Post by CrowsofFritz »

Warning: cursed images below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: I need a desk...

Post by WhiskeyJack »

That has got to be the most millennial-ist rig i have ever personally laid eyes on.

Ikea? for the industrious gentleman on a budget?

There are some cool desks you can whip up out of pallets too. Internet is full of ideas.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, just build one.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Thing is, I can make this setup look really cool with a desk. I might save up for one.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

JD01

Post by JD01 »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:48 pm Thing is, I can make this setup look really cool with a desk. I might save up for one.
Seriously, just build one. It won't be that hard.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

[mention]CrowsofFritz[/mention]

This is the desk i made. I didn't really have plans. I just kind of knew what i wanted and went from there. Hindsight being 20/20 though. I should have planned the little storage spots to be spaced enough to put rackmount stuff on. I am idiot. I didn't own any rack mountable gear at the time so it wasn't even a shadow of fore thought at the time. not long after i got my room together the 18i20 went on a mega sale and i picked up. that's when i discovered it didn't fit. :lollers2: :lollers2:

The desk you have picked out is also great as well. nothing wrong with that if that is the route you decide to go. :like: :like: Something to work towards.
heatmiser

Post by heatmiser »

[mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] - nice!

I made mine out of an old barn door and some scrap wood I found around the house:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Yeah dude, build one if you can. Or if you buy one dont spend $400 on one, spend it on other cool gear! I understand some people dont have access to tools or knowledge on how to build but if you do even a little you can built one for cheap. Mine was probably about $100 if I remember correctly. If you didnt see it, my desk is discussed starting at like 40 seconds in on this:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tvSTrB ... =emb_title[/BBvideo]
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

liv_rong wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:35 pm Yeah dude, build one if you can. Or if you buy one dont spend $400 on one, spend it on other cool gear! I understand some people dont have access to tools or knowledge on how to build but if you do even a little you can built one for cheap. Mine was probably about $100 if I remember correctly. If you didnt see it, my desk is discussed starting at like 40 seconds in on this:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tvSTrB ... =emb_title[/BBvideo]
Did you build the stands, too?
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:47 pm
liv_rong wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:35 pm Yeah dude, build one if you can. Or if you buy one dont spend $400 on one, spend it on other cool gear! I understand some people dont have access to tools or knowledge on how to build but if you do even a little you can built one for cheap. Mine was probably about $100 if I remember correctly. If you didnt see it, my desk is discussed starting at like 40 seconds in on this:

Did you build the stands, too?
Yup. The stands came a couple years after the desk. Just some 2x4’s and leftover pine tops, screws and glue. Had to notch out the counter too but easy work with the jig saw.
heatmiser

Post by heatmiser »

Super cool. Especially for $100! I particularly like the integrated monitor stands. :coolstorybro:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

When I was apartment shopping over a decade ago, I walked into this place, saw it had a 2.3m "media desk" and so I just had to buy the place. Before that I think I had a standard pine thing from IKEA which had a riser thingy on it which would have cost $50.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I use a metal frame desk that was out for council clean up. I added, from stuff in the garage, a printer stand and some CD shelves and the result works for me.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Y'all got fancy with your home built desks.

Mine's a stack of cinderblocks with some unfinished plywood and 2x4s
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:18 am Y'all got fancy with your home built desks.

It works pretty dam well i can only imagine.
paulman

Post by paulman »

I use a folding table from Walmart. $30 I think, maybe less. I'll build a desk when I buy a house.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I knitted my recording desk from discarded yak hair I picked up on the roadside - and if you knew how few yaks there are in Australia, you'd be seriously impressed... 😡
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Oh yeah? Well I’m going to make my desk from the bones of a dragon in Scandinavia and connect them with gold plated steel screws.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 1:27 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:18 am Y'all got fancy with your home built desks.

It works pretty dam well i can only imagine.
Sure does. Super stable L-shaped desk with a solid 8' on one leg and 6' on the other for <$100.

The betrothed is gonna make me pretty it up when she moves in tho.