Recording Challenge #5 (One Condensor Mic!)

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
JD01

Re: Recording Challenge #5 (One Condensor Mic!)

Post by JD01 »

[mention]musicturtle[/mention] I listened to this on your YouTube channel last night, but this is the first time I have a chance to listen in decent quality.

Brilliant vocal.
Really like the guitar tones - the verb on your palm mutes introduce a good percussive sound in the verse.
Hmmm, I wonder how many of us would have noticed that your kick and snare wasn't real until you pointed it out.

Listening to it critically, I'd say that you could adjust verb and panning on things to make it sound like a "better" mix, but this would actually ruin in. Its got a certain bleakness to it which I really like.

I really like this style of recording, it reminds me of Greg Sage quite a lot. Have a listen to Straight Ahead by Greg Sage and you'll see what I mean.
He was very much a DIY hardcore punk musician in the 80s and into the 90s. But he did a couple of really bleak solo albums that I really like.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Thanks [mention]JD01[/mention]

Yeah listening to Straight Ahead right now and I can definitely hear the similarities.

And yeah there are some things in the mix I might change to polish it up...but I like it the way it is as well.

Won't be doing too much with the "drum set" in the future. It drove my wife crazy. The "snare" or steamer pot was pretty loud and grating...had to some serious eq on it. It was fun though.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

SweetDan wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:00 am Pretty cool, @musicturtle.
musicturtle wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:24 pm Here is my drum set up for the song, a guitar case, two hanging pieces of cast iron and a steamer pot with a chain on top.

20200425_163024.jpg
I assume the screwdrivers were your drumsticks? lol

To me, it sounds like it's in the same family of sounds that @vomitHatSteve's puts in his tunes
Absolutely, that is the sort of thing I'd do! Ha ha!

Nice harmony work, Bob!

I'd planned on collecting a handful of new samples for my drums on this one, but clearly I'll really have to step up my game.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

musicturtle wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:36 am Thanks @JD01

Yeah listening to Straight Ahead right now and I can definitely hear the similarities.

And yeah there are some things in the mix I might change to polish it up...but I like it the way it is as well.

Won't be doing too much with the "drum set" in the future. It drove my wife crazy. The "snare" or steamer pot was pretty loud and grating...had to some serious eq on it. It was fun though.
It's a bleak album that. I like it.
heatmiser

Post by heatmiser »

[mention]CrowsofFritz[/mention] - Nice track! Sounds surprisingly like your usual stuff. Nice vocals and a great melody. I'm guessing this particular challenge wasn't really all that different for you.

Not wild about the percussive sound there though - sounds kind of like someone just tapping on the mic? Regardless - well done!
heatmiser

Post by heatmiser »

[mention]liv_rong[/mention] - That was really nice.Guitars and reverb in particular sounding pretty sweet. The cymbals had kind of a weird swishy quality to them at least through soundcloud, but overall I thought it sounded great. No obvious auditory issues with using the one mic on either of the two entries I've heard so far. Well done.
heatmiser

Post by heatmiser »

[mention]Lt. Bob[/mention] - Haha! Fun tune man. The improvised percussion sounded pretty slick on phones. I had fun trying to pick out the wine glass. Funny lyrics, and a nice, clean capture.

I do not believe I will be able to approach the level of quality displayed thus far.
heatmiser

Post by heatmiser »

[mention]musicturtle[/mention] Nice job! The singing on this is great. Did you strike the guitar case with one of the screwdrivers for the kick?

That sounds pretty nice for such a ghetto kit!

Great job so far everyone.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

heatmiser wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:35 pm @CrowsofFritz - Nice track! Sounds surprisingly like your usual stuff. Nice vocals and a great melody. I'm guessing this particular challenge wasn't really all that different for you.

Not wild about the percussive sound there though - sounds kind of like someone just tapping on the mic? Regardless - well done!
Yeah, it was pretty easy for me lol. If I can buy a single kick drum, that’s all I need for a lot of my stuff.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Thanks [mention]heatmiser[/mention]!

I actually used a foam ball to beat the guitar case. You can see it on the guitar case in the photo.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Lt Bob & musicturtle,
FABULOUS - not just the innovation/compensation but the performances. Thoroughly enjoy 'em.I'll have to dig back into the other stuff during the day.
I was particularly impressed with the percussion.
Oh, sax was just lovely. Lisa Simpson needs to hear it.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Good news, guys! With my new interface, I’ll finally be able to listen to your files! 😁
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

OK, I drug out the gear and recorded a take or two this afternoon, then spent some time attempting to mix. I'll need another few months to practice the drums if I want to take this further than a musical sketch (which I probably won't). Even so, it was fun to experiment with the single mic for all the parts.

