BOGO Mic Cables at Sweetwater

General recording topics.
Tadpui

BOGO Mic Cables at Sweetwater

Post by Tadpui »

Sweetwater's Gear Fest was this weekend, and they're having a sale to accompany it. The best deal that I've seen is that they're offering buy-one-get-one free on ProCo Excellines 20' XLR mic cables.

This is actually my preferred studio mic cable, so I jumped on it and bought a couple in order to get a couple more for free. I got a call from them today...there was a bug on the website and it messed up how the orders for the BOGO were entered into the system. They'd just charged me for one cable, and somehow were going to send me 3. I explained my intent, and a fourth cable is on the way now. The only invoice that I see on my account is for one cable, so I think I got a buy one get 3 free deal :)

It looks like the price for one of these cables is marked up a bit, but well worth it for 2 20-footers if you need another couple of mic cables in your studio.
paulman

Re: BOGO Mic Cables at Sweetwater

Post by paulman »

I keep meaning to look into whether making your own mic cables is as easy as making instrument cables. I refuse to pay what they charge for decent cables, and I'd like to be able to refuse to pay for mic cables too.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Making your own mic cables is indeed as easy as instrument cables.
For many, many years I have never bought cables.
You can flat-out do this!

However last year I gave up and bought about $700 worth of cables ..... various brands but all good ones.
tax deductible since it's for gigging.
So I have enough cables to last 'till I'm dead.

I made sure to only get cables with lifetime guarantees so I'll have something to gripe about when they inevitably don't honor it.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I don't mind buying good mic cables.

But the cables behind my rack (50+ of them), I'd probably assemble them myself if I had it to do over again. I'm using all Monoprice Premiere Series behind my rack, and I'm actually not sure if I'd save any money if I'd bought bulk cable and 100+ connectors. These cables come out to about $7.50 apiece for good shielding, excellent connectors, and a pleasant overall feel (they don't retain bends from being folded at the factory, they lay where I put them, etc).

Actually I just did some quick math, and it was actually cheaper to buy the Monoprice cables instead of buying 2 spools of Mogami cables and over 100 Neutrik connectors. Factor in the cost of my time, and it's not even close!

Anyways, these ProCo Excellines are very good cables. I like everything about them. And buy-one-get-one is a great deal!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I get the cheap ones from Thomann. 6m cables are about 8 quid delivered.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I have so many broken Musician's Gear cables.

I suspect I will continue to acquire them at a rate of several a year.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I mostly buy Guitar Center's live wire cables. Lifetime warranty no matter what. Since there's a GC 5 minutes from me, I pretty regularly take in a handful of my older-but-still-good cables and just trade them in for new ones.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

[mention]Lt. Bob[/mention] [mention]Greg_L[/mention]

That's actually a great point about the lifetime guarantee. That's great that you can buy it once and never again, as long as your determination holds out. I had to dig deep on Monoprice's website, but they do warrant cables for life. I've had only 1 of their cables go bad on me, so I should ask them for a replacement. It's just a 3' TRS cable, probably not worth the hassle to exchange it.

[mention]vomitHatSteve[/mention] I think I've bought my last pieces of anything from Musician's Gear, On-Stage Stands, Neewer, etc. It's always so tempting to buy that stuff because it's so much cheaper than the alternatives. And I keep falling for it! And every time, I tell myself "never again". Then I need a patch cable or a clamp or a battery or some other random accessory and these brands come up at the top of the search results and I fall for it all over again. I think I need an intervention :)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:18 pm @Lt. Bob @Greg_L

That's actually a great point about the lifetime guarantee. That's great that you can buy it once and never again, as long as your determination holds out. I had to dig deep on Monoprice's website, but they do warrant cables for life. I've had only 1 of their cables go bad on me, so I should ask them for a replacement. It's just a 3' TRS cable, probably not worth the hassle to exchange it.
Being a part-time gigger playing loud fast punk rock at rowdy places, guitar cables get stepped on. Speaker cables get yanked around. It's mostly stuff like that that I always change out for free. And if I'm making a stop in a GC anyway for something else, they gonna be swapping out a bunch of cables for me. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:11 pm
Tadpui wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:18 pm Lt. Bob Greg_L

Being a part-time gigger playing loud fast punk rock at rowdy places, guitar cables get stepped on. Speaker cables get yanked around. It's mostly stuff like that that I always change out for free. And if I'm making a stop in a GC anyway for something else, they gonna be swapping out a bunch of cables for me. :coolstorybro:
Yeah, my buddy Reuben that I play with a lot gets some sorta lifetime cables at his local store and every once in a while takes the bad ones and replaces them for free.
That's a good way to go.

I don't have a local store so on-line is moi.

Ya'll always see me really recommend stuff from Guitar Fetish and I really do like their stuff ..... WAY better than the prices suggests.

However ... DO NOT BUY THEIR CABLES!!!!!!

lol ..... they fail in a month of gigging ... even their better ones.

I'm currently rocking Roland RIC-G cables ..... really luxurious looking/feeling cables.
And I absolutely love these little 5 footers ...... way useful at home or gigging for what I set up.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... lsrc=aw.ds
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:18 pm
@vomitHatSteve I think I've bought my last pieces of anything from Musician's Gear, On-Stage Stands, Neewer, etc. It's always so tempting to buy that stuff because it's so much cheaper than the alternatives. And I keep falling for it! And every time, I tell myself "never again". Then I need a patch cable or a clamp or a battery or some other random accessory and these brands come up at the top of the search results and I fall for it all over again. I think I need an intervention :)
I'm weirdly in a place where I'm trying to sell some musician's gear stuff!
I bought a 10 pack of guitar stands years ago, and now I'm trying to trade them out for wall-mounted. They outlasted their usefulness