Recording Challenge #5 (One Condensor Mic!)

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
heatmiser

Re: Recording Challenge #5 (One Condensor Mic!)

Post by heatmiser »

musicturtle wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:45 pm @heatmiser really nice.

Your vocals sound great. Really like the effects you have on the vocals.
Really? Aw thanks man. That's a surprise...usually they're the weak link. Dude on the original has the highest male singing voice I've heard shy of Michael Jackson, so this was arguably a stupid choice for me.

- Double tracked, lows rolled off, heavily compressed, lots of reverb with a longish predelay and a light phaser. Thanks again.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

heatmiser wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:04 pm
musicturtle wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:45 pm @heatmiser really nice.

Your vocals sound great. Really like the effects you have on the vocals.
Really? Aw thanks man. That's a surprise...usually they're the weak link. Dude on the original has the highest male singing voice I've heard shy of Michael Jackson, so this was arguably a stupid choice for me.

- Double tracked, lows rolled off, heavily compressed, lots of reverb with a longish predelay and a light phaser. Thanks again.
Ha, I am not familiar with this song or group for that matter. I will have to look it up.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

heatmiser wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:14 pm Ok, so here's my attempt.

To heighten the challenge I chose a behringer C-2 SDC (one half of a $60 matched pair of overheads lol).
I haven't used this mic in years - back when I had a drum kit, and I don't think I've ever used it for anything else.

I decided to do a cover since I didn't feel like writing a song (hope that's ok). This is "Yes, I'm Changing" by Tame Impala.

Results are mixed, but it was super fun to do, and I'm glad that this challenge got me motivated to try some new things.

Really good dude. Love that bass sound. Well done man and good to hear something from you again. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Always love to hear your stuff, [mention]heatmiser[/mention]

This is good!
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

[mention]heatmiser[/mention] these improvised drum kits are killing me, I love it! Both you and [mention]musicturtle[/mention] have made really passable drum sounds from unconventional sources. I'd have never come up with these, I'm impressed!
heatmiser

Post by heatmiser »

[mention]Greg_L[/mention] Thanks Greg! Glad you think it sounds good. Maybe SDC's are better for bass guitar than I thought? :lol:

[mention]CrowsofFritz[/mention] Thank you Crows! :coolstorybro:

Tadpui wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:15 pm @heatmiser these improvised drum kits are killing me, I love it! Both you and @musicturtle have made really passable drum sounds from unconventional sources. I'd have never come up with these, I'm impressed!
Haha! Thanks. It was kinda fun starting from scratch and adjusting the amount of pennies and stuff. I put more time into that than I care to admit. Works ok for a simple beat like this I think, but wouldn't really hold up where a bigger sound is required...although...if I used two mics...?
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

heatmiser wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:49 pm @Greg_L Thanks Greg! Glad you think it sounds good. Maybe SDC's are better for bass guitar than I thought? :lol:

@CrowsofFritz Thank you Crows! :coolstorybro:

Tadpui wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:15 pm @heatmiser these improvised drum kits are killing me, I love it! Both you and @musicturtle have made really passable drum sounds from unconventional sources. I'd have never come up with these, I'm impressed!
Haha! Thanks. It was kinda fun starting from scratch and adjusting the amount of pennies and stuff. I put more time into that than I care to admit. Works ok for a simple beat like this I think, but wouldn't really hold up where a bigger sound is required...although...if I used two mics...?
Yeah I said earlier in this thread, I spent hours in my garage finding the right sounds for my "drums" :lollers:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Another improvised Kit!!! That is so awesome [mention]heatmiser[/mention] Would have been a great idea for a challenge all on it's own. Improvised instruments and what not. Really good job man. I have no nits other than that i sort of lose your vocals a bit when the acoustics kick into gear. I wouldn't say it is worth going back and fussing with. just an observation. All around great effort dude!
:happytrees:
heatmiser

Post by heatmiser »

musicturtle wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:40 pmYeah I said earlier in this thread, I spent hours in my garage finding the right sounds for my "drums" :lollers:
That's right! You set the bar pretty high there. That was kind of inspiring. :)

[mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] Thank you! I think I agree about the acoustic guitars. I don't even think there are any guitars in the original, so not sure why I felt compelled to add them here. I think I was just trying to throw as many instruments as possible at this mic. :lol:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

heatmiser wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:19 pm
musicturtle wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:40 pmYeah I said earlier in this thread, I spent hours in my garage finding the right sounds for my "drums" :lollers:
That's right! You set the bar pretty high there. That was kind of inspiring. :)

@WhiskeyJack Thank you! I think I agree about the acoustic guitars. I don't even think there are any guitars in the original, so not sure why I felt compelled to add them here. I think I was just trying to throw as many instruments as possible at this mic. :lol:
All good man. I am not a big fan of carbon copy covers as it is. I like when people throw their own flavor into something and i think you did it some some solid work.

I may have to chuck a cover at this little challenge i don't have the gobs of free time i probably should for times like this. We shall see.
:happytrees:
heatmiser

Post by heatmiser »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:32 pmI may have to chuck a cover at this little challenge i don't have the gobs of free time i probably should for times like this. We shall see.
I seem to have the gobs if I can devote who knows how long to adding and removing pennies from atop an empty paint can.

I hope you get a chance to do this. It’s pretty fun.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, here's my attempt at the one mic recording challenge.

My mic is an AKG C1000S, so its a half decent condenser.

Reason for this mic choice is that I like the sound of it on my acoustic guitar so that meant I had to make it work on my electric guitar and bass too.
I'm guessing the mic was about 30 - 50cm off the front of my cab - I didn't really spend any time considering placement.
I just left the mic where it was an plugged my bass straight into my guitar amp to record the bass - I didn't bother fiddling with any settings.

Hand percussion is a shaky egg and tambourine from a child's percussion set.
Haven't written any lyrics, maybe I will at some point.
C1000S Only Mix.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

heatmiser wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:14 pm Ok, so here's my attempt.

To heighten the challenge I chose a behringer C-2 SDC (one half of a $60 matched pair of overheads lol).
I haven't used this mic in years - back when I had a drum kit, and I don't think I've ever used it for anything else.

I decided to do a cover since I didn't feel like writing a song (hope that's ok). This is "Yes, I'm Changing" by Tame Impala.

Results are mixed, but it was super fun to do, and I'm glad that this challenge got me motivated to try some new things.

Just got around to listening to this and I think its brilliant. As others have said, I love the bass sound, its really unique and suits what you've done here.
Good job on the vocals to.

Great improvised drums!
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

JD01 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:43 am OK, here's my attempt at the one mic recording challenge.

My mic is an AKG C1000S, so its a half decent condenser.

Reason for this mic choice is that I like the sound of it on my acoustic guitar so that meant I had to make it work on my electric guitar and bass too.
I'm guessing the mic was about 30 - 50cm off the front of my cab - I didn't really spend any time considering placement.
I just left the mic where it was an plugged my bass straight into my guitar amp to record the bass - I didn't bother fiddling with any settings.

Hand percussion is a shaky egg and tambourine from a child's percussion set.
Haven't written any lyrics, maybe I will at some point.

C1000S Only Mix.mp3
Everything sits well. Nice job!
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers, mate. Although my improvised percussion is a lot less impressive than Tony's or Heatmiser's

EDIT: Just listened to this mix again. I hate it. The hand percussion is awful. It sounds like a combination of white noise and the oldest dustiest record imaginable.

I have a version handy without hand-percussion on it and I much prefer it.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Heat,
it sounds like Tame Impala but I don't like Tame Impala - I tried, I bought the debut album but it's a nah from me. Your 1 mic job of them is pretty good though.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

James,
That's pretty cool 1 mic jobbie. I kept think that I'd like to hear it in mono - don't know why. The percussion is OK but I think I'd like to heari t without it.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

SweetDan,
you captured the chugging nicely though the hard panning doesn't really sit well with the mono drums in my headphones. Nice tones though.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Tad,
despite the occasional tempo thing the song & sounds are good, really good. Well done.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Liv_rong,
Nice - the most naturally stereo one I've heard thus far.
Cheers
rayc