(The music is a take on that youtube video "Heard It In The Daily Mail" someone posted on one of the other threads over here. If I do take this beyond the "musical sketch" phase, I may even attempt to sing it.)

hiitdm_soundcheck.mp3

Mic choice was a Behringer C-3. I chose that one from my small collection simply because it's the only one with multiple patterns (cardioid, omni, and figure-8); in comparing with my other condensor mics, it's the worst sounding of the bunch. (It's also super cheap!) But being that I wanted to attempt to capture the sound of the drum set by putting the mic in not-the-usual-places, I wanted to have the extra response patterns.

What I ended up choosing for the drums was the figure-8 pattern (cardioid for the guitars/bass), with the mic nestled between the kick and the snare, pointed so one "node" of the fig-8 was peeking over the rim of the snare, and the opposite node was pointed at the shell of the kick. Unfortunately, with one side peeking over the snare rim, I also captured way too much crash, and it's kind of a weird, phase-y sound at that; I'll have to place it more carefully if I ever use that technique again.

Overall, this was a pretty fun thing to try out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

SweetDan wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:28 am OK, I drug out the gear and recorded a take or two this afternoon, then spent some time attempting to mix. I'll need another few months to practice the drums if I want to take this further than a musical sketch (which I probably won't). Even so, it was fun to experiment with the single mic for all the parts.

(The music is a take on that youtube video "Heard It In The Daily Mail" someone posted on one of the other threads over here. If I do take this beyond the "musical sketch" phase, I may even attempt to sing it.)

hiitdm_soundcheck.mp3

Mic choice was a Behringer C-3. I chose that one from my small collection simply because it's the only one with multiple patterns (cardioid, omni, and figure-8); in comparing with my other condensor mics, it's the worst sounding of the bunch. (It's also super cheap!) But being that I wanted to attempt to capture the sound of the drum set by putting the mic in not-the-usual-places, I wanted to have the extra response patterns.

What I ended up choosing for the drums was the figure-8 pattern (cardioid for the guitars/bass), with the mic nestled between the kick and the snare, pointed so one "node" of the fig-8 was peeking over the rim of the snare, and the opposite node was pointed at the shell of the kick. Unfortunately, with one side peeking over the snare rim, I also captured way too much crash, and it's kind of a weird, phase-y sound at that; I'll have to place it more carefully if I ever use that technique again.

Not too bad. I don't think the figure-8 works for the kit like that. It does sound weird. The cymbals have this crash and bloom that sounds like both comb filtering and compression.

A lot of people experiment with using a single mic on drums from in front of the kit or some kind of way over the kit. That's all fine, but no one really ever tries a single mic behind the kit. Like low and behind the drummer. Or put one up next to your head looking down at the kit. I've had good single mic results miking behind me. Just make sure your throne and kick pedal aren't squeaky. A single mic behind you can get a nice kick thump and snare attack while keeping the cymbals under control.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

[mention]SweetDan[/mention] cool, dude! Drumming is coming along nicely, got a nice rhythm with your right hand(if you're right handed haha). Recording and mix is not bad, pretty dark sounding but that's probably that mic.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Thanks. [mention]liv_rong[/mention] - yes, right-handed. [mention]Greg_L[/mention] - I'll definitely try the "low & behind" mic placement, I've not tried that one yet.
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

SweetDan wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 4:28 am OK, I drug out the gear and recorded a take or two this afternoon, then spent some time attempting to mix. I'll need another few months to practice the drums if I want to take this further than a musical sketch (which I probably won't). Even so, it was fun to experiment with the single mic for all the parts.

hiitdm_soundcheck.mp3

Nice job [mention]sweetbeats[/mention]!

Love the guitar sound.

Snare sounds good too.

Yea the crash is really loud.

Fun stuff!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

[mention]SweetDan[/mention] I think that sounds great as a 1-mic recording. Guitars are nice and crunchy, drums actually sound full (and yeah, that crash is kinda out of control, but so what).
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Here's what I ended up with. The mic I picked was an AKG C414 XLS, since it's relatively neutral and is multi-pattern. All of the tracks are through my BAE 1073 preamp, since I've only got one of those and I could use it every time. And I pushed the preamp hard on just about everything.

I learned a lot about this mic in the process. Excellent on a bass amp, admirable on a drum kit. Terrible on electric guitars and "meh" on vocals. There is so much EQ happening in this project LOL. And obviously a lot of compression. Like, so much compression. And it shows. Sorry the song turned out kinda "screamo", but that's just where I'm at lately :redface:

I pretty much gave up redoing parts, despite some pitch and tempo issues. I'm just ready to move on to something else, so pardon the off notes and missed beats.
Battle Scar Gigantica-001.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Tadpui wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:08 pm Here's what I ended up with....
Cool. Bass, drums, and though you said it was only "meh" on vocals, I think they sound good here too.

I'm curious about how you set up for and recorded the drums, if you don't mind sharing.