably means they're doing what they're supposed to, seeing everything I do starts out sounding awful anwyay. 😄 I could never use them for actual listening to music, but that's not really what they're for.

They are very good for editing and tracking, however - they keep the accompaniment out of the mic - at least for vocals and acoustic guitar.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I am very paranoid about bleed, Lt. Even if I know it's not enough to make it into the mix, I find it very distracting. (And I do sometimes work with vocalists that need a ton of themselves in their cans)

I guess for the boosted low end, I'm used to it, so all my references have the same boost.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

as I said, your recordings .... your rules ...... I'm never trying to convince someone to change ..... I'm always just stating my personal preferences.

But music and recording is such a personal thing and the person doing it has to do it the way that works for them.
That's the reason you never see me nit-picking about others recordings ...... there's a lot of different ways to do things so who am I to suggest my way is THE way?

So I only comment on things that are grossly bad ..... that rarely happens here.
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:44 am I am very paranoid about bleed, Lt. Even if I know it's not enough to make it into the mix, I find it very distracting. (And I do sometimes work with vocalists that need a ton of themselves in their cans)

I guess for the boosted low end, I'm used to it, so all my references have the same boost.
I've tracked a lot of singers that want their cans painfully loud so they can "get into it" like it's a live performance. Open-back headphones just won't work at all in that situation.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

As far as I understand it, open-backed headphones have a more "natural" bass response compared to closed-backed. At least that's the going advice I see over and over. I've actually never owned a pair of open-back cans, all of mine are closed back since I only use them for tracking. It seems that each pair of my headphones has its own unique way of making the low end unlistenable. I'd be curious to try a pair of open backs, just to hear if there's a difference.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:59 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:44 am I am very paranoid about bleed, Lt. Even if I know it's not enough to make it into the mix, I find it very distracting. (And I do sometimes work with vocalists that need a ton of themselves in their cans)

I've tracked a lot of singers that want their cans painfully loud so they can "get into it" like it's a live performance. Open-back headphones just won't work at all in that situation.
As I'm listening back through various Jongs tracks I'm finding bleed on vocal tracks that I'd consider unacceptable today. Mainly his - I didn't worry too much about it at the time but in hindsight I should have said "no" to request for more volume in the cans when he was singing. 😦
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:08 pm As far as I understand it, open-backed headphones have a more "natural" bass response compared to closed-backed. At least that's the going advice I see over and over. I've actually never owned a pair of open-back cans, all of mine are closed back since I only use them for tracking. It seems that each pair of my headphones has its own unique way of making the low end unlistenable. I'd be curious to try a pair of open backs, just to hear if there's a difference.
open backs are closer to what you'd hear on speakers and they lose some of that 'in the head' feeling you get with closed backs.

My Sennheiser 650's thru my Headroom headphone amp with the crossfeed engaged sound almost identical to listening to my studio monitors
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:59 pm as I said, your recordings .... your rules ...... I'm never trying to convince someone to change ..... I'm always just stating my personal preferences.
Absolutely. I wasn't reading it as you trying to convince me to change.
greg_l[ I've tracked a lot of singers that want their cans painfully loud so they can "get into it" like it's a live performance. Open-back headphones just won't work at all in that situation. [/quote wrote: It's just not the same without hearing loss!