Gut and refurb old ss combo

DIY Studio Stuff
Lt. Bob

Re: Gut and refurb old ss combo

Post by Lt. Bob »

I would 100% have a light show in that opening behind some patterned Plexiglas, kinda like a color organ from the 80's.

At least an erie green glow ..... or bliue to go with the motif
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:12 pm I would 100% have a light show in that opening behind some patterned Plexiglas, kinda like a color organ from the 80's.

At least an erie green glow ..... or bliue to go with the motif
Yeah a blue glow might be pretty good. :coolstorybro:

So I've found the tolex. A chunky blue sparkle. My original grill cloth plan is now moot though. For one, it's not a combo anymore. And for two...that black/blue weave I found a while back doesn't exist anymore. :headwall: :headwall: :headwall:

Since the front panel will now be pretty tiny, and with the possibility of there being lighting back there, and with the whole thing being a pretty dark blue, I think need to use a lighter color for the front panel. Maybe like a Silverface style grill cloth. It's also gonna have piping around the front panel insert. Fuck I don't know now. :confused:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Hold the phone....new idea... :lollers2:

Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:03 pm Hold the phone....new idea... :lollers2:

Win!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah the blue cheetah is happening. The Assman will be a pimp.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

HA!
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

:like:

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

This thing sounds bad ass. I'm recording my pre-60s challenge with it.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Okay lots happening over the past few days...

I got the super-pimp blue cheetah fur!

Now that it's a head, I need to make a back door for it. Making the cleats...

Now for the back panel....

The back panel is a good place to start testing how I'm gonna stick this stuff...

Since this cheetah print is a pattern I wanna try to use one continuous piece and only have one seam. It's a bitch.

This is the start and end point, centered, straight, and even.

I'm using brush on contact cement on the cab, and spray for the fabric. They gotta dry about ten minutes before making contact, and then they're joined damn near forever, so you gotta be quick to make corrections as you're laying it down.

I didn't bother with taking pics during the process because I was in a good rhythm so here's the end result.

So yeah it looks pretty fucking awesome and I'm quite pleased with myself. I also made a solid front panel similar to the rear panel but it fits a little too tight with the fur and will definitely be too tight with the piping so I need to trim it down about a quarter inch or so. And then I'll install hardware like feet and corner protectors.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Mate, that looks fucking great.
Gonna be cool to see it all finished with the amp in it.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Blue Cheetah Tender Assman.
Very specific.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

There's almost a novelty about it, but damn it looks sharp!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Ha ha thanks guys. There is a novelty about it, for sure. I mean...it's blue cheetah fur. It's called a "Tender Assman". It's gaudy. The whole thing is completely ridiculous. :lollers2:

I can't wait to take it out live.

But what's not ridiculous is that it it's one-of-a-kind and it works awesomely. And I BUILT IT from top to bottom. That's a schematically-correct 6G6B Bassman under that blue fur. I'll toot all of my own horns. I overcame a lot of shit to make this thing happen. :coolstorybro:

It's 100% together now. I'll do some final glamour shots and a video walk-around tomorrow.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

That's just awesome looking man!

I'm blown away
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have to admit that, to me, it looks hideous but in an in your face, "Gonna say something about ware ya?", sort of way.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I won't be able to take you seriously if you don't get you a pair of these creepers for the first live gig with the new Tender Assman.

In all seriousness good job man. this is a whole new level of DIY ethics that deserves a round of applause. I hope it can only yeild the satisfaction of a job well done when on stage or jamming. I hope ot see it pop up in some live pics.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:01 pm I won't be able to take you seriously if you don't get you a pair of these creepers for the first live gig with the new Tender Assman.
Well I do currently own and sometimes wear these:

In all seriousness good job man. this is a whole new level of DIY ethics that deserves a round of applause. I hope it can only yeild the satisfaction of a job well done when on stage or jamming. I hope ot see it pop up in some live pics.
Thanks. This was more of a personal pet project more than something that will get tons of use. It's not exactly the right sound for 90% of what I do. But I am involved in a dark dumb gothy psychobilly surf deathrock thing that this amp is PERFECT for and it will see tons of use with that project for sure.

I'm also toying with the idea of putting together a high-octane surf-punk instrumental thing, so it would get used for that too.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:25 pm Well I do currently own and sometimes wear these:
those only partially count. -5 cool kid points for not having the giant 4 inch thick frankenstien soles.
Greg_L wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:25 pm Thanks. This was more of a personal pet project more than something that will get tons of use. It's not exactly the right sound for 90% of what I do. But I am involved in a dark dumb gothy psychobilly surf deathrock thing that this amp is PERFECT for and it will see tons of use with that project for sure.

I'm also toying with the idea of putting together a high-octane surf-punk instrumental thing, so it would get used for that too.
I am sure it'll be badass no matter what capacity it gets put to use in. either of those things will be on my list of things to check out.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:34 pm
those only partially count. -5 cool kid points for not having the giant 4 inch thick frankenstien soles.
Those super thick creepers are for ladies and club kids. I am neither. :sherlock:
Greg_L wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:25 pm
I am sure it'll be badass no matter what capacity it gets put to use in. either of those things will be on my list of things to check out.
I'm doing my pre-60 challenge with it and writing an instrumental it's sounding really cool. :guitarhero:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:48 pm Those super thick creepers are for ladies and club kids. I am neither.
It's 2022, mate. You can be a lady.