Focusrite Issues

General recording topics.
JD01

Focusrite Issues

Post by JD01 »

Right,

When using my 18i20 it normally defaults to the PC soundcard.
Focusrite Control says device not connected (it is)
My computer sometimes says it is connected and it appears in Reaper, but when I try and play my project it doesn't work and crashes.
I sometimes get a blue screen with FocusriteUSBSwRoot.sys

Its been absolutely fine up until the today.

Drivers as far as I can tell are up to date.
JD01

Re: Focusrite Issues

Post by JD01 »

OK, I disabled my internal soundcard.
Turned my 18i20 off and on again. Got the computer to recognise it was there which is sometimes did.
Then opened Focusrite Control - which I never do and it said I had to update the firmware. I did this and it seems to work.

We'll see.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Nope - just died completely while I was playing along with my scratch tracks to work out my bassline.

Shit.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Is this why we've all gotten so little recorded this month? We're all having hardware issues?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bloody irritating cos I've just written a new song and really wanted to play along with the scratch tracks for a while to work out my bassline so I could record the guitars on the weekend.
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

Try installing an older driver. I had issues with my focusrite 8i6 after an update and had to use an old driver to make it work.
Cheers
Chris
my music
JD01

Post by JD01 »

CeeBee wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:18 am Try installing an older driver. I had issues with my focusrite 8i6 after an update and had to use an old driver to make it work.
Any idea where I'd get one from?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Weird. I had a bluescreen of death on the weekend as well. I didn't make a note of what the cause was though. however i was able to get up and running again and tinker and stuff?

I like CeeBee's advice. Also, that Focusrite Control Centre is VERY buggy in General.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've just changed my USB cable over to a cheap one I got from Amazon to MIDI out from my keyboard.... suddenly seems to be working.

You think maybe the USB could have been slightly intermittent?
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I noticed that MS has released a new update for Windows 10. I see that mine installed this morning. You might check your Update History and see if any new updates were installed right when this problem started to occur. Then you can roll back to a previous checkpoint and see if your device starts working again.

I don't know if it's just because of their ubiquity or if Focusrite really has that fragile of a driver, but they really seem to be hit frequently with incompatibilities with OS updates.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Well - I don't know about anything software related - but I just had 40 minutes recording bass without a hitch... I just changed the USB cable.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

JD01 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:44 pm Well - I don't know about anything software related - but I just had 40 minutes recording bass without a hitch... I just changed the USB cable.
Hey that's great news! I know how good it feels to just jam and develop a song idea. Glad you were able to get it up and running!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

good news [mention]JD01[/mention]
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I just thought it was weird that it was sort of there... working then would just disappear... And then it reappeared a couple of times. When I noticed it reappear I realised that it could be a cable issue.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:19 pm Yeah, I just thought it was weird that it was sort of there... working then would just disappear... And then it reappeared a couple of times. When I noticed it reappear I realised that it could be a cable issue.
Yeah, that sounds right then. I get this a lot with phones and USB-C cables/ports.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:14 am Is this why we've all gotten so little recorded this month? We're all having hardware issues?
Actually for me it has been the quarantine alcoholism I think :stein: :nyuk:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

[mention]JD01[/mention]

Glad you seem to have gotten it sorted.

I also get some weird things with my Scarlett 2i2 after Windows updates.

I sometimes have to reinstall the driver, I wonder if you just unplugging and plugging in the interface got it recognize it correctly, or it could just be a faulty cord as you say. Either way :like:

Computers these days have a mind of their own I tell ya.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Annoyingly.. after an hour of working fine last night my computer gave me the "install updates and shut down" message. We'll see how it is today.