Win!

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Armistice

Win!

Post by Armistice »

I sort of shelved recording in 2019 while I was doing renos of the apartment but I'm getting back into it now.

I track vocals in the lounge and I set up about 2m from the fridge which is in a nook, so I'd roll the fridge out onto the wooden floor and switch it off at the wall behind it. It marked the floor a bit but I was always going to get the floor redone so I didn't bother too much about the damage.

But now I have redone the floor and got a new fridge that's not on wheels I have a problem. How to get to the switch at the back without damaging the floor by dragging it out... obvious thing to do is just cut the whole circuit off completely at the board but then I was thinking, I'll bet the studio, just around the corner, is on the same power circuit, which, given the general layout of the place, would be logical - and I'd never really looked at the circuit board so I figured there were probably only a couple of power circuits in the entire apartment. :mad2:

But, as it turns out, there are 4 separate power circuits, a light circuit and an oven circuit, so the fridge is on a separate circuit ... and everything else in the main area appears to be on the same circuit, but the studio isn't, so looks like I'll be taking advantage of the relative peace and quiet and tracking some backing vocals this evening. :like:

Just will have to remember to turn the fridge back on later.... :lollers:
CrowsofFritz

Re: Win!

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Lol nice! How long will the fridge be off?
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

did you drink the beer before it got warm?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:21 pm Lol nice! How long will the fridge be off?
Only an hour or so... it'll be fine. Done it this way for years.

Ah, the tribulations of home recording. :lollers:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Wait, you have to move a refrigerator to track vocals?
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Run a short power cord or power board from the point behind to beside or on top then plug the fridge into that..you'll only need to pull the plug or flick the switch on the board then.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Not anymore.

I had (past tense) to move a small, wheeled fridge to turn it off so I could track vocals so I don't get fridge motor noise - because with bats, planes, dogs, birds, sirens, motorbikes, loud cars and apartment doors opening and shutting it's hard enough as it is to get a quiet environment in the lounge room, where I track vocals, 2m from said fridge... I'd just wheel it back into its nook while tracking, then wheel it out again and turn it on at the end then wheel it back. It was a very small fridge. Simples. :like:

And I can't move the new, small, non-wheeled fridge (even to run a lead/powerboard, which won't fit [mention]rayc[/mention] ) because it will scar the wood floor and I don't have to anyway because I can just flip the circuit breaker - that being the point of the "Win!" thread title. :like: :like:

No problem to be solved... see attached visual aid to assist with understanding. Mic, fridge, studio desk around corner.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Ah, I was thinking power board on the side of the house sort of thing. If you have easy access to the circuit the it is, indeed, a WIN.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Oh I see now. I was imagining you getting behind the fridge to sing like a little vocal booth. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Nice score Armi :)

I too had trouble visualizing how you were moving a fridge every time you wanted to sing into a live mic!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I thought you'd built some sort of vocal booth behind the fridge.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Yes, I probably wasn't clear that I was turning the fridge off because of the noise factor... :lollers: