External Hard Drive

General recording topics.
TripleM

External Hard Drive

Post by TripleM »

I got a new recording computer. I don't typically use a lot of disk space, so I wasn't even paying attention to the disk size when I bought it. I just didn't imagine a new computer not having enough space. But the internal drive is 220GB. Once I installed everything I use (including Superior Drummer 3) I'm already tight on space.

So I was thinking about getting an external USB drive. I'd use that for my "recording drive." I'd use it for all Reaper projects. On Best Buy they're like $60 for 1TB. So like nothing. I assume the USB channel can handle the throughput of recording? I usually only record one track at a time. Sometimes maybe two.

Does anybody use an external USB drive as their recording drive and does it work OK? What is the maximum number of concurrent tracks you've done (I'm thinking drummers who might use 6/8/10)? I assume it's no big deal, but I thought I'd check.
vomitHatSteve

Re: External Hard Drive

Post by vomitHatSteve »

that would depend somewhat on the hard drive.
If it's USB 3 or above, you're starting at 5Gbit per second, which should be more than enough transfer speed.

Even USB 2 should have a higher transfer rate than 1st gen Firewire devices.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Thanks Steve. The ones I saw on Best Buy were USB 3. I think I'll give it a try. Worst case I'm out $60.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

On paper, a USB drive should be way more than enough to handle several streams of audio in each direction at the same time.

Let me think while I type here...

One track at the highest sample rate of 192 kHz at 24 bit would read or write 192,000*24 bits per second, that's 4.6 Mbps.

USB 2.0 is rated at 480 Mbps, so could theoretically read or write almost 100 tracks at the same time at your interface's highest sample rate. On paper, at least.

USB 3.0 is rated at 5 Gbps, so could theoretically read or write over 1000 tracks at the same time at 192 kHz.

Check my math though...I may have forgotten to carry the 1 or something :)
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Honestly, I don't know that this math is necessary.

The device the drive's write speed will need to be compared to is the interface. It needs at least as much throughput as the (presumably also USB) audio interface.
However, are there other bottlenecks? Strangeness with the driver for the drive? Slow seeking on the disks?
rayc

Post by rayc »

OR install an additional drive in the box - when I ordered my most recent machine, 2 years ago, I added an SSD to the basic specs. I could've added it myself but it was faster and even slightly cheaper to have it done at the shop.
I run BIAB from an external USB3 HDD - not probs at all.
I used to run it from the SDD but when I upgraded to the 2020 version I couldn't be bothered transferring it from the supplied HDD.
Cheers
rayc
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Thanks guys.

I'll give the internal SSD drive a look too.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

rayc wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:03 pm OR install an additional drive in the box
True. That's usually my first impulse. I assumed trip had a laptop maybe?
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

No it's a desktop.

I did some reading about how to install an internal drive. And I still have the old desktop, so I was thinking about just using the drive from that. I think I can get the drive out of the old machine.

The new machine has extra SATA cables (power and data). They're plugged into the mother board and the ends are just dangling there, ready to be used. But the one thing I can't figure out is where to mount the additional drive. Nothing inside my computer looks like it can hold a disk drive. It doesn't look like any of the online pictures and videos where there is a drive bay just sitting there waiting for a hard drive to be inserted.

But then if it can't hold a drive, why would there be extra SATA cables sitting there and ready to be used?
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

I use a Glyph Studio Mini 500gb external drive and I have never had any problems.

I think it was like $100 new.

I run it through the USB 3/ss port.

Now granted the most I record at once is two tracks.

I like having my sound/recorded audio files on a separate drive from my program/app/plug in files.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

TripleM wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:11 pm
But then if it can't hold a drive, why would there be extra SATA cables sitting there and ready to be used?
The mother board, power supply, and case are all from different manufacturers. The PSU probably has a ton of extra cables to cover all contingencies. (I bought one last month with a floppy drive attachment). The mobo has extra SATA ports to cover all contingencies. (Any given SATA channel is 2 ports already)

But yes, I would recommend throwing a spare disk in as an internal.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Thanks again for all the help.