Project Organisation

General recording topics.
musicturtle

Re: Project Organisation

Post by musicturtle »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:17 pm Man you guys use a lot of tracks!
That's what I said.

Of course I have fewer than you as you do live drums.

I would never get anything done if I had that many options when mixing down.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

musicturtle wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:00 pm

That's what I said.

Of course I have fewer than you as you do live drums.

I would never get anything done if I had that many options when mixing down.
Whenever I track a song with tons of options I always end up not using 75% of it anyway.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:20 pm Whenever I track a song with tons of options I always end up not using 75% of it anyway.
I used to spend inordinate amounts of time TRYING to use them all i some way.
I'm happier to ditch stuff these days.
My Joan of Arc project is massive because of the strings parts otherwise it's bass, drums, two loud guitars, 2 classical guitars and a rhythm guitar + vocals.
How many tracks did you use for Sloop John B?
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:45 pm
How many tracks did you use for Sloop John B?
Oh yeah, that one was a shit ton of tracks. I can't remember how many but it was a bunch. :eep:

I think my biggest single project ever was a song I did a long time ago called "My Tourettes Queen". I tried to give it a full Phil Spector style production. It had everything. MIDI strings, five full drum performances stacked on top of each other, tons of guitars, claps, castanets, fucking everything. It was something like 70-80 tracks.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I'll screen shot a project when I'm back at my place in a couple of days, but I'd have to say that [mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] wins for presentation.... that's clearly a skin I haven't found yet, if it's Reaper. I think I'm on the default Reaper grey, which I've sort of got used to. I'll sometimes put colours on the tracks. Not often. Although I make the reverb bus pink so I don't accidentally do stuff to it.

It won't be nearly as organised as some of these.

I also don't do this separate Mixer along the bottom of the screen though. I prefer the volume slider at the left with all the other controls.

But on colours, I do routinely use that Reaper function which plots pitch by colour in the waveform - it not only looks pretty, it's actually quite useful for tracking annoying frequencies and clicks and pops I want to minimise.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:51 am
But on colours, I do routinely use that Reaper function which plots pitch by colour in the waveform - it not only looks pretty, it's actually quite useful for tracking annoying frequencies and clicks and pops I want to minimise.
Never heard of that. Can you explain a bit more?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:40 am
Armistice wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:51 am
Here you go...

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASm_mmkum2M[/BBvideo]

I actually found accidentally... clicked on it somehow and wondered what it did.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Armistice wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:02 am
JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:40 am
Here you go...

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASm_mmkum2M[/BBvideo]

I actually found accidentally... clicked on it somehow and wondered what it did.
Wow, that's pretty cool.

(mind wanders a bit...)

So maybe auto tune is just coloring by numbers...
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:51 am .... that's clearly a skin I haven't found yet, if it's Reaper.
It is Reaper. I am not sure what skin it might be though? I think it is just the defualt reaper 4.X skin? I've not jumped to 6 yet as planned as i don't have the cash currently to upgrade my PC to windows 10, I'm staying on 7 for another little bit. I added the colors and track icons manually into my template. I also find that reaper is really cool in that as you pull, expand, shrink all the different panels with in reaper the yall change and morph into new creatures. As you pull and expand you get more bells and whistles to tinker with and as you shrick and downsize a panel you get much less to distract you. The mixer panel looks more and more like maybe protools the more you expand it?

I don't know if all this is common knowledge or not but start clicking and dragging all the various panes and panels within reaper and watch what happens. :like:
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I find the spectral peaks thing, set on 1 octave, quite useful in bass editing. It highlights my relatively rubbishy bass playing and also shows general note trends in terms of loudness etc, which helps with setting compression and even note editing.