Gut and refurb old ss combo

DIY Studio Stuff
Greg_L

Re: Gut and refurb old ss combo

Post by Greg_L »

You know what kind of sucks about this? It's finished. In a weird way that actually kind of sucks. Don't get me wrong...I'm super happy with it. I'm happy with myself. I have a wonderful feeling of pride and accomplishment. I brought the beautiful Tender Assman to life with my own mind and bare hands. But there's not really anything else to do with it, but play the shit out of it. And it will get played, but the thinking and figuring and work of it is done. This thing has occupied a good chunk of my thought process for a while now and now that's gone. I bet this is probably exactly what postpartum depression is like. :lollers2:

Anyway, there is a next one. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

It's probably not a million miles from "post-release depression" either... you put all this mass of effort over months and years into putting a new album out, and it, once again, fails to set the music world on fire - partly because you're not really the sales and marketing type and partly because even if you were it probably wouldn't make a difference - and you feel a bit deflated for a year or so, until you start the cycle again because the world needs more music and you're still cocky enough to think you're making a useful contribution ... and what else do you do with your creative energy?

My life in a paragraph. :lollers:

At least you have the Assman and you'll play it, and there are always more amps to be built.

It's the journey, not the destination, as the saying goes. :like:

Even though what you've been doing I understand technically at only a high level, I've really enjoyed watching it come together and am amazed at the stuff you know how to do. :wink:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:59 am It's probably not a million miles from "post-release depression" either... you put all this mass of effort over months and years into putting a new album out, and it, once again, fails to set the music world on fire - partly because you're not really the sales and marketing type and partly because even if you were it probably wouldn't make a difference - and you feel a bit deflated for a year or so, until you start the cycle again because the world needs more music and you're still cocky enough to think you're making a useful contribution ... and what else do you do with your creative energy?

My life in a paragraph. :lollers:

At least you have the Assman and you'll play it, and there are always more amps to be built.

It's the journey, not the destination, as the saying goes. :like:

Even though what you've been doing I understand technically at only a high level, I've really enjoyed watching it come together and am amazed at the stuff you know how to do. :wink:
Thanks. Yeah it totally is the journey. The final result is great for sure, but getting there is challenging and fun and when the result is a good result that's amazing. I know there are guys that can build these things in their sleep. I'm not there yet so the whole thing is still fresh and new for me. I've been doing a lot of repairs for people too. I'm stopping short of actually trying to make a little business out of it though. I'm definitely not good enough for that and I'd hate for it to become "a job". I'm happy to do it for local guys I know though. They pay me but I charge much less than a real amp tech with the very clear understanding up front that I'm just a hack. :lollers2:

I'm thinking about cabs for the Assman. Build one? Buy one and recover it in the blue cheetah fur? Repurpose something else? Don't know yet. But I like Boob's idea of the Assman having a matching gaudy blue fur cab.

And I've already started compiling parts for the next amp build. It should be a breeze compared to this one. I'm excited for it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, just build one. It's just a box of wood, should he a breeze compared to the amp. I wonder if that blue cheetah print would would work as grill cloth.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:53 am Yeah, just build one. It's just a box of wood, should he a breeze compared to the amp. I wonder if that blue cheetah print would would work as grill cloth.
I don't think it'd be good as a grill cloth. I considered it already. It's pretty dense. You can't see through it and it's tough to blow through it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:17 am
JD01 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:53 am Yeah, just build one. It's just a box of wood, should he a breeze compared to the amp. I wonder if that blue cheetah print would would work as grill cloth.
I don't think it'd be good as a grill cloth. I considered it already. It's pretty dense. You can't see through it and it's tough to blow through it.
Fair enough, you could take it right up to the edge of the speaker holes though so the front panel of the cab is cheetah print with piping around the edges.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:06 am
Fair enough, you could take it right up to the edge of the speaker holes though so the front panel of the cab is cheetah print with piping around the edges.
That's true. I could have the whole baffle cheetah fur and then just have round grill cloth holes for the speaker openings.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:32 am
JD01 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 5:06 am
That's true. I could have the whole baffle cheetah fur and then just have round grill cloth holes for the speaker openings.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Cheetah the whole of the baffle, then stick the grill cloth on the back of the baffle before attaching the speaker.

Bonus points if you can get hideously colour clashing pink grill cloth.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:35 am
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Cheetah the whole of the baffle, then stick the grill cloth on the back of the baffle before attaching the speaker.

Bonus points if you can get hideously colour clashing pink grill cloth.
I ordered a generic blue mesh grill cloth for the Assman's front panel, but it was too stretchy and too blue and didn't really look good with the lighter cheetah blue. There aren't too many options for unique grill cloths outside of the standard Marshall/Fender/Ampeg stuff that has existed for decades. And if you go into different textiles for their great looks then you get into stuff that isn't really appropriate for being a speaker grill cloth.

At this point, since my original choice of the blue/black weave is nonexistent I'm thinking a standard Fender Silverface style grill cloth would look pretty good with it and also obviously function properly as a grill cloth.

Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:05 am There aren't too many options for unique grill cloths outside of the standard Marshall/Fender/Ampeg stuff that has existed for decades. And if you go into different textiles for their great looks then you get into stuff that isn't really appropriate for being a speaker grill cloth.

At this point, since my original choice of the blue/black weave is nonexistent I'm thinking a standard Fender Silverface style grill cloth would look pretty good with it and also obviously function properly as a grill cloth.

look for places that have parts for vintage radio restorations
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:55 am look for places that have parts for vintage radio restorations
That's a good idea and I already have. I've looked at old furniture restoration upholstery too. Most of that old radio stuff is tans and browns and floral prints. :crazy:

That won't work with the Assman.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:19 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:55 am look for places that have parts for vintage radio restorations
That's a good idea and I already have. I've looked at old furniture restoration upholstery too. Most of that old radio stuff is tans and browns and floral prints. :crazy:

That won't work with the Assman.
no .... the Assman needs an assitude!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:20 pm no .... the Assman needs an assitude!
The Assman also needs some kind of cover. On his very first outing it fucking monsooned and I had to run through the rain with him in a trash bag. :lollers2:

My Marshalls get wet with rain, beer, spit, blood and sweat all the time. No problem. The Assman, though strong and powerful, shouldn't be getting exposed to moisture. That's the Tender part of his personality.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:25 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:20 pm no .... the Assman needs an assitude!
The Assman also needs some kind of cover. On his very first outing it fucking monsooned and I had to run through the rain with him in a trash bag. :lollers2:

My Marshalls get wet with rain, beer, spit, blood and sweat all the time. No problem. The Assman, though strong and powerful, shouldn't be getting exposed to moisture. That's the Tender part of his personality.
You'll thank me later:
Custom Amp Covers, inc.
248-650-2509

That's where I got awesomely good covers for the gRamp, B.O.B and the speaker cab.
Not too expensive either though I'm sure prices have gone up.

I ended up getting the Tuki covers which are padded but they also make traditional unpadded covers.
But man, the Tukis are really nice.

Andrew Wodnicki is who I dealt with and flat out I would use them again.

In fact when I get my new big pedalboard done I'll have them make a cover for it.
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Sat May 07, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 12:32 pm
You'll thank me later:
Custom Amp Covers, inc.
248-650-2509

That's where I got awesomely good covers for the gRamp, B.O.B and the speaker cab.
Not too expensive either though I'm sure prices have gone up.

I ended up getting the Tuki covers which are padded but they also make traditional unpadded covers

Andrew Wodnicki is who I dealt with and flat out I would use them again.

In fact when I get my new big pedalboard done I'll have them make a cover for it.
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

Thanks Boob!
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

sure thing ..... I imagine getting that velour wet would be a bad thing
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Damn I found a 2x12 for sale locally that might be a perfect candidate for this thing. Fingers crossed.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Assman getting a lot of work in lately. And he's working great!

Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

What cab is that?