SUCCESS: JH-1 Fixed

DIY Studio Stuff
rayc

SUCCESS: JH-1 Fixed

Post by rayc »

Hello Folks,
I've had a Dunlop Jimi Hendrix JH-1 Wha pedal since the late 80s. My wife bought it for me.
It's been unused for a few years as it developed a squeak and other noises.
I watched a few Utub vids about dealing with the problem but most were beyond my skill level as they required soldering.
Yesterday I decided to TRY to "clean" the pot having bought some spray cleaner.
The pot is a sealed one so I had to get the back from it by bending four pins/flaps...that took a while as I had left it connected.
Back off, I sprayed the interior & rotated everything a dozen times or more then put it all together again.
Hooked up downstairs the noise was gone BUT the sweep was in reverse!
I'd put the back on rotated 180 degrees from correct...in my defence there were no obvious markings to line up etc.
I undid everything and placed the back on again in what i hoped was the correct position. Clips/tabs bent back and sealed.
Amazingly the whole process worked.
The Wah, at least in the 1st test, worked smoothly and with no extraneous noise.
I don't DIY often but this was a boost to my confidence.
The AUS$24 cleaner/lube and some time saved me having the pot replaced by someone who'd have charged almost the cost of a new Wah.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Re: SUCCESS: JH-1 Fixed

Post by Greg_L »

:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Nice work ray!!!
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Nice victory Ray! I only have fuzzy memories of the Hendrix wah. What was the distinction on that one?
rayc

Post by rayc »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:57 am Nice victory Ray! I only have fuzzy memories of the Hendrix wah. What was the distinction on that one?
I don't know too much about it really...I've had it for decades - the missus bought it for me. I did by a Morley wah at one stage but discovered the one I had was way better and sold the new one for the price I paid.
Here's a video about the model...
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo[/BBvideo]
They go for AUS$211 + postage on Reverb for a beaten up one. Mine's near pristine.

Here's the thing...
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0148.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

rayc wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:38 am I don't know too much about it really...I've had it for decades - the missus bought it for me. I did by a Morley wah at one stage but discovered the one I had was way better and sold the new one for the price I paid.
Here's a video about the model...
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo[/BBvideo]
They go for AUS$211 + postage on Reverb for a beaten up one. Mine's near pristine.

Here's the thing...
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0148.JPG
Interesting. It does have a fatter sound. Although I can't quite decipher what the Reverb guys mean when they say "lower frequency attenuation". It doesn't sound like the lows are attenuated. it actually sounds like the lows are being let through regardless of the pedal position. I think it sounds pretty sweet, honestly. Glad that you got yours back up and running!