Baritone

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Baritone

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:27 pm My issue with 5 (and 6) strings has always been that if the neck is narrow enough for my stumpy fingers, the strings are too close together to play comfortably and precisely.

On the other hand, I never use the G string. So my solution is to buy 5 string sets and put the B-E-A-D on my 4 string. Of the 5 basses I have, only the upright still has a G.
That said, my playing style is very 90s punk, and I use a pick. So I'm probably a bad example for aspiring 5-string players!
That's a good idea... if I get a baritone guitar I'll just get another squire 4 string and string it B to D. It's not like I'm gonna need a high G string I'm playing in Drop A!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:34 pm once again THE big thing about a 5 string is not the lower notes .... it's being able to play low E on a fifth fret.

You guys aren't bass players per se I know, but being able to play low E on a fifth fret is reason enough to use a 5 string
TBH, the reason I switched to drop-tuning was because of church bands. There are a ton of G to D transitions in that genre, and I got real tired of walking down to the D and then octave jumping or having to turn my walk into a sprint to go up instead.

I play the 5th fret E when it's comfortable to the pattern that I'm on, but low notes were the primary impetus. (That said, I rarely go below the D. I probably could have gotten away with a drop D tuning)
JD wrote:if I get a baritone guitar I'll just get another squire 4 string and string it B to D. It's not like I'm gonna need a high G string I'm playing in Drop A!
Yep! That could absolutely be your solution.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:34 pm once again THE big thing about a 5 string is not the lower notes .... it's being able to play low E on a fifth fret.

You guys aren't bass players per se I know, but being able to play low E on a fifth fret is reason enough to use a 5 string
I pulled out my 5 string today...finally...and used it with your comments, suggestions and observations in mind. I must say it makes HEAPS more sense to my playing brain now.
Cheers
rayc