CHEERS BIG EARS

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
rayc

CHEERS BIG EARS

Post by rayc »

Hello folk,
My ears aren't great: tinnitus and some loss on one side make me cautious about balance and I doubt my mixing so post to get better ears involved amongst other things.
In BIAB land there are some decent writers n players but ears over there seem worse than mine.
I chap posted a three way collaboration with EZDrummer involved. That's so he can tweak the kit better than with the BIAB stereo file.
I listened and commented on the kick drum and he responded that he couldn't hear it - no one else commented on the matter but he believed me.
That made me doubt my hearing again.
Is my hearing hyped in some spots due to the masking in others? I don't know, I should probably get it tested.
Drums?
If you have a chance, please listen to the 1st 30 seconds or so to allow the kick to come in.
To me I hear lots of thwack/beater noise. It was clickier before but the bloke fiddled with that aspect after my comment.
Does the kick drum sound odd for the genre? What do you hear?
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Re: CHEERS BIG EARS

Post by Greg_L »

I think it sounds ok. It might be slightly verging on getting too clicky for the song, but it's okay as it is. Sounds like a pretty good kick sample to me.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

sounds good to moi
rayc

Post by rayc »

I wish I'd grabbed it when it was 1st up but then the link would've gone to the new one anyway.
The 1st had no bottom end to the kick and was just the batter w click. The gent added bottom end after I commented.
OK, I think this one sounds WAY better than the original but still too clicky for me...must be my ears.
I'll be more accepting of click from now.
Cheers
rayc
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

[mention]rayc[/mention] It must be the tinnitus Ray :lollers: . The kick has a sharpish attack to my tinnitus ears as well. It is not unpleasant, so if you hadn't mentioned it I probably wouldn't have been listening for it. Probably EZ Drmmer thing, different drum samples sound different. It doesn't distract from the song so it's not worth changing.
Cheers
Chris
my music
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Doesn't sound too clicky on my cans. Maybe a little clickier than normal for the genre, but only barely.
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

It could be a result of the compression for streaming.

BTW When I saw the heading of the thread I thought it was Prince Charles' birthday :lollers2:
Cheers
Chris
my music
rayc

Post by rayc »

CeeBee wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:01 pm It could be a result of the compression for streaming.

BTW When I saw the heading of the thread I thought it was Prince Charles' birthday :lollers2:
Last weekend was, in my state of NSW, the Queen's Birthday Long Weekend.
Wingnut Chicka didn't get a mention though our own wingnut, former PM Tony Abbott, and one of his worst, most partisan colleagues, received Queen's Birthday Honours which, in their unworthiness and clear badges for the mates clarity, rendered all other recipients null.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I got no issues with the kick on this. There is a bit of a thwack beater attack but nothing that really ruins the mix at all.
:happytrees: