Simulating mic bleed.

General recording topics.
JD01

Simulating mic bleed.

Post by JD01 »

As some of you know I've been producing a Podcast with some friends lately.

Ok, were generally all in different places, recording Zoom chats. Although we've done a few bits sitting in the garden, two guys speaking into two mics. The bleed between the mics really makes the conversation feel livelier.

Can anyone thing of a clever way or simulating this?
SweetDan

Re: Simulating mic bleed.

Post by SweetDan »

Not quite the same, but I once read a blog post on how to simulate room mics with judicious use of delay - https://blog.presonus.com/index.php/201 ... tudio-one/
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I'd think of two ways to do it:
1) create a reverb impulse of the room you want to simulate and apply some of that to ever track
II) stereo delay and eq
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:52 am I'd think of two ways to do it:
1) create a reverb impulse of the room you want to simulate and apply some of that to ever track
II) stereo delay and eq
I tried an impulse. Just sounded like they all had a bit of echo. I'll try stereo delay. Interesting idea.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Maybe try multiple impulses?

Now that I think of it, the most accurate way to simulate mic bleed from a band in the room is to impulse every instrument's relationship to every other one:
Figure out where each instrument would be in a band setup. Place one of the mics. Go to each other instrument's location. Clap; build an impulse from it. Apply that impulse to that instrument.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

As Steve said first off, I would pick a short, room-sized reverb - most reverb vsts have a drum room preset or similar - and stick all the voices in it. I think the key is to keep the effect very, very low. Even if you were all in the same room together, most of you would be fairly close-miked.
Haggard Musician :mad: